Questions from a former Catholic thinking about returning

• Thread starter Thread starter Unique_name
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Building the Church on an action (the profession of faith) necessarily takes Christ out of the picture.
What if the church wasn’t built on the profession of faith but on the truth of the profession? Jesus said, “I am the truth,” and Peter said, “You are the Christ.” I’ve never taken the Rock to be Peter’s confession, but what was confessed. That Christ is true. And that wouldn’t make it a failure or take Christ out of the picture.

Does that make sense?

What if the church wasn’t built on the profession of faith but on the truth of the profession?
But then Christ’s promise was that the truth would endure. Again, there can be no gap between Calvary and the Church. Any Church not founded in 33 AD in the Upper Room, by the Holy Spirit descending on Mary and the Apostles (Acts 2), does not have the full truth.

I think I see what you’re saying, but tell me if I’m wrong. The proclamation Jesus is Christ is the foundation of the Church? I agree, and that essentially was my understanding. But I see it as incomplete. Yes the Church at its core is making that claim, and that’s the why of it all. But that doesn’t explain the how that Christ established.

For it is easy to say that Jesus is Christ. In fact, just saying Jesus Christ is an admission of His title. Many people say that today as an expletive. Yet not all mean what it intends. It is not enough to proclaim His name, especially since the Christian faith developed over time after Christ’s Ascension.

What does the profession mean? And fundamentally, who gets to say what it means? This is the question that drew me to the Church. No one but Peter can say they have the directive from Christ Himself to determine what Christ meant by receiving the power of binding and loosing.

While I still struggle with some concepts, I had to admit that was in line with Old Testament precepts regarding a priestly, hierarchical structure. What wasn’t in line with Old Testament precepts was an individualistic determination of God’s Will.

Last edited:
It does affect one’s living a Christ-like life. The dogma of the Assumption/Dormition is de fide divina et Catholicam . It does not say that she died.

In his epistle, St. James says (I’m paraphrasing here) that if one keeps the entire law but offends in one point is guilty of breaking the entire law.

If we keep every part of the Catholic Faith except one (or more) dogma(s) that we don’t want to accept, then we are no longer Catholic. That does impact our spiritual life because if we persist in error then we are no longer part of the Mystical Body of Christ, the Catholic Church.
Scripture teaches that one’s final salvation depends on the state of the soul at death. As Jesus himself tells us, “He who endures to the end will be saved” (Matt. 24:13; cf. 25:31–46). One who dies in the state of friendship with God (the state of grace) will go to heaven. The one who dies in a state of enmity and rebellion against God (the state of mortal sin) will go to hell.

Understanding all Church dogma is not required to be “in the state of friendship with God”

Understanding all Church dogma is not required to be “in the state of friendship with God
Assent is required, knowledge is not. You don’t have to understand why Mary is conceived without sin, but you do have to accept it. Now if you reject something that you do know is divinely revealed… that’s not a good idea. (Hebrews 10:26-29)

Last edited:
So you are saying Mary won’t protect me if I don’t believe the dogma??

That’s not the Mary I pray to.
Q: Is it necessary for salvation to believe in the help of Mary and the saints?

A: It is through Mary that salvation (=Christ) came to us but she is not salvation. She is the first redeemed person through Jesus. Catholic faith does not obligate us to believe in Mary as the mandatory way to or source of salvation. However, salvation is much more than myself and my God, saved or damned. Knowing that our salvation is and through Christ, our sole mediator, we celebrate, share, encourage and help each other in the communion of saints. We attempt to follow in the footsteps of Jesus Christ our ultimate model and are happy to be a part of the circle of His disciples.

Last edited:
So you are saying Mary won’t protect me if I don’t believe the dogma??

That’s not the Mary I pray to
Never said that. Forget about me. Read the Catechism.
2089 Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. " Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him."
As has been stated, the Immaculate Conception is a dogma that must be believed with divine and Catholic faith. If you don’t understand it, that’s not incredulity; but if you do understand and reject it, or decide that you just don’t care and ignore it, that might be a problem.

P.S. You didn’t ID your source. It’s from the FAQs at the IMRI. They aren’t talking about the Immaculate Conception there.

Last edited:
Read my quote again, I’m not denying we received Christ through Mary
From what I can tell, you said of two Marian dogmata (the Assumption and Immaculate Conception), that “none of that really matters or impacts my challenges with living a Christ like life.”

@Margaret_Ann is concerned that you may not understand that Catholics are required to assent to those doctrines. That doesn’t mean you have to understand them, or that Mary will be offended or not love you if you don’t. You seem to understand that She is not like that at all, so I won’t belabor that except to say that She may be trying to get you to look into them for your benefit. 🙂

Surprisingly, many Protestants would burn me at the stake for just how sympathetic I am with Catholics. I’ve had some even go as far as to question whether or not I am even really a Christian because of how much I agree with concerning Catholic teaching. On the other hand, I have friends who have come to me with questions about if something they heard really was what the Catholic Church teaches. (“Does the Catholic Church really teach that works grant us salvation?”)
@Unique_name , I’ve been considering starting a topic about Protestant attitudes towards Catholicism. Looks like you have seen it all. Some old fashioned “they aren’t even Christians” and some genuinely interested folks. As a convert myself I’m seriously worried about the future of my Protestant friends as the secularism in society just gets worse, but maybe you would be a better person to start such a topic. What do you think?

@MarysLurker Why don’t you do the honors, and feel free to tag me in it? I’d be interested in reading the thread but I’m afraid that I’m just not very good at keeping updated on threads.

40.png
VeryBlessed:
Even if you don’t end up coming back, I urge you to deeply investigate what the Catholic Church REALLY teaches, and come to see that belonging to this church is a true and valid means of growing in holiness. A warning - once you get past the Protestant spin on certain Catholic beliefs, you may find the Catholic view quite compelling…! You might try Scott Hahn’s book Rome Sweet Home. God bless you.
Surprisingly, many Protestants would burn me at the stake for just how sympathetic I am with Catholics. I’ve had some even go as far as to question whether or not I am even really a Christian because of how much I agree with concerning Catholic teaching. On the other hand, I have friends who have come to me with questions about if something they heard really was what the Catholic Church teaches. (“Does the Catholic Church really teach that works grant us salvation?”)

I guess you could say I’m on the doorstep but not stepping in at this point.
Maybe I missed it, but why are you thinking of returning ?

As I mentioned, I’m not debating the gospel. The gospel is that Christ, fully God and fully man, was born of a virgin and died to save us from the punishment and power of our sins and reconcile us to God. I believe we are in agreement there.

My question is that even if Paul himself or an angel from heaven could fall and be condemned, why not the Catholic Church?
Jesus said, to Peter, that not even the gates of hell will prevail against … ? The Church Jesus builds on Peter and those in complete union with Peter. That is the Catholic Church

40.png
AlmaRedemptorisMater:
But once I understood that Jesus Christ established His Church upon Peter, and He promised it would never fall
Okay so what is the answer to the common Protestant argument that it was Peter’s confession (not Peter himself) - “You are the Christ” - that Jesus built his church on?
Peter and his faith are one. It’s NOT an either/or it’s a both/and

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but why are you thinking of returning ?
A number of long explanations, but to condense it down, I had something extremely odd happen recently that opened up many doors at a very coincidental time.

40.png
Loud-living-dogma:
OP: when was the last time you confessed your sins to another person, like it says to in the Bible?
I do this frequently. To my husband, to my children, to my pastor, to my friends.
It’s one of the reasons I mentioned that fellowship is so important to me, because I rely on that accountability and encouragement in my daily life. My problem isn’t that I don’t take scripture seriously, or pick and choose which I want to follow, but that, as it stands, I’m not 100% convinced that what I see in Scripture is consistent with what the Catholic Church teaches. I’m further along after reading many of these answers and articles that have been shared, but I do have one extra question that popped up. (And to reiterate, I’m not doing this in a spirit of argument or contention, I’m genuinely trying to arrive at a knowledge of the truth and, for me, that involved unraveling everything going on in my brain and sorting it out and having my questions answered.)

So my next question is this -…
if it all more or less rests on whether or not the Church has the authority she claims, then how am I to apply Paul’s words to the Galatians when he says, "But even if I or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel other than the one you have received, let him be condemned."
Simple. Keep reading in Gal.

Paul in his letters, is writing to and for the Church he is already in. He says, in Gal that Division / dissension διχοστασίαι Gal 5:20 , is a huge sin. How huge? He says " I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." [Gal 5:21] IOW they go to hell. This is where the phrase Outside the Church there is no salvation comes from.

The Church Paul is writing to and for, is the Catholic Church

From Luke

Acts 9:31

From the Greek Study Bible
Ἡ μὲν οὖν ἐκκλησία καθ’ ὅλης τῆς

Translation:
ἐκκλησία = church,
καθ’ = according to,
ὅλης = whole, entire, universal,
τῆς = the,
= the Kataholos Church = the Catholic Church.

Lots of historical links can be provided showing the name Catholic Church has been used in writing, from the 1st century till today

Last edited:
40.png
Processing my return to the Church Catholic Living
Maybe writing this all down will help me process it. At the very least, I hope it blesses those who read it. Seven years ago (this month, I think) I left the Catholic Church. I was eighteen years old and had been studying the faith sincerely since I was about fifteen. At eighteen, I was studying the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Bible side by side (literally, both were open on my bed at the same time). I discovered several inconsistencies (most of which I can’t remember at this point…
For anyone interested, I’m returning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back