Protestants no longer the majority in U.S

  • Thread starter Thread starter markomalley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news, because it means there’s more skepticism and free thought. Though they may not find their way, I would much prefer to live amongst people that are willing to engage in critical thinking rather than a bunch of blindly religious zealots [see: Middle East].
 
Spiritual but not religious is popular. It leads back to moral relativism
Yes, I’ve noticed that among my generation.

I think the popularity of the concept is due to it allowing people to feel “deep” without the structure of authority.

With regards to the allure of Bhuddism in western society: while I do respect the religion of Bhuddism and feel it has many wonderful teaching points, I think there is a big difference between an Asian Bhuddist and a western Bhuddist convert. Original Bhuddist societies in general have always placed a strong emphasis on tradition, authority, discipline, and respect for the wisdom of elders, something which our current culture often despises. So it makes me think what the youth is seeking in eastern religions (while living in western culture) is form over substance.

Speaking only from my observations alone, I’ve found that the young westeners who cast aside Christianity in place of “spirituality” are usually self-indulgent people without staunch convictions in anything (going back to your mention of moral relativism). I think they don’t want to discard spirituality completely because it may make them seem… well…a bit shallow; but on the other hand they don’t want to follow too many rules or subject themselves to a code of conduct that limits them in certain ways. The alternative for them to appear as though they are of great moral depth, while at the same time eschewing certain moral precepts that don’t appeal, is to choose “spiritual, but not religious”. (The next line of their defense usually has something to do with Galileo or the Crusades ;))

A code of conduct and opinion I’ve witnessed from these types is basically, “everything is equally good, no morale is better than another, and do whatever you want as long as you don’t kill or steal from someone”. But maybe that’s only been my experience.🤷
 
Yes of course. When people are afforded freedom to make choices, they will make choices. They may not make the choices you and I would make, but they will make choices they would make. Religious affiliation is on the decline because people do not want to be limited by the confines of a particular religion. They want to live their lives the way they want to live it not the way someone else would dictate to them how they should live it. What it boils down to is that they don’t believe in any religion, and don’t trust the religion they were born into to be right/correct, so they try to live as they believe they should as their heart and conscience tells them. Since people are not forced to abide by the rules of a religion in our society, they have the freedom to live the way they choose for themselves to live.
Which does not minimize our obligation as Catholics to evangelize the lost or instruct the ignorant or to defend the Church against unprecedented attacks. Live and let live, in some instances can clearly be a source for the sin of omission. Free will has been given by our Creator, but that doesn’t mean we turn a blind eye to those floundering souls who may be lost, nor disregard the power of prayer to enlighten minds.
 
Yes, I’ve noticed that among my generation.

I think the popularity of the concept is due to it allowing people to feel “deep” without the structure of authority.

A code of conduct and opinion I’ve witnessed from these types is basically, “everything is equally good, no morale is better than another, and do whatever you want as long as you don’t kill or steal from someone”. But maybe that’s only been my experience.🤷
Yeah, I get that ALL the time. Another one that is popular is that they feel like they “just have to believe” and not go to church or be baptized or anything. Or they do go to church and that’s it. No confessions. Not even grace at the dinner table.
 
I know quite a few people who identify as Christian but who do not practice their religion much, if at all. A few of them will go to church on rare occasions but just not often. I don’t judge them because I don’t know their heart. However, it does seem that people who prefer no religion are on the increase. I know of two people who are like this. I probably know more but I don’t ask about religion very much unless I am really close to them. I hope and pray that God would ignite a fire in everyone’s bellies to be close and devout Christians.
 
I know quite a few people who identify as Christian but who do not practice their religion much, if at all. A few of them will go to church on rare occasions but just not often. I don’t judge them because I don’t know their heart. However, it does seem that people who prefer no religion are on the increase. I know of two people who are like this. I probably know more but I don’t ask about religion very much unless I am really close to them. I hope and pray that God would ignite a fire in everyone’s bellies to be close and devout Christians.
Yeah, I know many people like this. I hear that mainly it is their parent’s fault. Their parents didn’t raise them up going to church every sunday, maybe only on Pascha and Christmas. They were baptized and “forced to confirm”, which, in my humble opinion, is very bad because the child is being told it was their choice but later reflect on it and decide that is was forceful. So they get a distaste for the church and leave.
 
I believe if Romney is elected, our country will resume more Conservative leanings on issues just the way it has become more liberalized under the current administration. Prayers for Romney/Ryan for America!

I believe electing Reagan did a lot of positive things for American Conservatism. Hopefully, we will see another such renaissance.
 
We have to ask our selves, “What attracts one to religious affiliation?”

Hierarchy?
Rules?
Beliefs?
Tradition?

I think it is more that sense of community, koinonia and the edifying examples of those around us. If that is lacking, who can blame others for leaving.
 
Not only Americans but the Entire world in general. It surprises me that things like this can happen, but it does. I can’t change it, so I do not bother to think about it.
 
We have to ask our selves, “What attracts one to religious affiliation?”

Hierarchy?
Rules?
Beliefs?
Tradition?

I think it is more that sense of community, koinonia and the edifying examples of those around us. If that is lacking, who can blame others for leaving.
No, it is by the pure grace of God that one assents/converts and commits to anything of a religious nature.
 
There is a big article on it here:

pewforum.org/uploadedFiles/Topics/Religious_Affiliation/faithinflux_3.pdf

Here are some excerpts:

So it seems to happen to Catholics when they are young, but religious education or participation in youth groups do not seem to make a difference, at least on a national level.

There is more at the link.
It is probably the content in school and education of Catholic formation that makes a difference in staying Catholic or leaving
 
I am part of this postmodern generation. It would take a miracle to accept the kingship of God. We can accept an abstract force but not a person, certainly not a God who is justice. Only one that is a care bear.
 
We have to ask our selves, “What attracts one to religious affiliation?”

Hierarchy?
Rules?
Beliefs?
Tradition?

I think it is more that sense of community, koinonia and the edifying examples of those around us. If that is lacking, who can blame others for leaving.
No, it is by the pure grace of God that one assents/converts and commits to anything of a religious nature.
  1. Your view (especially on community) is absolutely correct! I have heard many conversion stories where the person realized all their church was to them was a place to hang out and be friends.
  2. And let us continue to pray that the grace of God continues to shine through all of us, so that others may be inspired by us and be filled with the Holy Spirit!
 
Yeah 80% (4/5) prefer religion!!! Now we need to joyfully proclaim the word.:bounce:
 
More Catholics in the millenial generation want to be a priest, nun or brother than the previous generation so there is a good news
 
is this the same study that says protestants no longer have the majority? i believe 48% describe themselves as protestants.
 
i definitely consider nondenominational churches to be protestant. i don’t understand why they would not be included unless the person or group doing the study wanted the results to show protestants are no longer a majority.
 
I involve myself deeply in Church activities, i.e., Opus Dei, Latin Mass, Eucharistic Adoration, daily Rosary and Mass (whenever possible), regular Confession, and other Church-related activities. These combined experiences give me a very positive image of Catholicism. If I were to simply attend Sunday Mass every week, with nothing more, Catholicism would not have nearly the same appeal. I would be at a loss without my Catholic faith.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top