All the more reason to be glad that I live in a secular society.
Secular societies enforce moral laws on arguable ideological terms (e.g. utilitarianism), thus a secular society is not automatically better than one funded on religious values
Do you not see the difference between a child being sent away with the parents’ permission and having a child forcibly removed without their consent?
From the parent point of view yes I agree with you, from the child point of view there was no difference. They were sent to learn and work as in a position of indentured servitude.
I looked in the on-line Catholic Encyclopedia too, but oddly it didn’t reference the incident at all.
Why is it odd? From the point of view of a Catholic Encyclopedia it would not be a relevant entry, for a legal encyclopedia it would probably be considered relevant.
You seemed to suggest that Lutherans might have been treated differently because they were also Christians. If the Wiki article is correct, then that would seem to be irrelevant.
Just look at the present Code of Canon Law (simply because it is easier to access) you can see that an article of law by itself very often is not sufficient to address a case. You will also see that the specific of the article are of the essence.
If you want to read reasons why I think this stunt would never have been pulled on anyone other than a Jewish family please see
this article in the aforementioned encyclopedia under the section at the bottom entitled
Judaism and Church legislation.
I agree with you that the event was a very sad one, especially for the parents of the child but I do not follow your logic here. First a relationship with the Jewish people does not define how a relationship with other Christians should be or it was. It is comparing apples to oranges. I think that you conveniently forget the historical and social conditions of the Italian peninsula at the time and you just project the present ones of western culture on the problem.
A final point is that at the time all the protestant would have baptized their children immediately after birth like Catholics do, thus making the whole discussion void.