Protestant opinion on where Roman Catholic Church went into apostasy?

• Thread starter Thread starter brianjmc1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
TNMan:
I think the Gospel is shared and sacraments are rightly administered, and where those things happen, there the Church is.
Which sacraments, all 7, 2, none? This is the quagmire…
No, it isn’t. While a Lutheran may not refer to marriage, unction, confirmation or ordination as a sacrament, these are still important practices within the tradition.
Lutheranism has a narrower definition, but not a narrower practice.

Last edited:
No, it isn’t. While a Lutheran may not refer to marriage, unction, confirmation or ordination as a sacrament, these are still important practices within the tradition.
Lutheranism has a narrower definition, but not a narrower practice.
Sorry, my point is, “Gospel is shared and sacraments…” The Gospel is shared with all Christians, but everyone has a different belief on which sacraments are needed, which are just symbols, and which are not needed at all…

Side note- most if not all these discussions don’t take the big picture to heart. Its very easy to sit and discuss, baptism, apostelistic succession, papacy, etc…
The real question(at least in my opinion), is;

Did Jesus, knowing he was leaving to the father, leave an authoritative, visible authority church behind to run the show.
Catholic - yes, St. Peter
Orthodox - yes, all the apostles
Protestant - yes, all christians

Again, I could be wrong, but once you answer this, then a lot of the other discussions go away…

Sorry, my point is, “Gospel is shared and sacraments…” The Gospel is shared with all Christians, but everyone has a different belief on which sacraments are needed, which are just symbols, and which are not needed at all…
True
Did Jesus, knowing he was leaving to the father, leave an authoritative, visible authority church behind to run the show.
The Protestant formulation is simplistic, but I get your point.

sorry, no disrespect intended!
None observed.
I have a common refrain here: Regarding doctrine and practice, use of the term protestant is folly.
There is an understandable tendency here to group protestants together as if they are, well, one group. they’re not. As a Lutheran, for example, I have far more in common with a Catholic than I do a Baptist.

Last edited:
Because it implies personal interpretation, or a lack of hierarchy. That doesn’t apply to all traditions loosely categorized as Protestant.
Going to have to say a general yes to this response. Not all protestants lack a visible form of hierarchy. Anglicans have an episcopal polity, but generally the episcopal authority is less defined throughout the diocese. The cathedral is generally more traditional, while most of the parishes are more modern. In catholicism, I would say the differences between the TLM and novus ordo are definitely less significant compared to a high and low church anglican, there is more uniformity in authority.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t you say there is a hierarchy in EVERY christian denomination? Even single non-denominational churches have a pastor and usually a council or elders…

Wouldn’t you say there is a hierarchy in EVERY christian denomination? Even single non-denominational churches have a pastor and usually a council or elders…
I think so, though my knowledge of how non-denoms work is limited.
In the Lutheran tradition, the pastor is the ordained leader at the parish level, but he is held to the Lutheran confessions and the synod hierarchy. In the Missouri Synod, the polity is very congregational, but this fact still remains.

Last edited:
Apostolic succession is very important for Catholics.

Among Prot - I mean

" Christians who have some roots in the Reformation, secondary to their main roots in the Gospel" -

Those people - I think they tend towards more or less “permanent office in a tradition by ordination or consecration”,
Or

the opposite extreme," election for a temporary function, when you leave you are essentially a layman again".

Anglicans at one pole, non denoms opposite pole.

Last edited:
Jesus knows because He is God…

And in Matthew 13 He does tell us that it depends on the ground the seed of faith grows on. Again, He knows who is going to end up where. His Church’s mission is to inform, not convince, hence His instructions to shake whomevers dust if they shake off/reject His teachings.

That said, we are still obligated to pray for EVERYONE, because we are not God and therefore have no idea who might change. And the laborer who shows up at the end of the day will get the same wage as the laborer who was there at the beginning of the day.

Last edited:
Weren’t these addressing local church issues and not universal Church issues?
They were written to local churches, but much of what was written applied to the universal church, even to this day, such as when Paul wrote to the Galatians that if anyone teaches a false gospel, let him by anathema. That applies in the modern church today.
there was NO canonized scripture for the first 400 years(20% of Christianity history). Where is the “sole” authority, in the canon scripture(bible)? How did the Church run(400 year from the beginning) without that authority?
For the first century Christian church the “Scriptures” would have referred to the OLD Testament Scriptures, since most of the NT hadn’t been written yet. But, many of the NT writings were considered just as much “God-breathed” as the OT, such as Jude affirming Peter’s epistles, Peter affirming Paul’s, & Paul’s affirming Luke’s.
Were not the Apostles, and then there successors(bishops) teaching authority of doctrine and faith?
Actually, the NT elder-bishop was a single office. This single office didn’t get “split” until the early second century in the time of Ignatius of Antioch just before his martyrdom. What the apostles taught was that Jesus was the fulfillment of the OT Messianic prophecies, which then was passed on to the church, including elders & later bishops.

That applies in the modern church today.
What is the modern church?
For the first century Christian church the “Scriptures” would have referred to the OLD Testament Scriptures, since most of the NT hadn’t been written yet.
So 1st century would mean 100A.D-200? All of the NT scripture was written by then. Or do you mean from the time Christ died 33A.D. till 100A.D.? So did the first Christians rely on the OT for learning about salvation? If this is the case, why would a Jew in the first century need to be baptized, repent for their sins, and join the “Christians” if the OT was still referred too.
Actually, the NT elder-bishop was a single office. This single office didn’t get “split” until the early second century in the time of Ignatius of Antioch just before his martyrdom.
I’m not familiar with this, can you explain how it went from a single office and then “split”.

Thanks!!!
brian

there was NO canonized scripture for the first 400 years(20% of Christianity history). Where is the “sole” authority, in the canon scripture(bible)? How did the Church run(400 year from the beginning) without that authority?
For the first century Christian church the “Scriptures” would have referred to the OLD Testament Scriptures, since most of the NT hadn’t been written yet. But, many of the NT writings were considered just as much “God-breathed” as the OT, such as Jude affirming Peter’s epistles, Peter affirming Paul’s, & Paul’s affirming Luke’s.
RC you continue to ignore the many other writings in the early Christian church that also were considered “God-breathed” such as 1 Clement, Shepherd of Hermas, Epistle of Barnabas. You can ignore it all you want but in your paradigm, these, and many more, have just as much “authority” as 1 Corinthians and the Gospel of Matthew.

Peace!!!

What is the modern church?
My “modern church,” I meant the current church in the 21st century, as opposed to the church in the first century when Revelation was written.
So 1st century would mean 100A.D-200?
No, the first century was from A.D. 1 to 100.
did the first Christians rely on the OT for learning about salvation?
They relied on the OT which prophesied about the Messiah, which was fulfilled by Jesus. Baptism was command by our Lord to identify with His death & resurrection. Although Jesus died for our sins, only those who would believe in Him & repent will go to Heaven, because Jesus did not die for everyone. He isn’t a universalist.
can you explain how it went from a single office and then “split”.
Acts 20:28 & 1 Peter 5:1-2 use all three terms (pastor/shepherd, elder, and overseer/bishop) to describe the same single office of pastor-elder-bishop. Paul’s epistles to Timothy & Titus refer to the elder & the overseer/bishop as the same office. During the time of Ignatius, there arose a need of a respected leader in the church to “oversee” a group of local churches. This is when the single elder-bishop office “split” into the pastor-elder who was the leader of a local church, and the bishop who was an “overseer” of several churches in a city. There is an excellent book written by Bryan Litfin that goes into detail about this event, titled, “Getting to Know the Church Fathers: an Evangelical Introduction.”
many other writings in the early Christian church that also were considered “God-breathed” such as 1 Clement, Shepherd of Hermas, Epistle of Barnabas.
But not until the second century, because they were not written until then (except for 1 Clement around AD 95). In the first century, only the NT books were considered God-breathed, not these later writings, which were yet to be written. Unlike the NT books, these later writings contained errors & contradictions in them, which is why they eventually fell out of favor by the 4th century, because God-breathed Scripture cannot contain error in them, which is why they aren’t in the NT.

Last edited:
40.png
adf417:
many other writings in the early Christian church that also were considered “God-breathed” such as 1 Clement, Shepherd of Hermas, Epistle of Barnabas.
But not until the second century, because they were not written until then (except for 1 Clement around AD 95). In the first century, only the NT books were considered God-breathed, not these later writings, which were yet to be written. Unlike the NT books, these later writings contained errors & contradictions in them, which is why they eventually fell out of favor by the 4th century, because God-breathed Scripture cannot contain error in them, which is why they aren’t in the NT.
No, there were more than 1 Clement RC but even if that was the only one your “except” clause confirms my point.

Peace!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back