C
clmowry
Guest
Well that’s about as good as I can do. Hopefully that helps.
Chuck
Chuck
I feel your being too legalistic and literal in your thinking.jm,
Yes, paying back the dollar and often an amount of restitution also.
Here is the problem I am struggling with:
While I am alive, I can apologize, and correct my error, which may include more than just undoing the wrong I’ve done. (ie restitution)
But when I am in purgatory, I cannot give back the dollar. Your indulgence earned from a certain prayer does not replace the missing dollar, 5000 good deals do not replace the dollar. $1 million dollars to your favorite Catholic charity does not replace that one dollar I stole.
On a larger scale…If I accidentally run over a child, there is no way for me to make restitution. Not EVEN by giving up all my worldly possessions and going into prison at hard labor the rest of my days. I cannot give there child back to the parents and siblings. I cannot remove their loss nor can I ease their pain.
True, but that seems to be confusing the “pay back” analogy with the what temporal punishment is. The temporal (or “temporary”) consequences of sin are not simply “turning back the clock” on something wrong we have done.jm,
Yes, paying back the dollar and often an amount of restitution also.
Here is the problem I am struggling with:
While I am alive, I can apologize, and correct my error, which may include more than just undoing the wrong I’ve done. (ie restitution)
But when I am in purgatory, I cannot give back the dollar. Your indulgence earned from a certain prayer does not replace the missing dollar, 5000 good deals do not replace the dollar. $1 million dollars to your favorite Catholic charity does not replace that one dollar I stole.
On a larger scale…If I accidentally run over a child, there is no way for me to make restitution. Not EVEN by giving up all my worldly possessions and going into prison at hard labor the rest of my days. I cannot give there child back to the parents and siblings. I cannot remove their loss nor can I ease their pain.
That’s true - but while you are in Purgatory you can deal with the root cause of the sin, and my prayers can help you do that.jm,
Yes, paying back the dollar and often an amount of restitution also.
Here is the problem I am struggling with:
While I am alive, I can apologize, and correct my error, which may include more than just undoing the wrong I’ve done. (ie restitution)
But when I am in purgatory, I cannot give back the dollar. Your indulgence earned from a certain prayer does not replace the missing dollar, 5000 good deals do not replace the dollar. $1 million dollars to your favorite Catholic charity does not replace that one dollar I stole.
Certainly not. On the other hand, just because we cannot do that, doesn’t mean that we can’t or shouldn’t feel sorrowful, or feel the need to do whatever is in our power to help the family of that child.On a larger scale…If I accidentally run over a child, there is no way for me to make restitution. Not EVEN by giving up all my worldly possessions and going into prison at hard labor the rest of my days. I cannot give there child back to the parents and siblings. I cannot remove their loss nor can I ease their pain.
Did you see my post #89 and #100?Chuck "It’s not about an “eye for and eye and tooth for a tooth”.
It’s about having a change of heart and doing what you can to make up for the pain and suffering caused by your sin.
Not so much that you “pay for” or “pay back” God or your fellow man, but so that you grow more Christlike in the way you approach God and show Love for your fellow man."
I couldn’t agree more!!!
So how does spending time in purgatory help you do that?
Are they suffering? I’ve heard opposing views in this as to whether purgatory is a place of suffering or not.
How does what I am doing here on earth effect the person in purgatory (ie make up for the bad they’ve done and/or change their heart)
Making amends for the wrong we do is not always a case of strict restitution. For example, if I steal $1000.00 from you, but get caught and pay it back, do I still not have to go to jail for the theft? There is a penalty I personally have to pay for doing the crime in the first place, sorry though I may be. Going to prison doesn’t really accomplish anything as far as this crime goes, but simple justice demands I pay some penalty. If not, I could go on stealing with impunity.Here is the problem I am struggling with:
While I am alive, I can apologize, and correct my error, which may include more than just undoing the wrong I’ve done. (ie restitution)
But when I am in purgatory, I cannot give back the dollar. Your indulgence earned from a certain prayer does not replace the missing dollar, 5000 good deals do not replace the dollar. $1 million dollars to your favorite Catholic charity does not replace that one dollar I stole.
On a larger scale…If I accidentally run over a child, there is no way for me to make restitution. Not EVEN by giving up all my worldly possessions and going into prison at hard labor the rest of my days. I cannot give there child back to the parents and siblings. I cannot remove their loss nor can I ease their pain.
That’s three questions!So how does spending time in purgatory help you do that?
Are they suffering? I’ve heard opposing views in this as to whether purgatory is a place of suffering or not.
How does what I am doing here on earth effect the person in purgatory (ie make up for the bad they’ve done and/or change their heart)
The nature of Purgatory is unknown, but it’s “suffering” differs essentially (in it’s very essence) from that of hell.
In other words, it isn’t like the pain of hell. It’s “pains” and purging “fire” are the spiritual equivalent of our earthly penances.
Those in Purgatory endure this cleansing with joy, knowing they are headed for heaven. Those suffering the torments of hell, on the other hand, have no hope, which adds to their suffering.
When you were first learning to share with your brothers and sisters, you experienced emotional pain, and you cried (if you were a normal child). Yet, sharing with brothers and sisters is not a “punishment,” even though at the time that you are first learning to do this, it feels like one - especially since, quite often, your parents and siblings are yelling at you for not sharing.Chris, You haven’t “muddied the water”
I agree with what you have said.
But I don’t know how purgatory plays in to all of this.
We are purified of our sins in Purgatory. Which is painful. I don’t know if it’s right to say that we are being “punished” in Purgatory - that doesn’t seem like the right word to use.Fidelis, If you get caught is not the same as if you turn yourself in.
But I get your point.
You are saying, as has been said already, you have to pay a consequence in purgatory. Then purgatory is where you are punished for your sins. And that punishment purifies you?
Neither, since Purgatory didn’t exist yet, and Heaven was not yet opened up to the human race - he went to Paradise (a place of the dead) with Jesus, and then to Heaven later, after it was opened up to the human race.See this is why I wish one person or several people would come up with one answer.
jm, bad example about sharing. I always loved to share. It never bothered me. Altho, I did quickly learn that other children weren’t like that.
Your description of purgatory would be a joy for me.
Anyway, I don’t think we are getting anywhere with this. But I appreciate the several of you who tried so very hard and were so very patient with an ignorant protestant like me.
I am not going to ask my last question as I haven’t seen a clear consensus of purgatory.
But I will ask this: What happened to the crimminal on the cross next to Jesus. Purgatory or Heaven?
Actually it is. There are any number of persons in prison who turned themselves in. Perhaps they got a lighter sentence, but they still do some time. No matter; as long as you get my point.Fidelis, If you get caught is not the same as if you turn yourself in.
But I get your point.
Don’t forget that Purgatory has two functions:You are saying, as has been said already, you have to pay a consequence in purgatory. Then purgatory is where you are punished for your sins. And that punishment purifies you?
Thank you, as a Protestant enquirer, for being gracious and non-belligerent. It is a breath of fresh air in these forums.See this is why I wish one person or several people would come up with one answer.
jm, bad example about sharing. I always loved to share. It never bothered me. Altho, I did quickly learn that other children weren’t like that.
Your description of purgatory would be a joy for me.
Anyway, I don’t think we are getting anywhere with this. But I appreciate the several of you who tried so very hard and were so very patient with an ignorant protestant like me.
I am not going to ask my last question as I haven’t seen a clear consensus of purgatory.
But I will ask this: What happened to the crimminal on the cross next to Jesus. Purgatory or Heaven?
Hard to say.I won’t be debating this with you. Just curious what you think and why.
Yes, but there is still a penalty to be paid, remorseful or no. That’s the point.It’s not the same Fidelis. The person who turns himself in does it out of remorse for what he has done.
The person who gets caught generally only feels bad about getting caught.