Well, i imagine anyone who is familiar with the truth and has a way of communicating it to causes people to become interested in learning for themselves and become as familiar as she is. But you ask an extremely good question, and the broader question which naturally follows from it is this: What are the attributes of an Apostle? Socrates said:
No matter what the subject, there is for those who wish to deliberate well upon it always one and the same starting point: You must know what it is you are deliberating about, or you will inevitably fail altogether. Most people, however, are not aware of their ignorance of a thing’s essential nature, and because they think they know all about it, they fail to secure agreement about the premises of their inquiry at its beginning. As they proceed, they reap the predictable harvest of this oversight: They disagree with one another and even contradict themselves. Now, you and I must not be guilty of this fundamental error that we condemn in others …
(Phaedrus, 237)
It seems to me that if we don’t first establish what the attributes of an Apostle are, we will fail altogether at trying to determine whether one person or another is one. The Catholic priests, bishops and popes, if they are genuine successors of the original Apostles, must be like them.
So let’s focus our discussion on this question: What makes one a true Apostle? That is, what are the qualities, or attributes that all real Apostles possess?
Two more questions to be answered;
Do I appoint myself to be a successor, an Apostle?
Am I appointed by another?
And another question;
If I appoint myself then by whose authority do I act, mine or anothers?
And another question;
The Apostles died and their successors assumed authority to themselves, or were they given authority?
And another question, (well… *almost *the same really);
*Did *the Apostles have authority given to them,
Now when it was late that same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, …
…He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you…?
These things command and teach. 12 Let no man despise thy youth: but be thou an example of the faithful in word, in conversation, in charity, in faith, in chastity. 13 Till I come, attend unto reading, to exhortation, and to doctrine. 14 Neglect not the grace that is in thee, which was given thee by prophesy, with imposition of the hands of the priesthood. 15 Meditate upon these things, be wholly in these things: that thy profiting may be manifest to all.
16 Take heed to thyself and to doctrine: be earnest in them. For in doing this thou shalt both save thyself and them that hear thee.
Do the Apostles ensure the continuation of the same doctrine?
Now the Spirit manifestly saith, that in the last times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to spirits of error, and doctrines of devils, 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy, and having their conscience seared…
And do they warn against deviation from *their *doctrines?
So ought *I *deviate and become teacher, with my own authority, interprete create destroy doctrines, or continue to accept the Apostolic doctrines?
I don’t particularly need to decide what an Apostle is, they have already been here and gone, and they have left us their doctrines to follow.