2) Clotted Cream to go in the tea.
3) Tim Curry
4)Big Ben
5)Double Decker Buses
6) neat telephone booths
7)neat policemen hats

Stilton Cheese
Thornton’s Chocolate
Wonderfully, dry, subtle sense of humor (many Brits)
Wonderfully, dry, not so subtle sense of humor (Monty Python)

History

Architecture

Museums

Pubs

Countryside

Ethnicity & cultural diversity

Proximity to the rest of Europe (It’s about 1 hr from where I live to Paris in your car, takes me 16 hours to drive home to Mayo!) Rome is a 2hr flight.

1. The whole “tea thing” . Loved it when I spent time over there. We need to import that over here.
  2. Easy access to the continent, but far enough away that it doesn’t become totally “Euro-weenied”.

1. Music
  2. British Comedy
  3. Great, ponderous age (I stood in Westminster, next to the tomb of Henry V, and thought,“All of this was old before the United States was even a nation!”). I live in Las Vegas where we implode things after 30 years.
  4. Noble Martyrs (Saints Thomas Becket, Thomas More, John Fisher, et al). I stood at the Altar of the Broken Sword, where Thomas a Becket was killed, and where our Holy Father prayed with the Archbishop of Canterbury, and then on Tower Hill, where Saint Thomas More and Saint John Fisher were executed. My soul rang like a bell inside me.
  5. Great architecture
  6. Great literature (Shakespeare, Donne, the KJV of the Bible…regardless of the fact that it isn’t ours, it is poetically beautiful. Actually, it can be said to belong to the entire English speaking world).
  7. As green as you can imagine.
  8. Steadfast allies.

Roundabouts (I happen to like them better than stop signs. If you travel there pick up a driving handbook, so you use them correctly. Otherwise you’ll get some friendly gestures.)

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Architecture

Pub Culture (For those who haven’t been in a while, the food is generally excellent)

The People

The Language (We sort of speak the same language…except for the Welsh 😃 )

Cool sayings like “donkey’s years”, “dodgy”, etc. I enjoyed sharing in our different slangs…

Shared dislike of the French

Safer driving on the Motorways (When traffic is moving most people don’t weave…unless they’re americans. It is very fast though, so don’t get to the far right unless you really mean it.)

Cheers,

Robert.

PS Fighting Fat…I’m not so sure of the diversity. Perhaps in Essex, but not in the greater Oxford area or in the high tech businesses I called on. Since I live in the Bay Area of California, I think you’d be hard pressed to find anything nearly as diverse in the UK.

1. Great literature (Shakespeare, Donne, the KJV of the Bible…regardless of the fact that it isn’t ours, it is poetically beautiful. Actually, it can be said to belong to the entire English speaking world).
    ===========================
    True!

40.png
rlg94086:
PS Fighting Fat…I’m not so sure of the diversity. Perhaps in Essex, but not in the greater Oxford area or in the high tech businesses I called on. Since I live in the Bay Area of California, I think you’d be hard pressed to find anything nearly as diverse in the UK.
Cooo! You’ve obviously never been to Birmingham, or Brick Lane, or Manchester matey!
🙂

It is the land of my ancestors…

great books and authors…

James Herriot

Jamie Oliver…love his green curry chicken 🙂

University of Sheffield

Fr M J Conroy University of Sheffield

Rare roast beef and Yorkshire pudding

Shakespeare

William Blake

John Donne

Gerard Manley Hopkins

Chesterton

C. S. Lewis

Jane

40.png
FightingFat:
Cooo! You’ve obviously never been to Birmingham, or Brick Lane, or Manchester matey!
🙂
Of those, I’ve been to Manchester once to call on an account: Data General/EMC. All white folks. I was probably too focused on finding my way to observe the locals on the street 😃 .

Cheers,

Robert.

Lots of Bed and Breakfasts

Good Manners

Land of most of my ancesters

Magna Carta

Great stone masonry

Lots of walking paths

Double Decker buses

Mini Coopers… :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Besides the history, the authors, the architects, the beautiful countryside, the schools and colleges, might I laud the typical English manners? People queue, rather than mill. Even the city pace is slower, and people look each other in the eye. Above all, no matter what, people there basically really care about other people. They might mutter about immigration, but are the first to respond to the new immigrant family with blankets, casseroles, tea and sympathy. The old story about the British family who were solidly ready to kill Hitler and any invading Germans, finding a wounded German soldier on their land, and instead taking him in, treating him like a son, and saving his life, is representative in a nutshell of the British character–and his exemplification of “love thy neighbor as thyself”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back