S
Socrates4Jesus
Guest
Thank you, P7; now you’re speaking my language (the language of dialog)!What I propose is simply a response to a frequent objection by many protestant brothers.
I’d ask them: " How can you tell us you reject the papacy just because it is not commanded by Jesus as recorded in the NT, when the NT itself that you and I accept is not commanded as recorded in the NT itself?"
That is a good question, and one that should be explored. So let’s go exploring! You and i both believe that the Apostles were commanded to be witnesses for Christ. For as said before, Jesus gave them this command:
“This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.”
(Luke 24-46-48)
Now a questions to ask is exactly of what were the Apostles witnesses? For one, they were to give eyewitness testimony that Christ suffered, died and rose from the dead on the third day. But notice what Christ did before He gave them this command:
Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.
(verse 45)
Why do this? Because the Sacred Scriptures of the Old Testament predicted that the Messiah would suffer, die, and rise from the dead. Paul says the same when he describes the gospel of Jesus:
Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures …
(1 Corinthians 15:1-4)
“According to the Scriptures,” is what the Apostle keeps writing. And he writes to the young priest Timothy:
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
(2 Timothy 3:14-17)
So the holy Scriptures are able to make us wise for salvation in Christ. Peter says as much:
Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow.
(1 Peter 1:10-11)
So the question i’d like to ask next, P7 is this:
Were the Old Testament prophets witnesses for Christ?