“Yah. I don’t like the sign or peace. It’s something I prefer in the Extraordinary Form that there is none. I feel like it takes the focus off of God and puts it into a social context. Not criticizing the OF just saying I could live without it. I usually don’t do anything but look to the side and bow my head at people. It distracts me from the sacrifice of the Mass.</quote”
The sign of peace is the place in the mass where traditionally people actually left the building and went to make peace with those in the community that they had issues with. It was for reconciling our sins with our brethren in order to help purify ourselves for the Eucharist. When the people returned, the mass continued. Today we simply make peace with those around us, but if you think of it in historical terms, it has great meaning and is a necessary, integral part of the mass…
The Deacon, or the Priest, proclaims:
Let us offer each other the sign of peace.
John 20:19, 21
19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 [Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
Romans 16:16
16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you.
And all offer one another the customary sign of peace: a handclasp or handshake, or other regional, socially acceptable form of greeting which is an expression of peace, communion, and charity.