Question: friend had visions about me

  • Thread starter Thread starter vtech2009
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks to all of you for your replies, I appreciate it.

Some additional comments and clarification to points some of you have raised:
  • This is not a complete stranger, as although I do not know her for very long, I have spent probably 10 hours discussing faith with her, and she also discussed her relationship with God and experiences, which to be honest, were quite striking, as she did a complete 360 degree change in her life. I told her that I am seeking to build a better relationship with God.
  • I prayed for the holy spirit and stronger bond to God before meeting her, maybe 2-3 weeks ago
  • She has been attending charismatic assemblies for 1-2 years under guidance of a priest, so she has experience with this
  • She said this is the first time she has experienced this without being at the assembly. She never had this experience “individually”, but always during the charismatic assemblies within a Group, so she is quite shocked as well why she has been shown this and why she has experienced this. she says it wasnt her intention.
  • The day after, she said she was not herself, and heard voices/whispers. At the end of the day, she said she is herself now, and was as it seems, under the power of the Holy Spirit. During that day, she shared with me two bible verses. Other than that, she didn’t reveal much more details or any additional visions.
  • She said it started when she prayed for me, using intercession prayer to the Holy Spirit. She said it wasn’t her intention to receive visions or images, and that it’s hard for her to describe exactly what she saw, and how long the vision was. She said she prayed and first saw an evil spirit above me, and got scared and stopped. Then, knowing she is in the grace of God and receiving full sacraments, decided to start intercession prayer, and that’s when it all started to happen.
I think I was uneasy about this as I felt I need to come quickly to a conclusion whether this is the truth or not, and I struggled with this. I think I have come to the conclusion that I can take my time, and ask God to tell me if this is true. In any case, the message seems to be good in nature, and in the end, if true or not, does not change the way I wish to behave going forward, I will continue praying and building a relationship with God, so I guess nothing changes. I guess I can only pray and hope that it is true that God has renewed me and lighted a flame in my heart, as has been conveyed to me by my friend.

Any additional comments are also welcomed after some clarifications above 🙂

Thanks!
 
When people say they have a dream, or a thought, or anything about me, then I know that God has seen to it, they have at least considered me in their thoughts.

If they offer me scripture verses, I will look them up. Who cares if they are from an “approved source?” Sometimes I get something out of looking up something I wasn’t officially “supposed to” look up.

I don’t need a bishop or theologian to tell me that if someone had a vision about me and Jesus that a) I shouldn’t consider it literal prophecy, or b) if a personal friend – or an enemy for that matter – looking up that scripture and reading it cannot harm my faith.

Now if I go thinking there was some supernatural reason this person thought of me, or that it is action of the Holy Spirit, that’s great. If I don’t, that doesn’t mean I can’t listen with intent and look up the Bible verses. It takes practically nothing (even non-religious things) to trigger me to look up Bible verses – so it seems patently absurd to hesitate to look them up because an “approved person” didn’t tell me to do it under some infallible Yes It’s OK to Read the Bible. There is a lot of that in Catholic culture though; that the Bible is something too spooky to just open and read without being at Mass or under guidance by a priest or teacher. Since Vatican II it’s gotten better, but we have a long way to go before Joe Pewsitter is about to crack open a Bible outside of Church, just for curiosity or for “no particular reason at all.”

I was prayed over by charismatic Holy Spirit people several years ago, who believed God could heal my mental illness. The “experts” had told me it couldn’t be done. So I guess the “wackos” won in this case. 👍

Don’t be afraid to let yourself imagine all sorts of What May Be. Children do that – and Jesus says to be like children so maybe that’s part of it. They haven’t let what others have told them about “reality” bringing them down to the point they miss the cues of the Holy Spirit. That’s why we have to die to ourselves and be born in the spirit – because the “selves” we have to die to are the artificial mental constructs that make us look toward people in positions of power and glory, instead of reading the teachings we have documented, from some teenage mother in the back of a stable somewhere. Wisdom comes from everywhere, for those who are in the spirit.

Rom 8:28, baby!

MS
 
When God has something to tell you, He will tell YOU, not some random person.

Many years ago I used to belong to a church where people would have “a word from the Lord” for other people. One can do a lot of mischief that way. Most of the people meant well, but harm could still inadvertently be done.

I have a relative who attends that kind of church. Several years ago she had a “vision” that her daughter would meet a man with a certain name & they would be married & have children. The relative took her daughter out to buy a wedding dress & they had the wedding all planned. Not only has she not met this man, her health has taken a turn for the worse & it is unlikely she will ever be able to have children. It’s not even a given that she will be alive in a few more years. The relative no longer mentions the upcoming nuptials. She has also stopped telling us that she has a message from God for us.

Just tell people like your new friend “thank you” and ignore what they say.
👍
 
Saint Paul wrote “do not despise prophesying, but test everything” (1 Thes 5:20-21) You should not automatically accept what such a person tells you, but decide if it is actually something you should hear. Since God wants you to test such things, you needn’t decide about it now. You can take your time to decide, as long as you need to decide. Until then, it is better not to consider what you were told as true. If it is from God, I would think you would learn about this later. You should pray about this too, but I think you are already doing this.
👍
 
Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks to all of you for your replies, I appreciate it.

Some additional comments and clarification to points some of you have raised:
  • This is not a complete stranger, as although I do not know her for very long, I have spent probably 10 hours discussing faith with her, and she also discussed her relationship with God and experiences, which to be honest, were quite striking, as she did a complete 360 degree change in her life. I told her that I am seeking to build a better relationship with God.
  • I prayed for the holy spirit and stronger bond to God before meeting her, maybe 2-3 weeks ago
  • She has been attending charismatic assemblies for 1-2 years under guidance of a priest, so she has experience with this
  • She said this is the first time she has experienced this without being at the assembly. She never had this experience “individually”, but always during the charismatic assemblies within a Group, so she is quite shocked as well why she has been shown this and why she has experienced this. she says it wasnt her intention.
  • The day after, she said she was not herself, and heard voices/whispers. At the end of the day, she said she is herself now, and was as it seems, under the power of the Holy Spirit. During that day, she shared with me two bible verses. Other than that, she didn’t reveal much more details or any additional visions.
  • She said it started when she prayed for me, using intercession prayer to the Holy Spirit. She said it wasn’t her intention to receive visions or images, and that it’s hard for her to describe exactly what she saw, and how long the vision was. She said she prayed and first saw an evil spirit above me, and got scared and stopped. Then, knowing she is in the grace of God and receiving full sacraments, decided to start intercession prayer, and that’s when it all started to happen.
I think I was uneasy about this as I felt I need to come quickly to a conclusion whether this is the truth or not, and I struggled with this. I think I have come to the conclusion that I can take my time, and ask God to tell me if this is true. In any case, the message seems to be good in nature, and in the end, if true or not, does not change the way I wish to behave going forward, I will continue praying and building a relationship with God, so I guess nothing changes. I guess I can only pray and hope that it is true that God has renewed me and lighted a flame in my heart, as has been conveyed to me by my friend.

Any additional comments are also welcomed after some clarifications above 🙂

Thanks!
It concerns me is that the following day your friend experienced hearing voices and whispers and was ‘out of sorts’ - this is not of the Holy Spirit, that is diabolical. Your friend may have experienced a form of backlash Satan/dominions, however would need the discernment from your priest for your own spiritual well being.

She may also have gifts from God, this is where it is important for your friend to have spiritual guidance.

You don’t need to answer this but has she been involved the occult prior to her turnaround?

God Bless
THT
 
When God has something to tell you, He will tell YOU, not some random person.

Many years ago I used to belong to a church where people would have “a word from the Lord” for other people. One can do a lot of mischief that way. Most of the people meant well, but harm could still inadvertently be done.

I have a relative who attends that kind of church. Several years ago she had a “vision” that her daughter would meet a man with a certain name & they would be married & have children. The relative took her daughter out to buy a wedding dress & they had the wedding all planned. Not only has she not met this man, her health has taken a turn for the worse & it is unlikely she will ever be able to have children. It’s not even a given that she will be alive in a few more years. The relative no longer mentions the upcoming nuptials. She has also stopped telling us that she has a message from God for us.

Just tell people like your new friend “thank you” and ignore what they say.
That was my experience with these kinds of people in the Charismatic movement. I agree with you 100%. People use this kind of talk to control and manipulate others. That is how false teachers lead others astray.
 
Thanks guys! Seems like most people are leaning towards it being false, and I am as well. After thinking about it in more depth, it seems more like manipulation. But who knows, it seems just off and odd.

God bless!
 
It amazes me, all the detail to which people seem to think they understand the workings of the Holy Spirit. The “mysterious ways” in which God works, are always going to have to fall within the laws laid out by such of you “in the know.” 😉

God “will” speak to/through you like THIS but not like THAT. Gosh where does all of this even come from? :rolleyes:
 
It amazes me, all the detail to which people seem to think they understand the workings of the Holy Spirit. The “mysterious ways” in which God works, are always going to have to fall within the laws laid out by such of you “in the know.” 😉

God “will” speak to/through you like THIS but not like THAT. Gosh where does all of this even come from? :rolleyes:
I’m not sure what you are trying to say here but I’ve never bought the idea or line that “God works in mysterious ways”. That is usually the excuse people use to imply God is unpredictable. That is not true or even supported in the Bible and even by Church teaching and tradition. Private revelations which is what Op was asking about is always secondary and subservient to already accepted and revealed truth. Even Church approved visions, apparitions etc are not required to be believed in. With that in mind someone, maybe very well meaning goes up to another person and then tells them that they had some kind of vision or dream or whatever about the other person should always be suspect and taken with a grain of salt and viewed in the context of established Church teaching and scripture.
Op already has had worries over this so called vision and the well meaning people that fall into this type of “God told me to tell you” end up misleading others and themselves.
 
She has been attending charismatic assemblies. She has experiences during the charismatic assemblies. She didn’t reveal much, but she saw an evil spirit above you and the after she heard voices/whispers.
Whether it is genuine or not is of no importance. Either way it isn’t worth your while paying attention to, as if it was genuine - it was demoniac. There are a lot of criticisms that can be made about the so called “charismatic renewal” which is strongly inspired by pentacostalism and isn’t exactly safe practice. Using music, no matter how innocent the lyrics may be, to aid them in working themselves into a form of trance is altogether ridiculous and leaves them open to all kinds of influence.

If God wanted to reveal something to you He wouldn’t leave you in doubt. He surely wouldn’t reveal something using so suspicious of methods. The Holy Spirit is God, and God is dignified. Don’t worry.
 
Whether it is genuine or not is of no importance. Either way it isn’t worth your while paying attention to, as if it was genuine - it was demoniac. There are a lot of criticisms that can be made about the so called “charismatic renewal” which is strongly inspired by pentacostalism and isn’t exactly safe practice. Using music, no matter how innocent the lyrics may be, to aid them in working themselves into a form of trance is altogether ridiculous and leaves them open to all kinds of influence.
Hi POJIUJH, I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by " Using music, no matter how innocent the lyrics may be, to aid them in working themselves into a form of trance."

What exactly is this “trance” you are referring to?
 
Hi POJIUJH, I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by " Using music, no matter how innocent the lyrics may be, to aid them in working themselves into a form of trance."

What exactly is this “trance” you are referring to?
From my past experiences, I’d call it a “trance-like state.” Music that is repetitive - such as the repeated singing of a simple line or 2 - can produce “spiritual” feelings. Then if a thought comes into one’s mind, it’s easy to assume that it is God communicating.

It is from these experiences that I came to not trust feelings, or the charismatic movement, either. People I know who are/were involved in such things tend to be gullible. I’m including myself; I tended to believe what seemingly trustworthy people said without question.
 
I’m not sure what you are trying to say here but I’ve never bought the idea or line that “God works in mysterious ways”. That is usually the excuse people use to imply God is unpredictable. That is not true or even supported in the Bible and even by Church teaching and tradition.
Wow. You understand the mind of God. My SD told me to read Job 37-42, and I couldn’t figure it out. I’m so impressed that you understand the workings of God, and the precise ways in which He does and does not communicate through the Holy Spirit.

I take back everything I’ve ever said, that you don’t agree with because obviously you are a creature who is greater than the mortal human I claim to be.

:bowdown:
 
I’m not sure what you are trying to say here but I’ve never bought the idea or line that “God works in mysterious ways”. That is usually the excuse people use to imply God is unpredictable. That is not true or even supported in the Bible and even by Church teaching and tradition. Private revelations which is what Op was asking about is always secondary and subservient to already accepted and revealed truth. Even Church approved visions, apparitions etc are not required to be believed in. With that in mind someone, maybe very well meaning goes up to another person and then tells them that they had some kind of vision or dream or whatever about the other person should always be suspect and taken with a grain of salt and viewed in the context of established Church teaching and scripture.
Op already has had worries over this so called vision and the well meaning people that fall into this type of “God told me to tell you” end up misleading others and themselves.
🙂 This forum seems to be quite divided 🙂
 
Does it make any difference that I had a quite disturbing dream a couple days before receiving such vision? I rarely have such nightmares, especially ones that stay in mind for several days after and bother me…
 
I doubt it. I rarely remember my dreams and even the nightmares are pretty stupid. There is one nightmare I still remember after many years: I dreamed I was being attacked by a bear. I woke up terrified - then realized the dream had been triggered by my husband’s snoring. :rolleyes:
 
So what do you guys think about the charismatic movement then? I mean, it seems like a lot of weird things going on there, visions of scripture, speaking in tongues, etc. etc.

I’ve never been, anyone experienced such things?
 
So what do you guys think about the charismatic movement then? I mean, it seems like a lot of weird things going on there, visions of scripture, speaking in tongues, etc. etc.

I’ve never been, anyone experienced such things?
I’ve been to some “holy spirit” meeting where they “prayed over me” for things that seemed hopeless at the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top