Priest using B.S word during confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter water
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Jesus did to the woman caught in adultery? HHMMMM…:confused:
Yep, he specifically told her to sin no more.

Christ also called people “Whitewashed tombs” and “brood of vipers” when the situation called for it. Christ was certainly being pastoral then too.

I’m not saying that this particular situation required strong language, but being ‘pastoral’ certainly doesn’t rule it out either.

As Christ showed, sometimes the correct pastoral thing IS to use strong, even insulting, language.
 
Yep, he specifically told her to sin no more.

Christ also called people “Whitewashed tombs” and “brood of vipers” when the situation called for it. Christ was certainly being pastoral then too.

I’m not saying that this particular situation required strong language, but being ‘pastoral’ certainly doesn’t rule it out either.

As Christ showed, sometimes the correct pastoral thing IS to use strong, even insulting, language.
how about in the case mentioned in this thread. If something is not a sin, isn’t it better for the priest to say “it is not a sin, don’t worry about it”…or “Excuse my language. This is B…S…”? to a young lady who comes to him?
 
I agree. Didn’t Jesus even talk about the latrine in one of the Gospels? Mark 7:19? Crude language was used in the time of our Lord and probably used to make a point. I believe the priest was calling a spade a spade and trying to cut through the bull. Give him the benefit of the doubt…
👍

Perhaps the priest felt that that was the only way to get his point across to the specific situation he was faced with. Yep, give the benefit of the doubt. Priest live in this society and may find that such a response has quite a bit of shock value which obviously was his intention. Priest are allowed to get angry with ignorance. Do we bash Jesus for throwing over the tables at the Temple? No, we admire His shock value.

Focus on what the priest was trying to convey rather than the manner of conveyance.
 
👍

Focus on what the priest was trying to convey rather than the manner of conveyance.
If the Church considers using bad words a sin, is “BS” considered a bad word in English? When I translate this into my language which is Vietnamese, it is very disrespectful and I never heard any Vietnamese priests use the word in my life.
 
QUOTE=water;4462046]If the Church considers using bad words a sin, is “BS” considered a bad word in English? When I translate this into my language which is Vietnamese, it is very disrespectful and I never heard any Vietnamese priests use the word in my life.
We are all sinners, the priest is no acception. But judging the priest? Which is the greater sin?

Self righteous sinner, now thats an oxymoron.
 
We are all sinners, the priest is no acception. But judging the priest? Which is the greater sin?

Self righteous sinner, now thats an oxymoron.
It was a question. Can a question be asked in this forum without being labeled as a sin? Aren’t you judging me too? 😉 Isn’t it another oxymoron?

anyhow, from your post, it seems to me that you answered my question that priest shouldn’t use that word. That was all I wanted to know.
 
If the Church considers using bad words a sin, is “BS” considered a bad word in English? When I translate this into my language which is Vietnamese, it is very disrespectful and I never heard any Vietnamese priests use the word in my life.
the irony, would be if your friend was confessing that she uses profanity. lol
 
the irony, would be if your friend was confessing that she uses profanity. lol
No - D I don’t want to bring up what she said .- It was something she thought it was a sin. She let me know what she asked and it was completely a valid and non-profanity kind of question. It was a very well-concerned and charitable thought of her to bring that up.

I told her if she didn’t feel comfortable with what the priest said, bring that up next time and ask him herself if she wanted to know why the priest said that to her - because she feels very uncomfortable with the priest whom she has great reverence to.
 
Whoever has the guts to say that using the B.S. word is o.k. in the confessional, why don’t you spell it out on this forum? We do things like bulls**t or B.S. If its so acceptable then why aren’t we spelling it out??
 
Whoever has the guts to say that using the B.S. word is o.k. in the confessional, why don’t you spell it out on this forum? We do things like bulls**t or B.S. If its so acceptable then why aren’t we spelling it out??
Because the forum software censors it automatically.

See: ********

Paul
 
Whoever has the guts to say that using the B.S. word is o.k. in the confessional, why don’t you spell it out on this forum? We do things like bulls**t or B.S. If its so acceptable then why aren’t we spelling it out??
Exactly. Everyone knows s/he will get banned for it. 😃
 
No - D I don’t want to bring up what she said .- It was something she thought it was a sin. She let me know what she asked and it was completely a valid and non-profanity kind of question. It was a very well-concerned and charitable thought of her to bring that up.

I told her if she didn’t feel comfortable with what the priest said, bring that up next time and ask him herself if she wanted to know why the priest said that to her - because she feels very uncomfortable with the priest whom she has great reverence to.
I am in agreement with you. While we all make mistakes, I don’t think the priest should have said this, and suppose it wasn’t a mistake…suppose he says this to many people during their confessions? While I think confession is meant to be a time for heartfelt contriteness and solemn sorrow…it should not be something one is uncomfortable to do. We should never feel uncomfortable to come to Christ. That’s what troubles me about her experience.
 
Exactly. Everyone knows s/he will get banned for it. 😃
What exactly do you want people to do? You’re on here discussing someone’s confession, putting up a question, and then arguing when you don’t get the answer you like.

Should he have said what you claim your friend told you he said during the sacrament of confession? Probably not, but priest are human. If you feel this strongly about it, go confront the priest or take it to the bishop or write the pope.

Paul
 
What exactly do you want people to do? You’re on here discussing someone’s confession, putting up a question, and then arguing when you don’t get the answer you like.

Should he have said what you claim your friend told you he said during the sacrament of confession? Probably not, but priest are human. If you feel this strongly about it, go confront the priest or take it to the bishop or write the pope.

Paul
Your problem of not believing what the priest said to her is not of my concern. You read your post yourself again and see how well you answered. - Your attitude of approaching to this question is immature.
 
it should not be something one is uncomfortable to do. We should never feel uncomfortable to come to Christ. That’s what troubles me about her experience.
Right. She told me that he has been a very great help to her in the last few months, now, she doesn’t know what to do. That is why I told her to talk to him and based on what he will answer, she makes the decision to continue with him as her confessor or move on to someone else who can be gentle to her.
 
Your problem of not believing what the priest said to her is not of my concern. You read your post yourself again and see how well you answered. - Your attitude of approaching to this question is immature.
Because I disagree with you, I’m immature?

You dodge the basic question–since you’re so offended by what your friend claims transpired during the sacrament of confession, what are you going to do about it? Are you just going to complain on an online forum, attack those who disagree with you, or are you going to talk to the priest and/or his superiors?

Talk is cheap. Action takes courage. Where do you stand?

Paul
 
Because I disagree with you, I’m immature?
Immaturity in the way how you recommend me to talk to the Pope. You know better than that, don’t you?

So, back to the basic question - should a priest use “BS” in a confession? Can you really answer that question?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top