Praying to Mary

• Thread starter Thread starter centuri0n
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicci,

You might also say this to your formerly-Catholic-now-saved-Baptist MIL-2-B:

You are going to learn about your religion in RCIA class from someone who has a graduate degree in it (yes, all priests must earn a graduate degree in seminary before ordination) and NOT from an ex-Catholic who never attended/paid attention to her Sunday School classes!!!

It’s blunt, yes, but considering the effort she has put into slamming and ambushing you, it needs to be said.

Good luck,
Nan

Nan S:
Nicci,

You might also say this to your formerly-Catholic-now-saved-Baptist MIL-2-B:

You are going to learn about your religion in RCIA class from someone who has a graduate degree in it (yes, all priests must earn a graduate degree in seminary before ordination) and NOT from an ex-Catholic who never attended/paid attention to her Sunday School classes!!!

It’s blunt, yes, but considering the effort she has put into slamming and ambushing you, it needs to be said.

Good luck,
Nan
Even when being blunt, NEVER be snotty to your mother-in-law. This kind of response would be completely counter-productive.

40.png
Lazerlike42:
I also concur… some Catholics do put Mary over Christ. I don’t know if they actually worship her, but they sure as heck pay too much attention to her.
I do agree. But it also goes both ways. Some of our protestant brothers and sisters put a whole lot of stress on the bible than Jesus.

This is a thread. Great way to evangelize and explain our faith.

I would like to point out also that in order to understand the role of Mary our protestant brothers and sisters should under stand te role of the Queen mother in the old testament.

Remember that the kings before had many wives so none of them could be queen. The queen was the kings mother. Take for example the case of solomon. The brother of solomon, who tried to take the throne, appealed to their mother because he know that solomon wouldn’t be able to refuse her request. Now, same goes with Jesus and Mary. When we pray to Mary she acts as our intercessor to Jesus. Do we really need to do such acts. I don’t think so because we all know that Jesus listens to our prayers. But it sure does help strengthen our prayers. Isn’t it the same when more people ask for your help, you find it hard to refuse. That’s my simple take on the situation when we pray to Mary and the Saints. Remember Mary is our mother in our relation to Jesus and the Saints are our brothers.

40.png
gryskull:
I do agree. But it also goes both ways. Some of our protestant brothers and sisters put a whole lot of stress on the bible than Jesus.

This is a thread. Great way to evangelize and explain our faith.

I would like to point out also that in order to understand the role of Mary our protestant brothers and sisters should under stand te role of the Queen mother in the old testament.

Remember that the kings before had many wives so none of them could be queen. The queen was the kings mother. Take for example the case of solomon. The brother of solomon, who tried to take the throne, appealed to their mother because he know that solomon wouldn’t be able to refuse her request. Now, same goes with Jesus and Mary. When we pray to Mary she acts as our intercessor to Jesus. Do we really need to do such acts. I don’t think so because we all know that Jesus listens to our prayers. But it sure does help strengthen our prayers. Isn’t it the same when more people ask for your help, you find it hard to refuse. That’s my simple take on the situation when we pray to Mary and the Saints. Remember Mary is our mother in our relation to Jesus and the Saints are our brothers.
I like to reference the Wedding of Cana as a good reason to augment our prayerful requests by asking for Mary’s intercession. Remember Mary coming to Jesus telling him they had run out of wine and he was to solve the problem. He said “get away from me woman. My time has not come.” but his Mother just turned and said “do as He says” and Jesus relented out of respect. It not only shows the respect that He held for her and who are we not to copy Jesus but it also shows how sometimes He relents to her requests.

I have never attended a Baptist service, but I have attended a Methodist service (as a guest accompianist). The service consisted of prayers, hymns (every verse!), Scripture reading, and a sermon. That’s it. So if we read Scripture about Mary (see Luke, Ch1), sing hyms about Mary, talk to her, why WOULDN’T they see it as worship? Our idea of worship is very different. We have the Sacrifice of the Mass. What’s happening is that we and they are using the same word, worship, but with different meaning. I can see why they think we worship her according to their idea of worship. Maybe if we explain our idea of worship to others, they may understand that we don’t really worship Mary.

Peace,
Linda

40.png
homer:
UtahMaggie first of all i DON’T ask friends to pray for me, why should I? It doens’t make sense. Do they have more access to God??
Homer,

I’ve heard of people asking their friends or family to pray for them ONLY if they are not active church goers… For some reason non-active church goers feel that when you go to church you are closer to god…

40.png
homer:
Second, when a group of people sit together and pray they are all praying together and not one person praying for another person.
I don’t think this is true, I go to church with my mother but I still pray for her even if she is sitting right beside me…

That is one thing that I couldn’t understand with our protestant brothers and sisters. How could they love Jesus without loving the blessed Mother. Is it right for a wife to love the husband but not his mother or father or brother or sister?

Just imagine if you got to heaven and you were met by our Blessed Mother and she said"Come let me lead you to my Son." Would you say “Neh, I can find Him myself.” ? How do you think will Jesus feel?

That is why we as catholics have a relationship with our Blessed Mother and we love Her because Jesus loved and love her. That’s also the reason why we as catholics pray to her because she is someone whom Christ will never say no to. Try to find a passage in the bible where Jesus doesn’t do what His mother told Him. I don’t think you’ll find any because that would be against the law…HIS very own law. HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER. If Jesus can honor and love her, well, so can we.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back