Purgatory

  • Thread starter Thread starter hoosierdaddy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Prove it” is a ridiculous demand to make regarding matters of faith. Prove that God exists. Prove that Jesus of Nazareth is the Word Incarnate. Prove that the bible is Scripture.

Now, did you want to rephrase the question?
 
Purgatory
1 Corinthians 3:14-15

14- If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15- If it is burned up, he will suffer loss, he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames
Where is this place? There is no loss in heaven.
There are other areas in the Bible that if one uses reason can see it alluded to.
I will try to look them up for you so you have them.
Also, I pray before reading the Bible for the Holy Spirit to help guide me to the word of God and that is something that I have found has in each case helped me more than I can tell you. When I do not do this, I have a much harder time getting the words in my heart, or finding things.

The CCC citations are 1030&1031.
The Final Purification, or Purgatory
1030- All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.
1031- The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:
As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the final Judgment, there will be a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy(continues) hands a bit tierd from typing
 
Any other questions I can assist you with today? Its my pleasure to help:)

Like who has the Authority to establish a Church subsequent to the one Jesus Christ did?
 
Purgatory is a place for cleansing prior to entering Heaven. IOW- its a good thing to be going there - not a bad thing. Some people will be there longer than others for sure. There is a seperate wing for the doubting thomas types that may be more painful but that is only a rumor so dont worry.
 
Happy to – if you will **first **show me where Sola Scriptura is taught in the Bible.
Hee, hee.

C’mon, now. Purgatory can be found in Hoosier’s Bible…sola scriptura can’t.

Don’t send him off on a snipe hunt.
 
Does the OP’s Bible have the word Bible in it?

Is there a list of the books that should be in the Bible in the bible?

Which Church read from the bible first in worship?

These are not trick questions.

Is there such a thing as an invisible Church? What does the Bible say?
 
Can we see the Trinity implicitly or explicitly in the Bible?

Who cleared up the Trinity issue?

Why do we worship on Sunday?
 
and the part about faith alone😉
Wait a doggone minute! Faith alone is *so *in the Bible! Right here:
Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?
Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works. Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called “the friend of God.”
See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. (James 2:20-24)
See, Smarty? 😃
 
Wait a doggone minute! Faith alone is *so *in the Bible! Right here: See, Smarty! 😃
Oh, yeah! And the Bible says “There is no God” too!

“The fool in his heart says “There is no God”.”
 
Back to the topic at hand, I think Damascus explains it better than I can:
Purgatory
1 Corinthians 3:14-15
14- If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15- If it is burned up, he will suffer loss, he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames
Where is this place? There is no loss in heaven.
There are other areas in the Bible that if one uses reason can see it alluded to.
I will try to look them up for you so you have them.
Also, I pray before reading the Bible for the Holy Spirit to help guide me to the word of God and that is something that I have found has in each case helped me more than I can tell you. When I do not do this, I have a much harder time getting the words in my heart, or finding things.
The CCC citations are 1030&1031.
The Final Purification, or Purgatory
1030- All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.
1031- The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:
As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the final Judgment, there will be a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy (continues)
Purgatory is a place for cleansing prior to entering Heaven. IOW- its a good thing to be going there - not a bad thing. Some people will be there longer than others for sure. There is a seperate wing for the doubting thomas types that may be more painful but that is only a rumor so dont worry.
 
Ok, I will try and prove it as I believe everyone believes in Purgatory unless sin doesn’t matter.
I have never met a Evangelical Protestant who doesn’t believe in Purgatory, they just usually reject the name and call it something else.
They will agree with any Catholic until they hear the word Purgatory then object so before I explain I want you to forget the word Purgatory and I will explain…

Ok?

God Bless
Scylla

I will be back in 15 minutes to explain after I make a delivery for my store. 🙂
 
(Edited by Moderator)

Purgatory is the one topic that gets too much heat from Protestants.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top