L
Lisa44
Guest
Wow, your family prays for 2 hours every night!?my family is very devout and we pray the Rosary together every night at 9pm. we pray all 4 mysteries (joyful sorrowful, glorious, and light) every night.![]()
Wow.
Wow, your family prays for 2 hours every night!?my family is very devout and we pray the Rosary together every night at 9pm. we pray all 4 mysteries (joyful sorrowful, glorious, and light) every night.![]()
Thatâs funny because I have the opposite experience! For me, if I say the Rosary too fast, I have a difficult time meditating on the mysteries and so it gets real boring real fast! I usually end up spending about 35-40 minutes on 5 decades simply because that extra time for meditation makes all the difference. But you see, everyone prays in different ways.If I say it slowly, then it seems overwhelmingly boring.
I agree with youI currently pray 5 decades about 3 times a week.
Iâm trying to pray 5 decades DAILY. And then increase it to 10 decades, and then get up to 15 decades a day.
I commend everyone for persevering with this prayer that is, I think, the MOST hated prayer of the devil.
*The following text of Father Gabriel Amorth, chief exorcist of the Vatican, is taken from the March-April, 2003 issue of "Echo of Mary, Queen of Peace."http://www.michaeljournal.org/rosarypower.htm *
Faith as Trust and Joy-Evangelium
The recent Apostolic Letter of John Paul II, âRosarium Virginis Mariaeâ (released last October 16) encourages all Christians to turn back to the prayer strongly recommended both by the latest Pontiffs and recent Marian apparitions. Paul VI called the rosary a compendium of the Gospel. To make it more complete, John Paul II added the âmysteries of lightâ to cover Jesusâ public life. Padre Pio called the Rosary beads a weapon of extraordinary power against Satan.
Another excerpt:One day a colleague of mine heard the devil say during an exorcism: âEvery Hail Mary is like a blow on my head. If Christians knew how powerful the Rosary was, it would be my end.â The secret that makes this prayer so effective is that the Rosary is both prayer and meditation. It is addressed to the Father, to the Blessed Vrigin, and to the Holy Trinity, and is a meditation centered on Christ.
The Secret of the Rosary, by St. Louis de Montfort, Forty-Third Rose: Fighting Distractions
When the Rosary is well said it gives Jesus and Mary more glory and it is more meritorious for the soul than any other prayer. But it is also the hardest prayer to say well and to persevere in, owing especially to the distractions which almost inevitably attend the constant repitition of the same words.
When we say the Little Office of Our Lady, or the Seven Penitential Psalms, or any prayers other than the Rosary, the variety of words and expressions keeps us alert, prevents our imagination from wandering, and so makes it easier for us to say them well. On the contrary, because of the constant repetition of the same Our Father and Hail Mary in the ame unvarying form, it is difficult, while saying the Rosary, not to become wearied and inclined to sleep or to turn to other prayers that are more refreshing and less tedious. This goes to show that one needs much greater devotion to persevere in saying the Holy Rosary than in saying any other prayer, even the Psalms of David.
Our imagination, which is hardly still a minute, makes our task harder and then of course there is the devil who never tires of trying to distract us and keep us from praying. To what ends does not the evil one go against us while we are engaged in saying our Rosary against him.
Being human, we easily become tired and slipshodâbut the devil makes these difficulties worse when we are saying the Rosary. Before we even begin he makes us feel bored, distracted or exhaustedâand when we have started praying he oppresses us from all sides. And when, after much difficulty and many distractions, we have finished, he whispers to us: âWhat you have just said is worthless. Itâs useless for you to say the Rosary. You had better get on with other things. Itâs only a waste of time to pray without paying attention to what youâre saying; half an hourâs meditation or some spiritual reading would be much better. Tomorrow when youâre not feeling so sluggish youâll pray better; donât finish your Rosary until tomorrow.â By tricks of this kind the devil gets us to give up the Rosary altogether or else hardly say it at all, and we keep putting it off or else change to some other devotion.
Dear Rosary Confraternity members, do not listen to the devil, but be of good heart even if your imagination has been bothering you throughout your Rosary, filling your mind with all kinds of distracting thoughtsâas long as you really tried hard to get rid of them as soon as they came. Always remember that the best Rosary is the one with the most merit, and there is more merit in praying when it is hard than when it is easy. Prayer is all the harder when it is (naturally speaking) distasteful to the soul and is filled with those annoying little ants and flies running about in your imagination, against yourwill, and scarcely allowing you the time to enjoy a little peace and appreaciate the beauty of what you are saying.
Even if you have to fight distractions all through your whole Rosary be sure to fight well, arms in hand: that is to say, do not stop saying your Rosary even if it is hard to say and you have absolutely no sensible devotion. It is a terrible battle, I know, but one that is profitable to the faithful soul. If you put down your arms, that is, if you give upt he Rosary, you will be admitting defeat and then, having won, the devil will leave you alone.
But at the Day of Judgment he will taunt you because of your faithlessness and lack of courage. âHe that is faithful in that which is least, is faithul also in that which is greater.â (Luke 16:10) He who fights even the smallest distractions faithfully when he says even the very smallest prayer he will also be faithful in great things. We can be absolutely certain of this because the Holy Spirit has told us so.
So all of you, servants and handmaids of Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary, who have made up your minds to say the Rosary every day, be of good heart. Do not let the flies (it is thus that I call the distractions that make war on you during prayer) make you cowardly abandon the company of Jesus and Mary, in whose holy presence you always are when saying the Rosary. In what follows I shall give you suggestions for getting rid of distractions.
Yes, it started with my grandmother who spent half her life in the church. As far as I can remember, she always brings us (all her grandchildren) along with her. It has been years since she passed away. However, my mother never forgets the value my grandmother taught us all. Religiosity and spirituality. And I know someday I want my future children to have this value too.Wow, your family prays for 2 hours every night!?
Wow.
Thatâs a good attitude to have. In fact thatâs what I did. Itâs like spirtiual weightlifting to me. You start out small and work your way up. Now Iâm up to the Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious mysteries everydayâŚand it is getting slightly easier to get through them all (keeping in mind it is still a battle to get through).I currently pray 5 decades about 3 times a week.
Iâm trying to pray 5 decades DAILY. And then increase it to 10 decades, and then get up to 15 decades a day.
Thnx for the commen is really helpful to know thatThatâs a good attitude to have. In fact thatâs what I did. Itâs like spirtiual weightlifting to me. You start out small and work your way up. Now Iâm up to the Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious mysteries everydayâŚand it is getting slightly easier to get through them all (keeping in mind it is still a battle to get through).
I canât tell you the benefits I received from it. It started with mending a broken heart, then increased my faith, it brought peace to my anxieties and worries, it reduced my stress at workâŚmy workouts at the gym are even getting better and Iâve been a happier person.
One of my favorite pieces in the Secret of the Rosary is when St. Dominic through the power of Mary forced the demons to tell everybody which saint they most feared and should be most loved and revered by menâŚthey said the Mother of Jesus (the demons fear her so much they canât even say her name) and that those who prayed the rosary faithfully until death will be saved by her intercession from eternal damnation. Pretty good endorsement if you ask me.
I know what you meanI pray the Rosary every afternoon and then one decade in my evening prayers. I only started at the start of this year, but I have to say that it has changed my life. I sleep better, business at my office has increased, and I have never been closer to God.
It is certainly not a talisman, but a powerful form of prayer.
Steve
It is good to know your family is doing that together every night.my family is very devout and we pray the Rosary together every night at 9pm. we pray all 4 mysteries (joyful sorrowful, glorious, and light) every night.![]()
you could go to mass early or go to your bedroomâŚPray the rosary it will relax you. Injoy the graces which can be found in the below linkI should and want to pray the rosary daily, but I find it too hard to find a quiet moment to sit down and pray. I do try to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy every Sunday.
-Jeanne
Going to mass daily is out of the question, I canât drive and I have to be at school for 7:00 anyways. But I am making an effort to pray the rosary more. Taking small steps by praying at least once a week. I would love to get closer to Our Blessed Mother.you could go to mass early or go to your bedroomâŚPray the rosary it will relax you. Injoy the graces which can be found in the below link![]()
Thatâs interesting⌠Iâm Eastern Catholic and so is my entire family and weâve always prayed the rosary â every night since I can remember.It is certainly a wonderful prayer, and does work wonders for those who are devoted to it.
However, as Iâm sure you know, itâs not a requirement of our Faith that we pray it. Many Eastern Catholic Christians do not consider it a part of their spiritual heritage, and have devotions of their own which they consider equally wonderful.
Iâm for Ireland and Ireland was associated with strong Catholics throughout 1800-1990 until people started not to have such a strong background of religion in them now. Itâs a shame becauseThatâs interesting⌠Iâm Eastern Catholic and so is my entire family and weâve always prayed the rosary â every night since I can remember.
There are many times I am distracted while praying the rosary. It is a difficult prayer, and I believe the devil himself wishes to cause interruption at times. However, I also believe that our blessed Mother is like all Motherâs, and accepts, and loveâs our prayer now matter how imperfect it may be.It is hard for me to pray the Rosary. I get distracted (sometimes by disturbing thoughtsâŚScrupulosity issues) and have trouble meditating on the Mysteries and then I worry that I am messing it up (usually after the 4th decade, I pray that my recitation of the Rosary will be accepted and stuffâŚis that okay BTW? to add a prayer between decades).