Except one is authentic Catholic teaching (CCC 312) and the other is a misunderstanding of it. Apples to oranges has nothing to do with it.
As for my account, I don’t know exactly why God specifically decided to change languages. What I can say, and showed you from Haydock’s Commentary, that mortal men were trying to forcibly bridge the gap between themselves and Heaven for their own convenience. And God punished them as a result of their pride. Instead of futilely building bridges towards Heaven, they now had to build them towards each other. And they did.
But it doesn’t matter what I think. As I said, I don’t know exactly why. And for this discussion, I don’t need to. We are discussing whether or not God’s punishment of the people building the Tower was evil, and I’ve demonstrated that God can commit no evil. The Catholic Church teaches that God can do no evil but makes good in light of evil situations. We were also discussing whether or not it is permissible to pray for evil on others, which I also demonstrated that it’s not. Can we agree on that?
Not so quickly, no.
Perhaps the reason you’re saying “you don’t know” why God changed our languages is that you are trying to find a way around God participating in evil (even with a small e). Again, not trying to put words in your mouth and maybe I genuinely misread you, but, please, at least consider this possibility.
As for various understandings of this passage, perhaps I am engaging in indivdiual interpretation, but, the way I’ve always seen it is that God, as a measure to prevent us from becoming too proud (as we were already becoming with the Tower), He divided our languages so that we would not be able pretty much to do anything we put our minds to and, thus, not only become too prideful but also perhaps no longer rely on Him. So, indeed, I really don’t know if I even see it as a direct punishment, but more like a stopgap measure, if you will. To me, this interpretation actually makes the most sense out of the text we have.
I will still argue that, as a privation of some good, the loss of a common language does constitute a “temporal” as I have been having it, evil (small e, as in, “bad stuff happening”, not a moral Evil).
And, is it true, does the Catholic Church say that God can really do no evil at all? I believe She says that He can do no absolute or, if you will, moral evil, but, as I udnerstand it, he can deprive men of some good in order to facilitate a greater good. (Again, we can take the Babel example here.)
As far as you having demonstrated that we should not pray for evil on others as correction and/or punishment, I would argue that you have yet convincingly to demonstrate that. yes, we are to love our enemies (and presumably, even God’s, as He does the same for them), but, in loving them, in desiring to see them liberated from sin of some kind, can we not pray that some evil befall them as punishment/correction in that loving spirit?