S
Socrates4Jesus
Guest
PROS: Please continue to give your testimony of how you first learned you were to become an Apostle.
PAUL: It is well know that I, along with the Jewish authorities, was convinced that I ought to do all that was possible to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth. And that is just what I did in Jerusalem. On the authority of the chief priests I put many of the saints in prison, and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. Many a time I went from one synagogue to another to have them punished, and I tried to force them to blaspheme. In my obsession against them, I even went to foreign cities to persecute them.
On one of these journeys I was going to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests. About noon, as I was on the road, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around me and my companions. We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.” (He called me by my previous name, Saul, which He later changed to Paul.)
Then I asked, “Who are you, Lord?”
“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” the Lord replied. “Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.”
PROS: Thank you, Apostle, for telling your sincere and inspiring story. I don’t suppose anyone would question your right to be an Apostle, not even Peter.
SOC: Objection!
JUDGE: Sustained. Prosecutor, please keep your opinions to yourself.
PROS: Withdrawn, your honor. Would you say, Apostle, that God chose you as His witness to the Gentiles?
PAUL: Yes, that is what Jesus said. Though, as I admitted, it’s a privilege I most certainly do not deserve!
PROS: The sincerity of your humility is without question, Paul. I’m sure many would disagree, and say Jesus knew what He was doing by choosing you.
PAUL: He knows best. I’m always amazed that He chooses the weak and the foolish of the world to shame those who are mighty and wise in their own eyes.
PROS: Indeed! Tell me, Apostle, are you aware that the defendant chose Matthias as the Apostle to replace Judas?
PAUL: Yes, I’ve heard the account from Peter himself, but I was not an eyewitness to it.
PROS: No matter. I’m sure Peter’s own account was accurate. Are you aware of what method he said he employed to chose the Apostolic Successor?
PAUL: He said he had the Apostles draw straws to determine whether Matthias or the other candidate was God’s choice.
PROS: Only Matthias and one other? Why not any others?
PAUL: They were the most likely candidates. I believe Peter quoted the Psalms and said, “It is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”
PROS: So Peter suggested that an Apostle must be one who was a follower of Jesus prior to our Lord’s crucifixion. Isn’t that what he said?
PAUL: Yes, that’s what he said.
PROS: Tell me, then, Paul. Did Jesus not choose you.
PAUL: Yes.
PROS: But you were not a follower of Jesus before or immediately after His crucifixion?
PAUL: No, I’m ashamed to say I was an enemy of Christ, and a murder of those who followed Him; I was the worst of sinners.
PROS: And despite this God chose you.
PAUL: Yes.
PROS: So when Peter gave God the choice of choosing between Matthias and the other candidate, he did not give God the option of choosing you, did he?
PAUL: No, of course not. I was at that time his enemy, though I now consider him a dear friend.
PROS: Yes, you are no hostile witness. But the truth be told, Peter’s criteria was against the will of God.
SOC: Objection! Your honor, the witness for the prosecution cannot pretend to speak for God!
PROS: Your honor, he and Apostle chosen by God for the very purpose of being His spokesman!
JUDGE: Objection, overruled.
PROS: Apostle Paul, you said that Peter told the other Apostles, and later he told you, that an Apostle must be one who followed Jesus before His crucifixion and resurrection, isn’t that so?
PAUL: Yes.
PROS: But afterward, he laid hands on you and confirmed that Jesus himself had chosen you to be His witness to the Gentiles, correct?
PAUL: That’s correct.
PROS: And since you neither knew nor followed Jesus before His passion on the cross, Peter’s method of choosing an Apostle did not apply to you. Is this fair to say?
PAUL: That’s fair, as you say.
PROS: But if Peter had advised the drawing of three straws, one for Matthias, the second for the other candidate, and the third for a candidate still unknown to the Apostles, perhaps they would have drawn the third straw. If so, they might have waited for God to reveal YOU as His choice.
SOC: Objection, argumentative!
JUDGE: Sustained. Prosecutor, let’s stick to the facts and not speculation of what might have been.
PROS:Very well, your honor. Apostle Paul, would you say that Peter’s method of choosing a successor to Judas left God no option to choose you?
PAUL: Yes, I’d agree with that.
PROS: No further questions, your honor.
PAUL: It is well know that I, along with the Jewish authorities, was convinced that I ought to do all that was possible to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth. And that is just what I did in Jerusalem. On the authority of the chief priests I put many of the saints in prison, and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. Many a time I went from one synagogue to another to have them punished, and I tried to force them to blaspheme. In my obsession against them, I even went to foreign cities to persecute them.
On one of these journeys I was going to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests. About noon, as I was on the road, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around me and my companions. We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.” (He called me by my previous name, Saul, which He later changed to Paul.)
Then I asked, “Who are you, Lord?”
“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” the Lord replied. “Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.”
PROS: Thank you, Apostle, for telling your sincere and inspiring story. I don’t suppose anyone would question your right to be an Apostle, not even Peter.
SOC: Objection!
JUDGE: Sustained. Prosecutor, please keep your opinions to yourself.
PROS: Withdrawn, your honor. Would you say, Apostle, that God chose you as His witness to the Gentiles?
PAUL: Yes, that is what Jesus said. Though, as I admitted, it’s a privilege I most certainly do not deserve!
PROS: The sincerity of your humility is without question, Paul. I’m sure many would disagree, and say Jesus knew what He was doing by choosing you.
PAUL: He knows best. I’m always amazed that He chooses the weak and the foolish of the world to shame those who are mighty and wise in their own eyes.
PROS: Indeed! Tell me, Apostle, are you aware that the defendant chose Matthias as the Apostle to replace Judas?
PAUL: Yes, I’ve heard the account from Peter himself, but I was not an eyewitness to it.
PROS: No matter. I’m sure Peter’s own account was accurate. Are you aware of what method he said he employed to chose the Apostolic Successor?
PAUL: He said he had the Apostles draw straws to determine whether Matthias or the other candidate was God’s choice.
PROS: Only Matthias and one other? Why not any others?
PAUL: They were the most likely candidates. I believe Peter quoted the Psalms and said, “It is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”
PROS: So Peter suggested that an Apostle must be one who was a follower of Jesus prior to our Lord’s crucifixion. Isn’t that what he said?
PAUL: Yes, that’s what he said.
PROS: Tell me, then, Paul. Did Jesus not choose you.
PAUL: Yes.
PROS: But you were not a follower of Jesus before or immediately after His crucifixion?
PAUL: No, I’m ashamed to say I was an enemy of Christ, and a murder of those who followed Him; I was the worst of sinners.
PROS: And despite this God chose you.
PAUL: Yes.
PROS: So when Peter gave God the choice of choosing between Matthias and the other candidate, he did not give God the option of choosing you, did he?
PAUL: No, of course not. I was at that time his enemy, though I now consider him a dear friend.
PROS: Yes, you are no hostile witness. But the truth be told, Peter’s criteria was against the will of God.
SOC: Objection! Your honor, the witness for the prosecution cannot pretend to speak for God!
PROS: Your honor, he and Apostle chosen by God for the very purpose of being His spokesman!
JUDGE: Objection, overruled.
PROS: Apostle Paul, you said that Peter told the other Apostles, and later he told you, that an Apostle must be one who followed Jesus before His crucifixion and resurrection, isn’t that so?
PAUL: Yes.
PROS: But afterward, he laid hands on you and confirmed that Jesus himself had chosen you to be His witness to the Gentiles, correct?
PAUL: That’s correct.
PROS: And since you neither knew nor followed Jesus before His passion on the cross, Peter’s method of choosing an Apostle did not apply to you. Is this fair to say?
PAUL: That’s fair, as you say.
PROS: But if Peter had advised the drawing of three straws, one for Matthias, the second for the other candidate, and the third for a candidate still unknown to the Apostles, perhaps they would have drawn the third straw. If so, they might have waited for God to reveal YOU as His choice.
SOC: Objection, argumentative!
JUDGE: Sustained. Prosecutor, let’s stick to the facts and not speculation of what might have been.
PROS:Very well, your honor. Apostle Paul, would you say that Peter’s method of choosing a successor to Judas left God no option to choose you?
PAUL: Yes, I’d agree with that.
PROS: No further questions, your honor.