Praying the Rosary in Latin

• Thread starter Thread starter Pray_in_Latin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pray_in_Latin

A few months ago I heard a priest say on EWTN that he knew some small children who loved to pray the Rosary in latin and that if a child can learn it, so can an adult. That, plus seeing “The Passion” and hearing latin, were very inspirational. So, I took up the challange and, lo’ and behold, am discovering that praying in latin is a wonderful experience. I still pray the Rosary in English when in a group setting, but for private prayer its latin all the way.

I started learning with the Sign of the Cross (heard it a million times in the movies) and the Glory Be. Then the Hail Mary, Fatima, Lord’s Prayer, etc. Going to tackle the Apostle’s Creed next.

Anybody else here learning to pray in latin?

Ave Maria!

assuming Rome approved of the Latin Rosary, I would love it if on a special day, night, or other time you could go to church for a Latin Rosary… 👍

space ghost:
assuming Rome approved of the Latin Rosary
It is a private devotional, not something that is subject to liturgical norms.

And yes, I am intrigued with the idea of learning it in Latin.

I pray the Rosary in Latin during Lent and each year try to learn a new prayer in Latin as well. This year was the prayer to St. Michael. Next year, the Angelus, I think. Glad to hear others think this is a good idea, too.👍

I have the Virtual Rosary, which you can download for free! at www.virtualrosary.org. You can choose to display the prayers in like 10 different languages: Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Tagalog, + more i cant remember.

I love to pray in Latin! (I am a student of Latin) I find that Latin prayer really lifts the heart and mind to God.
I always use Latin when I cross myself, (and have been known, when with others, to accidentally start a prayer “In nomine…” oops!) I also hope no-one hears me when I have a go at Greg Chant “Gloria in excelsis Deo!” etc. while praying privately.

I am the father of four boys and I pay each one five dollars for every prayer they learn in Latin. Ten for longer ones (Credo, Angelus); two for shorter ones (Glory Be). (I also told them I’d pay them 100 dollars if they memorized Chesterton’s Lepanto, in English, haha.)

I love to pray the Rosary in Latin, I have pieced together mp3’s of the prayers in Gregorian Chant I can play it and Chant the Rosary in Latin…I love it.

As to “assuming Rome approved of the Latin Rosary”. It is ok to pray in any other language, why NOT the official language of the Church? Let’s not forget that most of the prayers of the Rosary were penned in Latin in the very early days of the Church, long before the English language developed, and in fact are FAR more poetically aesthetic in Latin, thus in my way of looking at it, the prayers take on an added beauty in their native tongue.

Pax,
Eric Malain

40.png
Trevelyan:
I love to pray in Latin! (I am a student of Latin) I find that Latin prayer really lifts the heart and mind to God.
I always use Latin when I cross myself, (and have been known, when with others, to accidentally start a prayer “In nomine…” oops!) I also hope no-one hears me when I have a go at Greg Chant “Gloria in excelsis Deo!” etc. while praying privately.
Private prayer in Latin is one of the ways I am recovering my lost Latin (cf. I want to Learn Latin ). I love it!

When I take a lead part in public recitation, I don’t have a problem with “Our Father…” nor “Hail Mary…” but when I begin with the syllables “Glo-ry” it is a surprise as to whether I will follow them with “…to the Father…” or “…-a Patri et Filio…” 😛 (I’m sure it would not be too embarrassing, however – There is a woman in my parish who leads a decade in her native Italian, while others respond in English (Except me – When she leads Italian, I respond Latin 😛 ))

I also use Lauds and Vespers from Scepter Press when I pray the Liturgy of the Hours (I am too poor to afford the 4 volume Liturgia Horarum). Even on feast days and special seasons, the psalter remains the same. 😉

Several years ago I was hospitalized ater a serious accident. I could hardly put a sentence together or pray. I was able, however, to say the “Our Father” in Latin. Perhaps because I had just recently learned the prayer it was residing in a different part of my memory. It was something I could “hang on to” in a rough time.

I love this thread! 😃

We say a family rosary once a week, gathered together in the living room…and no one knows (even me!) what’s going to come out of my mouth: English or Latin. My dd who is 9, also surprises us occasionally be leading her decade in Latin.

I don’t understand why it is exactly…but I often feel urged to pray NOT in my native, comfortable English. The Latin focuses me more on the words, and the act of prayer.

Plus, my dh is in formation to the permanent diaconate, and doesn’t know ANY Latin. I almost feel like it’s my job (as one with quite a few years of Latin study!) to make sure he knows some Latin, and some Latin prayers before he’s ordained! 😉

So, what is the best recording of all the prayers of the Rosary in Latin? I want to get my pronunciation right.

40.png
rosario120:
So, what is the best recording of all the prayers of the Rosary in Latin? I want to get my pronunciation right.
Here is an excellent connection of the prayers in sound files…the site is in Latin, but I think you might be able to figur it out.

fshcm.com/preces.html

It’s at the Miami Chapter of the Family of St. Jerome orginization…a lay orginization dedicated to studying, and promoting the use of Latin.

Praying the Rosary in Latin was an experience for me and it still is. Speaking of which, does anyone know the Latin translation for the Luminous mysteries? It’s the only mystery I cannot pray in Latin.

40.png
Yirmeyahu:
Praying the Rosary in Latin was an experience for me and it still is. Speaking of which, does anyone know the Latin translation for the Luminous mysteries? It’s the only mystery I cannot pray in Latin.
  1. Eius in Baptismate apud Iordanem
  2. in sui ipsius autorevelatione apud Canense matrimonium
  3. in Regni Dei proclamatione coniuncta cum invitamento ad conversionem
  4. Ipsius in Tranfiguratione ac denique
  5. in Eucharistiae institutione, quae nempe sacramentalis est paschalis mysterii declaratio…

lyoncoeur said:
1. Eius in Baptismate apud Iordanem
2. in sui ipsius autorevelatione apud Canense matrimonium
3. in Regni Dei proclamatione coniuncta cum invitamento ad conversionem
4. Ipsius in Tranfiguratione ac denique
5. in Eucharistiae institutione, quae nempe sacramentalis est paschalis mysterii declaratio…

Hey thanks. One other question… How do you say Luminous Mysteries in Latin?

40.png
Yirmeyahu:
Hey thanks. One other question… How do you say Luminous Mysteries in Latin?
I hope I am not taking you too litterly…but…

Mysteria Luminosa

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back