C
CelticWarlord
Guest
I agree and have never given it a thought. I have three kids and three grandkids.Hell has many many damned souls. I don’t share this view
I agree and have never given it a thought. I have three kids and three grandkids.Hell has many many damned souls. I don’t share this view
My counter-proposition is that we don’t know any rational person who actually has that combination of fears.Been posting for hours. The proposition that it is rational to fear bringing a child into a world with a very limited salvation. The rest confined to eternal torment. It got the ball rolling.
Yes, I did read the question. I and several others gave reasons why the answer is “no, it shouldn’t be a consideration.”You didn’t read my question. The question was,“should it be a consideration?”
Ok, so I’m not exactly certain if Max is directly referencing DB Hart’s recent work on universal reconciliation, but it’s close enough to Hart’s thought experiment.My counter-proposition is that we don’t know any rational person who actually has that combination of fears.
“And now, Lord, thou knowest, that not for fleshly lust do I take my sister* to wife, but only for the love of posterity, in which thy name may be blessed for ever and ever.”
Fair enough. Although there are undoubtedly some who do actually hope that folks like Hitler are bound for unending suffering. Not most people, mind you, but some. And then there are those who are in what might be called a “group-stage” of consciousness—the tribal stage where one over-identifies with a group and forms an allegiance to it. This group includes some members and excludes others. In this particular case, the group is Catholics. And the Catholics will, in the end, be the eschatological ‘winners.’ They’ll be Team Heaven. Lumen Gentium 16 leaves open the possibility that there may be some other stragglers on the winning Team too. But, it’s the Catholic Church that is the main vehicle for being on the right Team in the eschaton. Again, this is group over identification, and it’s a fairly low level of a consciousness/spirituality that some of us won’t rise above here on Earth. These folks are perfectly ok with the idea that they’re the winners. They may feel sorry for the “others” who are outside of the heavenly country club, but they’re also ok with the fact that there is an exclusive heavenly club and happy as clams that they’re members.I don’t think anyone (well, maybe the Westboro Baptist people) defends the idea of Hell because they like it or want a single soul to end up there.
I’ll only grant that in the medieval church in the West was there such a consensus. But considering East vs West? Early vs Medieval vs Modern vs Contemporary? I’m afraid no such consensus exists.The consensus of Scripture and Tradition (and, obviously, Magisterial teaching)
I am reading ‘The City of God’ by St Augustine and he is of the opinion that most people are going to Hell. This is because most people are faithless and ignore God. And to neglect those who do not seek God is but justice, he says.Many Catholics believe Hell has many many damned souls. I don’t share this view, but maybe they are right. Let’s assume they are.
As a parent, though, I know you have to let go and allow your children to choose what they decide to choose. You cannot force them to choose what is best for them.Petra, the fact that you and countless others don’t think this way is evidence of the fact (so Hart argues) that people don’t actually believe in the real possibility of an all-good Creator condemning forever their own children. At our core, we know better than to believe in such a monstrous version of divinity.
I think it is axiomatic that human beings are really bad at risk assessment, though.But Hart’s point is precisely this—if it’s 50/50 whether our children end up in Heaven or Hell, then it would be irrational to create these children and expose them to this real possibility of eternal damnation. And yet, couples keep having children left and right. Stands to reason then that we don’t actually believe in this real possibility. We tell ourselves that we do only because we are trying to be faithful to what we believe Mother Church teaches on the subject.
Very true. My children range from ages 19 down to 10. And yes, this “letting go” process extends to every area of life. It happens naturally to us as we age, I think. It’s sort of a process of “disidentification,” as it were. But I can only truly do this toward the most precious creatures (to me) in the whole world—my children—because of my utter confidence in a God who wills and works for the good of all his creatures. If I did not believe in such a God, I can imagine suffering from an acute anxiety, paranoia and a desire to be very controlling over my children—for the purpose of increasing their ‘chances’ of getting into Heaven. I can only let it all go because God is infinitely good and will ever will and work for the good end of all his creations.As a parent, though, I know you have to let go and allow your children to choose what they decide to choose. You cannot force them to choose what is best for them.