Porn star attends GOP fundraiser

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ahimsa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
oat soda:
genocide!? why don’t you look in the mirror. our country committs far more genocide with abortion!!! with your logic, we should start by over throwing our govenrment first. second, Pope JPII the great and Pope B-16 both called the war in iraq unjust. read the catechism, not fox news to learn about your faith.

the fact of the matter is many of muslim countries follow natural law much better then our western “tolerant” democracies.
It’s not an either/or, friend.
Oppose abortion here.
Oppose genocide there.

The travesty of the Sudan should be stopped.
Abortion should be stopped.

Read the catechism indeed. Infallibility does not apply to politics. I think they were wrong on this. Particularly after what was found when we went in. Torture rooms, tales of the worst sorts of crimes. And now such horror scenes occuring in the Sudan and other places.

It is not an either or. It is not a question of media sources. No one disputes the events in Sudan or that Cubans have suffered under Castro.

The question is what will the rich Nations of the world do?
 
40.png
Pete2:
Gee, you all are pretty darn charitable to the do-no-wrong GOP… I wonder what the reaction of this message board would have been if a porn star attended a Democratic fundraiser.

Pete
They do attend Dem fundraisers. Quite a few of them actually.
 
Back to the topic at hand. Mary Carey chose to join the GOP, the GOP didn’t choose her. Blaming the GOP for this is like blaming my car for me having bought it. And believe me, I have plenty of issues with the GOP at the moment.

Past that, perhaps she is becoming more in line with Conservative thinking. She is already a fiscal Conservative who agrees with many Republican policies, i.e. lower taxes, smaller gov’t, etc. Perhaps that will mesh into her social and personal beliefs in time as well.

And finally, some of you need to lose the hypocrisy. Love the sinner, not the sin. Jesus ate with the lowliest of sinners to teach them they needed to repent. Perhaps Carey will come to that conclusion as well. She’s taken the first step by joining with the more moral of the political parties. Why not give her the benefit of the doubt rather than turning your noses up to her?

I don’t approve of what she does for a living (but then, she doesn’t need my approval anyway), nor am I suggesting we approve of it just to make her feel “included” or any nonsense like that, but instead try to see the good in her. Maybe, just maybe if she comes to see that we are NOT hypocrites who shun sinners away from us like the Pharisees of old, then just maybe she’ll want to learn more about what makes us who we are. That “what” being Christ and the RCC. No guarantees this will happen, but how can we not pray that it does and try to make it so?
 
40.png
MichaelTDoyle:
You won’t get me to apologize for supporting the removal of a brutal sadistic murderer from terrorizing another generation under his boot.
Err…given the title of this thread and after reading the posts here, did anyone ask you to apologize?
 
Why not give her the benefit of the doubt…maybe she has had a change of heart. Does anyone know if she is still ‘active’ in the porno industry? Perhaps she’s given it up.

Besides, many of us here have had struggles with pornography & sexual addictions, myself included…who knows? She may reform…
 
From what I can tell, she is still active. But things can change, we should give her the benefit of the doubt, as you and I both stated. It takes guts to be in that business and come out as a Republican.
 
It probably isn’t a smart move for the president who was the choice of 80% of morality based voters to do this.

On the other hand, all the porn stars in the country probably do less damage than one bad politician.

As long as Bush doesn’t compromise his positions and beliefs, if some people whose lifestyles he doesn’t support decide they want to back him because of terrorism, taxes, etc., then I guess its their right. After all, the GOP isn’t a church. It’s still looks bad though.
 
40.png
UnworthySoul:
They do attend Dem fundraisers. Quite a few of them actually.
The last I heard there was no law against ladies of the evening exercising their political rights. I notice no one is singling out the “johns” who show up at both party fundraisers. 🙂
 
40.png
Thekla:
All politicians accept money for services rendered. Read the story about Rep. Cunningham getting 1.6 million from his home sale. Just about every last one of them is doing nothing different than what poor men and women do on the streets of this country every day.

The hypocrisy lies with the moral values crowd who are suspiciously silent or make a joke of it.
Thekla lighten up it was a joke intended to keep a dog fight from breaking out;) And as far as poor people well I know what it is like and that is as far as I will go in my explaination.
 
40.png
UnworthySoul:
I don’t approve of what she does for a living (but then, she doesn’t need my approval anyway), nor am I suggesting we approve of it just to make her feel “included” or any nonsense like that, but instead try to see the good in her. Maybe, just maybe if she comes to see that we are NOT hypocrites who shun sinners away from us like the Pharisees of old, then just maybe she’ll want to learn more about what makes us who we are. That “what” being Christ and the RCC. No guarantees this will happen, but how can we not pray that it does and try to make it so?
It seems you’re saying that joining the Republican Party increases one’s chances of becoming Catholic, specifically, or Christian, generally.
 
40.png
Ahimsa:
It seems you’re saying that joining the Republican Party increases one’s chances of becoming Catholic, specifically, or Christian, generally.
I don’t know as I’d claim that but I think at this point you are far more likely to bump into a few! 🙂
 
40.png
HagiaSophia:
The last I heard there was no law against ladies of the evening exercising their political rights. I notice no one is singling out the “johns” who show up at both party fundraisers. 🙂
Excellent point about the johns!
 
40.png
Jay74:
It probably isn’t a smart move for the president who was the choice of 80% of morality based voters to do this.

On the other hand, all the porn stars in the country probably do less damage than one bad politician.

As long as Bush doesn’t compromise his positions and beliefs, if some people whose lifestyles he doesn’t support decide they want to back him because of terrorism, taxes, etc., then I guess its their right. After all, the GOP isn’t a church. It’s still looks bad though.
You said this isn’t a smart move for the President. Ummm, what isn’t? He didn’t invite her, she paid and showed up of her own accord. The President had nothing to do with that. Should he have had her kept out? Not very Christ-like thing to do.
 
40.png
UnworthySoul:
You said this isn’t a smart move for the President. Ummm, what isn’t? He didn’t invite her, she paid and showed up of her own accord. The President had nothing to do with that. Should he have had her kept out? Not very Christ-like thing to do.
I agree. I think one of the best things the President can do to show how much like Christ he is, is to embrace porn stars who want to give him money.
 
40.png
UnworthySoul:
Excellent point about the johns!
It has always amused me when I see them being “rounded up” and being marched into police stations — it seems their “partners” in crime never get hauled in, although I lived in a place where one area became so infested with streetwalkers and became so unsafe that the inhabitants took to roaming the streets, taking photos of the drivers stopping and their license plates and having our local paper run them prominently. I cannot tell you how quickly the area cleaned up - I mean, two weekends and it was over – poof - like magic.

🙂
 
40.png
PiusXIII:
I agree. I think one of the best things the President can do to show how much like Christ he is, is to embrace porn stars who want to give him money.
Don’t you find it amazing that in life, the mirror which enables us to see others is so much more clear than the one which gives off our own self image?

AFAIK the woman is an American who exercised her right to get a ticket and show up. What’s your best advice on how it ought to have been handled? What would you have done?

Do you find it odd, that the media out of all the people attending focused on this one? Was there no one else there who was worthy of attention for their good works, their charity, their love of country?
 
40.png
PiusXIII:
I agree. I think one of the best things the President can do to show how much like Christ he is, is to embrace porn stars who want to give him money.
Quite being snide. Do you honestly think the President had a guest list he checked off as people arrived? Does he himself cash the checks? Look, it’s simple, she is an American, she has the right to join the Party regardless of how the Repubs feel about her joining, she did nothing to cause a scene other than give the sensationalists a little chuckle at the situation, and she apparently is coming around to Republican, i.e. conservative ideals. Not everyone gets a Saul-on-the-road-to-Damascus conversion.

I might also ask, you know one or two of the other people there likely made a good deal of cash under less than honorable means, right? Why no comment saying the President shouldn’t take their money? I mean, these guys lie and keep it hidden, at least the pornstar makes no pretensions nor does she try to fool anyone regarding how she makes her money. While what she does is vile, at least she’s honest about it. That’s more than can be said for some Republicans (and MANY Democrats).
 
40.png
UnworthySoul:
You said this isn’t a smart move for the President. Ummm, what isn’t? He didn’t invite her, she paid and showed up of her own accord. The President had nothing to do with that. Should he have had her kept out? Not very Christ-like thing to do.
Good points all. 🙂

I think the fact still remains that one bad politician does more damage then porn stars. If one of them wants to help the president because they support him on important issues such as terrorism, it would be questionable to turn them away.

It may look bad from some perspectives, but I think the country, and president, have more urgent things to worry about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top