catholic03
Well-known member
Pax Christi:
I believe that Pope Francis is just as orthodox as any of his predecessors. However, this is something I do not understand. He essentially told a young (Catholic) child that his atheist father was in heaven.
A) We do not know with certainty who is saved other than the saints.
B) Even if such a person was saved due to invincible ignorance, they would have to go through purgatory for a very long time.
C) This man, having his child baptised, surely knew about the faith and so invincible ignorance is probably not possible.
D) So how could the Holy Father say that he is certainly in heaven?
I believe that Pope Francis is just as orthodox as any of his predecessors. However, this is something I do not understand. He essentially told a young (Catholic) child that his atheist father was in heaven.
A) We do not know with certainty who is saved other than the saints.
B) Even if such a person was saved due to invincible ignorance, they would have to go through purgatory for a very long time.
C) This man, having his child baptised, surely knew about the faith and so invincible ignorance is probably not possible.
D) So how could the Holy Father say that he is certainly in heaven?
Last edited: