R
Randy_Carson
Guest
Help a noob…what is BUMP?
A “bump” gets the thread back to the top of the active thread list where it will likely get more attention.Help a noob…what is BUMP?
The councils you are speaking of were Rome, Hippo and Carthage - all at the end of the 4th century, I believe. In all three, the very same canon of Scripture was put forth. Although a few individuals may have had personal doubts about that canon, none of them placed their personal doubts above the authority of the Church to be the final word on the matter - this includes St Jerome and Cardinal Cajetan. That is a fundamental difference.This is a little off topic but I thought it wasn’t until Trent that the Catholic church dogmatically (sp?) settled the issue of the canon?
The other councils before that I thought were regarded as provisional or provincial, not sure of the correct term.
The reason I bring this up is that I have heard, don’t have proof, that cardinal Cajetan who questioned Luther rejected what you guys refer to as the deuterocanonicals.
This is a proof. Item 2 follows directly from the stated definition of sola scriptura. So while I think that the entirety of item 2 is a true statement as it stands, I (obviously) don’t think that sola scriptura is true.BUMP
Was the Church inerrant or infallible in the act of defining the canon of scripture? If so, how can you claim sola scriptura? If not, how can you claim sola scriptura? If the Church was protected in defining the scriptures then it is logical to say that Christ has protected her in other matters. If the Church was not inerrant or infallible in this act then there is no way of knowing what scripture is. The rule of faith is the continuing tradition(scripture is part of that tradition) of the Church.While there isn’t a codified definition of sola scriptura you should probably start with one that mentions that scripture is the sole inerrant rule of faith.
Saying that scripture is simply the sole rule and norm is sort of setting up a straw man.
Because everyone has a different interpretation. That’s why we have so many different religions.If a decent argument could be made from scripture alone, why isn’t it done?
While there isn’t a codified definition of sola scriptura you should probably start with one that mentions that scripture is the sole inerrant rule of faith.
Saying that scripture is simply the sole rule and norm is sort of setting up a straw man.
I don’t believe anyones interpretation is infallible.Hi Reformed1:
You write: While there isn’t a codified definition of sola scriptura you should probably start with one that mentions that scripture is the sole inerrant rule of faith.
I have a couple of questions for you. In your opinion whose interpretation of scripture is inerrant and why?
Donna
I don’t have a good answer for you on the canon right now. I haven’t really thought about it too much until I started posting here.Was the Church inerrant or infallible in the act of defining the canon of scripture? If so, how can you claim sola scriptura? If not, how can you claim sola scriptura? If the Church was protected in defining the scriptures then it is logical to say that Christ has protected her in other matters. If the Church was not inerrant or infallible in this act then there is no way of knowing what scripture is. The rule of faith is the continuing tradition(scripture is part of that tradition) of the Church.
First you would have scripture dependent upon personal interpretation. But then no is infallible according to you.I don’t believe anyones interpretation is infallible.
I think you reading comprehension skills need improving.First you would have scripture dependent upon personal interpretation. But then no is infallible according to you.
Then according to your definition Scripture may be true or untrue. so according to your definition it is an oxymoron. Neither true or untrue. Interesting way to live.
“if it ain’t in the Bible I do not believe it”.While there isn’t a codified definition of sola scriptura you should probably start with one that mentions that scripture is the sole inerrant rule of faith.
Saying that scripture is simply the sole rule and norm is sort of setting up a straw man.
I deleted the post you mention just a few seconds after I submitted it because I recognized it as uncharitable. I don’t believe you have ever had such an ephiphany.No Reformer I don’t think I need to improve my reading.
And I wish you wouldn’t post insults then get rid of them quick. Better not to insult in the first place. My reading comprehension skills are just fine, thanks.
I do think you need to learn to make a decision though.
First you say:
While there isn’t a codified definition of sola scriptura you should probably start with one that mentions that scripture is the sole inerrant rule of faith.
You then say:
I don’t believe anyones interpretation is infallible.
So basically it is an oxymoron. It is neither true nor untrue, it is just a useless entity. Simply because it is not even useable. Period. It is inerrant, but no one can really interpret it correctly infallibly, therefore it is rather a meaningless thing.
Of course you can carry on about material sufficiency, but that is not the question here.
Your statements render that which you claim to be inerrant simply a non thing, a non decision, a non statement as it is a useless item by the time you are done with it.
As I said, an interesting way to live.
Actually it is a straw man.“if it ain’t in the Bible I do not believe it”.
Is that a straw man or is that a clear definition of what Sola Scriptura is?
The list of books that are Scripture is indeed a truth revealed by God and it ain’t in Scripture.
Sola Scriptura falls on it’s own rule.
Ken
I deleted the post you mention just a few seconds after I submitted it because I recognized it as uncharitable. I don’t believe you have ever had such an ephiphany.
QUOTE]
Well apparently your Epiphany failed.Would you like to delete your last one? I’ll pretend I didn’t see it. After all I’m not charitable in the least. I simply have poor reading comprehension.
![]()
![]()
Or maybe I really do have what did you spell it as-Effafannies?