Protestants no longer the majority in U.S

  • Thread starter Thread starter markomalley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/no-religion-pew-report_n_1949598.html

So the title of this article seemed like a bit of a no-brainer to me. We know that religious affiliation is on the decline in much of the country. But what struck me as interesting is how many people prefer to self-define God and His rules. It seems to me that this is faith in its most non-committal form. I couldn’t help but think of Revelation 3:16, “And you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I am going to vomit you from my mouth.” Is it possible this is the lukewarm attitude that was revealed to John? I pray for a fire to be lit in all of our bellies, that we might love and serve with fervent desire, hopeful love, and undying grace.
Eventually, secularism and the non-religious will peak and decline. They aren’t having kids, and if it weren’t for over-worked parents and education system at open warfare with Christianity, they’d be marginal at best.
 
huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/no-religion-pew-report_n_1949598.html

So the title of this article seemed like a bit of a no-brainer to me. We know that religious affiliation is on the decline in much of the country. But what struck me as interesting is how many people prefer to self-define God and His rules. It seems to me that this is faith in its most non-committal form. I couldn’t help but think of Revelation 3:16, “And you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I am going to vomit you from my mouth.” Is it possible this is the lukewarm attitude that was revealed to John? I pray for a fire to be lit in all of our bellies, that we might love and serve with fervent desire, hopeful love, and undying grace.
Yeah. More and more people today cannot decide on a religion because they don’t want to be a part of a group. They believe in almost all of a religion and then say “oh, I don’t believe that this means this” and leave.

St. John must have been really weirded out when he had these visions…
 
I am part of this postmodern generation. It would take a miracle to accept the kingship of God. We can accept an abstract force but not a person, certainly not a God who is justice. Only one that is a care bear.
I have to say, I agree with this a lot. When people my age (20-somethings) talk about God, many times they talk about an impersonal “force” or “entity” existing somewhere within our universe. These people seem much more comfortable with God as a concept or idea as well, which doesn’t expect much from them. But present them with the omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent Triune God who became like us to save us from ourselves and you start to lose them.

Given that, it’s no wonder many atheists will say “You believe in a sky fairy”, because many times that’s actually what people will believe in.
 
Didn’t these people get the message that we Americans are exceptional?
 
I have to say, I agree with this a lot. When people my age (20-somethings) talk about God, many times they talk about an impersonal “force” or “entity” existing somewhere within our universe. These people seem much more comfortable with God as a concept or idea as well, which doesn’t expect much from them. But present them with the omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent Triune God who became like us to save us from ourselves and you start to lose them.

Given that, it’s no wonder many atheists will say “You believe in a sky fairy”, because many times that’s actually what people will believe in.
Ditto. Many people today don’t believe in God because they don’t have a relationship with him. Then they start to think that God just created us and is just watching for some sort of entertainment.

I may have to steal your quote. More people need to watch Star Trek.
 
I don’t want to question people’s intelligence, but it is possible that an abundance of mainline ‘denominations’-- Baptists, Episcopals, etc.-- don’t refer to themselves as ‘protestants’.

And I don’t think Pew would intentionally skew the question or the data. I do wonder if they had broadened the question (or allowed for a ‘write-in’ type response other than just ‘other’) whether the data would be different.

I do like the point that one poster made earlier in the thread that it seems more people are walking away from the new-age ‘feel-goodery’ religions and coming back to the more traditional religions.
 
As a former pentelcostal, I wonder if they put pentelcostals as “other”?:blackeye:
 
“Mass” is a proper noun!!! Start by showing proper respect.
Something about removing a beam from your own eye comes to mind…

Correcting a deficiency is one thing. Yelling at someone for an honest mistake-- quite another. It was unwarranted in this case. It was an honest question with a punctuation error. You WAY missed the forest for the trees.

And the jury is still out, by the way. There is a whole thread on this website dedicated to whether or not the word ‘mass’ should be capitalized.

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=229966

PS. catholic isn’t always a proper noun…
 
I would be happy about this if this meant that Catholicism was on the rise but that does not appear to be the case. Don’t get me wrong, I love and appreciate our Protestant brothers and sisters but I also hope and pray that they would all come into the fullness of the Truth as it exists only in the Catholic Church. That said, the fact that those who claim to be non-religious seems to be on the rise is quite concerning. I am so glad that the New Evangelization has started.
 
Ditto. Many people today don’t believe in God because they don’t have a relationship with him. Then they start to think that God just created us and is just watching for some sort of entertainment.

I may have to steal your quote. More people need to watch Star Trek.
Which quote? Go right ahead!!
 
Which quote? Go right ahead!!
To boldly go where no Catholic has gone before.

Why do Picard and riker have headwarmers? Is it photoshopped or from an episode I haven’t seen yet. I am in the middle of season 3 on next gen. I have seen all of the original.

Actually, both quotes. 😉
 
To boldly go where no Catholic has gone before.

Why do Picard and riker have headwarmers? Is it photoshopped or from an episode I haven’t seen yet. I am in the middle of season 3 on next gen. I have seen all of the original.

Actually, both quotes. 😉
Haha, go right ahead. I do believe it is photoshopped. It just makes it seem silly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top