Pope Francis what to do?

• Thread starter Thread starter Eternal_Wisdom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eternal_Wisdom

So I’ve been catholic all my life and I’m having issues with somethings I’ve heard Pope Francis has done I dont want to spell them out here I’m sure others have also heard! I just dont know what to do or were to turn this is a hard test of faith for me I tend to want control over things. I will never leave the Catholic Church for the main reason which is Christs true presence in the Eucharist! I was blessed through my childhood and teenage year to be under St. Pope John Paul ll. But like I said Pope Francis has done questionable things. Of course I pray but it worries me that he is placing like minded hierarchy. So our next Pope may have issues.

I always felt like the Catholic Church was a rock now I feel like its slipping what should I do?

From what I have witnessed, more people’s faith is in jeopardy by thinking Pope Francis is damaging the Church than any actual damage done to the Church by Pope Francis. How many people have expressed distress because of what they read about Pope Francis or been confused? I have never heard a single person say Pope Francis is confusing unless they are people who read so. OP, who are your sources? Do you read sources from multiple perspectives? What platforms are these sources on? Do the people saying these things say mostly negative things about a variety of subjects in the Church? That would all point to people citing fear and distrust in you for an agenda. What exactly are you worried about that you have knowledge of actually happening versus speculation?

Things you have heard - from others? Pray for our Pope, our priests, and only believe what you actually hear him say and understand the context.
Yes, too many people base their opinion on another’s commentary and don’t read and draw conclusions on their own.

I was blessed through my childhood and teenage year to be under St. Pope John Paul ll. But like I said Pope Francis has done questionable things. Of course I pray but it worries me that he is placing like minded hierarchy. So our next Pope may have issues.
Listen to this overwhelming fact, Eternal Wisdom. The vast majority of Church leaders around the world are overwhelmingly behind the mission of Pope Francis to make the nuts and bolts of Scripture our urgent priority. The Church for a generation or two, has emphasized that we are in the eschatological times which doesn’t mean that the world is about to end, but that we must focus on what is really important in Jesus message as we know it. Those detractors of Pope Francis will surely face a harsh judgement for the damage they’ve done to the faith of people like yourself. Try and garner the big picture of what Pope Francis has accomplished so far and what his vision for the future is and you’ll realize just how close to Jesus he is.

I’ve just yesterday received my copy of Pope Francis’ “Let Us Dream” and can’t wait to read it. We have no fear of letting this very holy man guide us into the future.

https://www.amazon.com/Let-Us-Dream-Better-Future/dp/1982171863

Here’s a different perspective for the OP, repurposed from my post in the Pope Francis Appreciation Thread 2.0.

I struggle with a lot of Pope Francis’ pontificate. I decided long ago that my proper place was to work through my issues myself (not publicly) and try to focus on the following approach, which was nicely encapsulated by @christofirst:
The way I see it, each Pope offers and teaches something I need to consider, something I need to apply in my life, even, or maybe especially if it’s something that challenges my complacency, my attitude that I already know what’s best for the Church.

Last edited:
I’m Catholic no matter who the pope is. I don’t care for the theological leanings of the current pontiff. I will most likely outlive him and maybe a few others that I like or don’t like.

Yes, too many people base their opinion on another’s commentary and don’t read and draw conclusions on their own.
With respect, I will say that what disturbs me about Pope Francis isn’t what others say about him (though that can certainly be disturbing, particularly those who speak viciously against him) but is indeed in the words Pope Francis says from his own mouth, even allowing for context.

I think it would be counter-productive (for many) to keep trying to tell people that Pope Francis has never actually said anything disturbing, or that any disturbance is all down to people misinterpreting him. Apologists did try that for a couple years, but even many of the mainstream apologists had to finally acknowledge that this was turning into gaslighting, and sometimes what Pope Francis says can’t be whitewashed or explained away as a misunderstanding.

At the same time, this is different from saying that Pope Francis is a reason to leave the Church.

The most helpful thing, I think, is to remember that the papacy is a clearly defined office, and the man who occupies it is not promised infallibility of private opinions, or impeccability of personal morals. He can speak infallibly ex cathedra in defining a once-for-all teaching on a matter of faith or morals, provided this doesn’t contradict previous infallibly defined teachings. But in other matters… our popes are fallible and fallen men, in the ordinary scope of things – just like the rest of us. Vatican II called for more involvement from the laity, and perhaps it is providential that God would follow this up by allowing us to see multiple crises in the clergy, to shake us into action and adopting our more active role as laity in the Church.

I would also agree that as a pragmatic step, it may be healthy for many individuals to step away from the news cycles, unless we’re in a position to actually take constructive action in response to some topic. Too many of us are too inundated with information we can’t really do anything about, and it seems to me that this sidetracks us from focusing on what God is actually calling us to do in our daily, local lives.

Last edited:
Feelings mislead and are often based in errant or incomplete information. Dig into the supposed quotes of Pope Francis and you will not have as much doubt.

Feelings mislead and are often based in errant or incomplete information. Dig into the supposed quotes of Pope Francis and you will not have as much doubt.
Not all quotes are “supposed quotes”.

I don’t even want to get into a conversation about this, but honestly I think it would enhance these conversations if folks would stop gaslighting and acknowledge that sometimes a pope might actually say something that is actually problematic, even when the context is fully examined, and that’s okay. Not in the sense that it’s okay-okay – but okay in the sense that it’s not a sufficient reason to leave the Church, and here’s the explanation why.

When a person knows that they’ve been gaslit, the way to regain trust is not to keep gaslighting. It’s to own up to the full truth, and move forward from there.

Last edited:
When a person knows that they’ve been gaslit, the way to regain trust is not to keep gaslighting. It’s to own up to the full truth, and move forward from there.
I’m not sure this is fair… I don’t think that people who defend Pope Francis are attempting to be untruthful but rather that they’re saying they understand him.

Are we being sea lioned about gaslighting?

There is an active and growing offshoot of the Malcontent Catholics, inc. They scream, shout, murmur, gossip and…quite often without bothering to investigate the quotes - some of which have been composites done by dishonest and lying media types.

Should we all pray for the Holy Father?

I think so.

Last edited:
Am I being sea lioned for gaslighting?
:roll_eyes:

I’m not going to stay for an exchange of accusations. I spoke up to express my concern that, when a person raises a concern, it amplifies rather than soothes the problem to try to tell the person that if only they saw clearly, they’d realize they’re wrong to think there’s a problem at all (or, the problem is that they claim there’s a problem). That increases distrust and alienation in those whose legitimate concerns go unaddressed. I agree that there are many non-legitimate concerns, and that is a pity. And I agree that there has been gossip, and slander, and dishonesty and lying in the media. And I agree that we should all pray for the Holy Father. All I’m saying is that we should also be respectful to those who are troubled for reasons not rooted in gossip, slander, or dishonesty. And I am saying (because I think it’s a service to God to say what’s true, even if no one listens) that it seems like a psychologically proven fact that distrust and social division is increased when those on any given ‘side’ of an issue attempt to completely suppress or turn a blind eye to the concerns of the other, presuming that the only people not already in complete agreement with one’s position must be entirely crackpots/evil/etc. Yes, there are crackpots and there is evil. But there are also legitimate concerns, and if you smack them down while smacking at the crackpots, you cause ripples of resentment and distrust among those you never needed to alienate.

If you consider me a sea lion, consider me slipping back into the sea?

🌊 💧 🌊

Last edited:
What about the pachamama incident?
Pope Francis stated that there was no intention of idolatry. Read Laudito Si which begins with the canticle of Saint Francis of Assisi: “Praise be to you, my Lord, through our Sister, Mother Earth, who sustains and governs us, and who produces various fruit with coloured flowers and herbs”.

Let us not be quick to describe as superstition or paganism certain religious practices that arise spontaneously from the life of peoples. Rather, we ought to know how to distinguish the wheat growing alongside the tares, for “popular piety can enable us to see how the faith, once received, becomes embodied in a culture and is constantly passed on”.[[111]]
  1. It is possible to take up an indigenous symbol in some way, without necessarily considering it as idolatry. A myth charged with spiritual meaning can be used to advantage and not always considered a pagan error. Some religious festivals have a sacred meaning and are occasions for gathering and fraternity, albeit in need of a gradual process of purification or maturation. A missionary of souls will try to discover the legitimate needs and concerns that seek an outlet in at times imperfect, partial or mistaken religious expressions, and will attempt to respond to them with an inculturated spirituality.
Source:“Querida Amazonia”: Post-Synodal Exhortation to the People of God and to All Persons of Good Will (2 February 2020) | Francis

It’s about not trampling all over people and their cultural heritage, but rather guiding people by the hand but from where they are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back