Questions for charismatics

• Thread starter Thread starter Les_Richardson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
FrankvT:
I honestly can not understand why God needs or wants us to pray in a language we don’t understand. He obviously does not need this language, He knows and understands all. It would make more sense if we understand what we are saying when we pray.
Maybe because SATAN doesnt understand it, and wont interupt it :confused:

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
Maybe because SATAN doesnt understand it, and wont interupt it :confused:
Maybe satan but also the person saying it and that doesn’t make sense.

40.png
FrankvT:
Maybe satan but also the person saying it and that doesn’t make sense.
Since God understands all, it doesn’t need to make sense. The other day, as a minister of care I had to do a communion service at the hospital in spanish. I don’t understand spanish, but I can read it. I didn’t have the slightest clue what it was that I was saying, but the person in the hospital bed and God understood.

40.png
RichT:
Since God understands all, it doesn’t need to make sense. The other day, as a minister of care I had to do a communion service at the hospital in spanish. I don’t understand spanish, but I can read it. I didn’t have the slightest clue what it was that I was saying, but the person in the hospital bed and God understood.
But the person speaking in tongues doesn’t understand it either!!

40.png
FrankvT:
Correct,in prayer language.[tongues] only the trinity understands it. 👍

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
Correct,in prayer language.[tongues] only the trinity understands it. 👍
And that makes no sense if the person does not know what he is saying.The Lord does not need this language.

40.png
FrankvT:
And that makes no sense if the person does not know what he is saying.The Lord does not need this language.
Frank ,To you it doesnt make any sense,but it does to God.Maybe ,my answer about satan not understanding it makes sense. Maybe this prayer uttered is invisable to the enemy so that he will not attack it. :confused:

40.png
FrankvT:
That doesn’t matter. The person certainly knows what is on thier mind. How about this? Suppose you needed to tell someone something extremely important, and you just couldn’t find the right words. What if you could just start talking and it didn’t matter what words came out or for that matter just sounds came out? What if that was all you needed to convey your thoughts and this person understood clearly what you were saying? Would it really matter if you didn’t even understand your own words as long as they got the message?

I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be stubborn. I can’t understand trying to express yourself yet not knowing what you are saying . If it is invisible to satan that would be great. Then why aren’t more prayers done this way. Not only by someone who is charismatic but in all prayer groups by more people and with people who understand it.Perhaps even a part of Mass??

40.png
FrankvT:
I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be stubborn. I can’t understand trying to express yourself yet not knowing what you are saying . If it is invisible to satan that would be great. Then why aren’t more prayers done this way. Not only by someone who is charismatic but in all prayer groups by more people and with people who understand it.Perhaps even a part of Mass??

Its a gift that God gives to those whom he wishes. It is a perfect prayer language that can only be spoken by the power of the Holy Spirit and only interpreted by God. Thats all I Know. I trust in it and I pray it in faith . As far as satan not understanding is only an assumption made by me. None of us really know if that is true. Sorry to confuse you. :confused:

40.png
FrankvT:
. Not only by someone who is charismatic but in all prayer groups by more people and with people who understand it.Perhaps even a part of Mass??

We can never add or change any prayers of the Mass.

Anyone can pray in tongue, but it is usually only done in Charismatic groups.

40.png
Mysty101:
We can never add or change any prayers of the Mass.

Anyone can pray in tongue, but it is usually only done in Charismatic groups.
I know. I was just trying to enforce my point.

40.png
FrankvT:

All I can say is as catholics we have a lot of mysterious things within our faith, however, we have faith in those mysteries. I have faith that it really doesn’t matter if I understand the words or not. God hears my prayer, and He understands.

40.png
Mysty101:
Do you feel that anything posted here challenges that point?
I mean’t to say that I know you can’t change tha Mass.

If tongues is the work of the Holy Spirit to help us pray,. Then again I ask : Why is it not more common for everyone?

40.png
FrankvT:
I mean’t to say that I know you can’t change tha Mass.

If tongues is the work of the Holy Spirit to help us pray,. Then again I ask : Why is it not more common for everyone?
As you have probley figured out by reading these post, many simply don’t understand, or are fearful of the gift of tongues due to the emphasis placed in it by some churches. The Holy Spirit may give you a gift, but can’t force you to acknowledge it or even use it.

40.png
RichT:
In my parish we have over 7000 families registered. People drive over an hour to attend my parish. At all of the masses on Sunday, it is standing room only 20 minutes before mass even starts. To me, this is true renewel. We never have a problem getting people to take part in different ministries. We are always ahead financialy at the end of the year. We run a church owned soup kitchen that feeds 400-500 people nightly. As I said in my firts post, mass is celebrated in a reverant manner with certain restraint. I agree with what you say about revitalization in the entire church. I guess I have only seen revitalization taking place in parishes like the one I attend. There needs to always be different pairshes that celebrate the mass a little different so people can choose to attend where they feel the most comfortable. It is for this same reason that the dioceses around the nation are allowing the TLM again. Poeple want the TLM because they prefer it. I wany my charismatic parish because I prefer it.
You are truly blessed, RichT. And, as I said in another post, I have no doubt that there are places such as your parish, where God is working in the hearts and minds of the people and drawing them closer to himself, and at the same time motivating them to evangelization and charity. And, I should clarify, I believe that God can work through the CCR. Indeed, he can use anyone, anytime for His own glory and kingdom.

Hi Les,
I guess it will be awhile before you’ll ever get your original questions addressed…

What would you consider an “abuse” generally?

*Can there be abuse of the gift of tongues? Or prayer language? How so? **Can there be abuse of the phenomenon of being “slain in the spirit”? How so? *Could there ever be a deception in the source of tongues or falling? *If not, why not? **If so, from where would the deception come? From the person or other persons? From another spirit? *How would you recognize a deception in yourself? In another person or persons? In a group?

Les Richardson:
You are truly blessed, RichT. And, as I said in another post, I have no doubt that there are places such as your parish, where God is working in the hearts and minds of the people and drawing them closer to himself, and at the same time motivating them to evangelization and charity. And, I should clarify, I believe that God can work through the CCR. Indeed, he can use anyone, anytime for His own glory and kingdom.
Thank you for your kind words. They are refreshing compared to some of the more un-charitable comments we charismatics receive on this forum. God Bless.

:blessyou:

40.png
gnome:
Hi Les,
I guess it will be awhile before you’ll ever get your original questions addressed…

What would you consider an “abuse” generally?

*Can there be abuse of the gift of tongues? Or prayer language? How so? **Can there be abuse of the phenomenon of being “slain in the spirit”? How so? *Could there ever be a deception in the source of tongues or falling? *If not, why not? **If so, from where would the deception come? From the person or other persons? From another spirit? *How would you recognize a deception in yourself? In another person or persons? In a group?
Perhaps if you would scroll up and read my lengthy replies to Les, you would see that I have attempted to answer as many of his questions as possible. I only answered where I have experience, so some questions may not have been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back