J
JackieMom
Guest
Hi,
I’m hoping for some insight and direction. I joined this site because I’m not sure where else to look for help with this problem…
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools. I loved my upbringing and my education. I think raising kids in the Catholic faith is an excellent way to hedge your bets on producing kind, responsible, healthy adults. I appreciate the values of the Catholic church, and the sense of faith that I had as a child.
Having said that, now, as an adult, I have pretty much lost my faith. It’s not that I went looking to not believe, but as hard as I’ve tried to remain a faithful Catholic and live the faith, experience the sacraments, etc. I just can’t. I am a skeptical, scientific person by nature and as much as I WISH I could believe, I can’t make myself. I’ve done prayer groups, Bible studies, private counseling with a deacon, loads of reading, adoration - but ultimately I just cannot say that I necessarily believe there is a God. Believe me - I WANT there to be a God, but I have not seen any verifiable proof that there is one and there are too many inconsistencies in the Catholic Church for be to buy into it.
Having said that, I do LOVE the tradition of the faith. I love the art, the ceremony, the values, the music… My husband and I have three children, and we do wish to raise them Catholic. I hope that they can have the faith that I don’t have. I want them to feel secure that there is a loving God watching over them, and that our departed friends and relatives are safe in the arms of Jesus. Even if this is all just a nice fairy tale to make people feel better about the hardships and sadnesses of life, I want that security and peace for my kids. I know I enjoyed it as a child, and I want my children to feel the same.
Is it wrong of me to raise Catholic kids, even if I don’t believe? Is it wrong of me to want them to have (even a false) sense of security and to experience the idea that there is a God who loves them unconditionally? If they decide, as adults, that it’s hocus pocus - then fine. I just want my kids to go to bed at night feeling safe and loved by not only me, but by God.
I’m conflicted because I don’t feel right about LYING to my kids, but I was raised well and it seems like I should provide my kids with the opportunity to have faith. Plus, I do love the Catholic CULTURE, and I think there is a lot of value in it. I enjoy Mass for the experience and I enjoy all the saint stories and lore and tradition and am fine with participating in it. My kids go to Catholic school and it’s great. I’m just looking for some honest advice here. Thank you.
I’m hoping for some insight and direction. I joined this site because I’m not sure where else to look for help with this problem…
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools. I loved my upbringing and my education. I think raising kids in the Catholic faith is an excellent way to hedge your bets on producing kind, responsible, healthy adults. I appreciate the values of the Catholic church, and the sense of faith that I had as a child.
Having said that, now, as an adult, I have pretty much lost my faith. It’s not that I went looking to not believe, but as hard as I’ve tried to remain a faithful Catholic and live the faith, experience the sacraments, etc. I just can’t. I am a skeptical, scientific person by nature and as much as I WISH I could believe, I can’t make myself. I’ve done prayer groups, Bible studies, private counseling with a deacon, loads of reading, adoration - but ultimately I just cannot say that I necessarily believe there is a God. Believe me - I WANT there to be a God, but I have not seen any verifiable proof that there is one and there are too many inconsistencies in the Catholic Church for be to buy into it.
Having said that, I do LOVE the tradition of the faith. I love the art, the ceremony, the values, the music… My husband and I have three children, and we do wish to raise them Catholic. I hope that they can have the faith that I don’t have. I want them to feel secure that there is a loving God watching over them, and that our departed friends and relatives are safe in the arms of Jesus. Even if this is all just a nice fairy tale to make people feel better about the hardships and sadnesses of life, I want that security and peace for my kids. I know I enjoyed it as a child, and I want my children to feel the same.
Is it wrong of me to raise Catholic kids, even if I don’t believe? Is it wrong of me to want them to have (even a false) sense of security and to experience the idea that there is a God who loves them unconditionally? If they decide, as adults, that it’s hocus pocus - then fine. I just want my kids to go to bed at night feeling safe and loved by not only me, but by God.
I’m conflicted because I don’t feel right about LYING to my kids, but I was raised well and it seems like I should provide my kids with the opportunity to have faith. Plus, I do love the Catholic CULTURE, and I think there is a lot of value in it. I enjoy Mass for the experience and I enjoy all the saint stories and lore and tradition and am fine with participating in it. My kids go to Catholic school and it’s great. I’m just looking for some honest advice here. Thank you.