I would like to comment on the 2Tim3:16 issue. For clarity, the verse says that “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,…”
Paul may have been referring to only the OT, but maybe not?
Peter writes “2 Peter 3:16 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.”
Note that Peter says that people twist the content of Paul’s letters to their own destruction much as they do with the OTHER scriptures. By the phrase “other scriptures” it seems to me that Peter is recognizing Paul’s writings as scripture.
Also, Paul himself writes "1 Timothy 5:18 18 For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer deserves his wages.” This of course references the gospel of Luke.
Note that 1 Timothy (as far as I know) was written before 2 Timothy and it is in 2 Timothy where Paul says that ALL scripture is breathed out by God.
So it seems that the “all scripture” in 2 Timothy may have referred to at least some of the NT based on:
a.) Paul’s recognition of Luke being scripture in 1 Timothy.
b.) Peter’s statement in 2 Peter recognizing Paul’s letters as being scripture.
What do you think?
Pardon me for jumping into the middle of your discussion. I’d like to share some scriptures and thoughts on the subject of Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture.
First, I think we can both agree that Jesus condemned
corrupt human tradition (notice the lower-case “t”) that set aside the Word of God. Next, let’s look at what Paul, Peter and John said about Tradition (which is used with a capital “T” - Paul didn’t capitalize it - we do to distinguish from “tradition”).
Here are some passages:
1 Corinthians 11:2
I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings just as I passed them on to you.
1 Corinthians 11:23
For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you:
Does this indicate that Paul’s preaching was “God-breathed” (theopneustos)? (I’m floating a pet theory here…)
1 Corinthians 15:1-5
Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
2 Thessalonians 2:15
So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.
2 Thessalonians 3:6
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us.
2 Timothy 1:13
What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 2:2
And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.
2 Peter 2:21
It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.
2 John 12
I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete.
3 John 13-14
I have much to write you, but I do not want to do so with pen and ink. I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face.
+++
It is evident that these writers are exhorting the believers to hold firmly to teachings orally delivered that had been handed on previously. Since the Word of God is inerrant, these exhortations must be “God-breathed”. Therefore, one has to wonder how the Holy Spirit could inspire these men to exhort their readers to hold to teachings that were NOT inerrant and
theopneustos.
Finally, and briefly since this post is getting long, Peter does acknowledge that Paul’s letters are scripture, but he also points out that they can be difficult to understand. This is actually a case against the “perspicuity” of scripture and
sola scriptura, in general. You might also consider the example of the Ethiopian eunuch.
Thus, Catholics hold that Scripture is materially sufficient, but not formally sufficient, and that the Church is necessary to rightly interpret the Word of God.