I’m not second guessing St. Peter on either account.
Neither am i. No guessing, here, just trying to understand. As Socrates said:A wise man is not likely to talk nonsense. Let us try to understand him.
(Theaetetus, 152)
Let’s take the side of Peter’s defense and prove him in the right. In trying to understand Peter’s actions, and prove that his decision was according to Jesus’ desire, how do you propose we prove Peter’s thought process was perfect?
At the time this decision was made, in the 10 days between Jesus’s ascension and Pentacost, it made absolute sense to require an Apostle to have experienced all that Jesus said and did personally. Afterall, they were being called on to be personal witnesses to those events and to share their own revelations. And who are we, 2000 years later to second guess these events that were undoubtedly driven by the Holy Spirit.
Yes, that’s a good line of defense, but we must anticipate the Protestant Prosecution. To defend Peter, we want to be ready to rebut whatever sleazy assault they sling! For example, during Peter’s trial, they might call Paul to the stand. They might ask him to give testimony:
PROTESTANT PROSECUTOR: Paul–was this always your name?
PAUL: No.
PROS: When did you change your name?
PAUL: It was not me who changed my name, it was Jesus.
PROS: Are you an Apostle?
PAUL: Yes.
PROS: By whose authority?
PAUL: I suppose by the authority of Jesus, who chose me for the office. Though I cannot imagine why! Later, Christ’s choice was confirmed by Peter and the other Apostles.
PROS: You were not always a follower of Jesus Christ, were you?
PAUL: No. In fact, I was an enemy of the one whom I now serve, and an enemy of those who served Him. I did terrible things to them. Had them murdered. I – I deserve death and hell, and consider myself the worst of sinners.
PROS: But you had a conversion.
PAUL: Yes. Jesus appeared to me.
PROS: And that’s when your name was changed?
PAUL: Yes, and also when Jesus said he chose me to be His spokesman.
PROS: Will you give testimony of the events of that day for the honorable gentlemen of the jury?
SOCRATES4JESUS (Lawyer for the defense): Objection! You’re honor, the defense fails to see the relevance of this inquiry. And it’s understood by all the distinguished members of the jury that this man is an Apostle. I’m sure you will agree there is no good reason to waste their precious time, and the valuable time of the court, by giving a drawn out account of his conversion.
PROS: Your honor, the people are questioning the witness for the very fact that his testimony HAS relevance. The people intend to show that the defendant’s premise was in error, and that his choice of Matthias was a grave injustice to the defendant, and contrary to the very will of God!
JUDGE: I’ll allow it. But be brief, prosecutor.