Reality Check: Liberal handgun ban

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ani_Ibi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Here sir, rape my wife! Steal my property! I won’t hurt you, I promise!”
WHAT - people just don’t do that!!! These cases where people enter your home solely to rape and kill are so incredibly rare. Criminals enter a home to steel usually, that is why deterents work, have a gate, some security lights - when they enter an alarm goes off, the police have been called, if they still end up taking something, then you have insurance. Do you not have property insurance? I personally would rather have a DVD player stolen than have to shoot someone.

Self defence is one, thing, but shooting a person who has entered your home is another. You could be using unreasonable force - what if the entrant does not even have a weapon?

Further more, the accidents that arise from guns are terrible - the so called “criminal” entering your home at a strange hour of the morning could just be your son coming home after a late night out that he failed to tell you about.
The murder rate in the United States is reportedly higher than in England, but according to the DOJ study, “the difference between the two countries has narrowed dramatically over the two years since the ban went into effect.”
The United Nations confirmed these results in 2000 when it reported that the crime rate in England is higher than the crime rates of 16 other industrialized nations, including the United States.
Do you really believe in all seriousness that this is because of guns. It was the significant minority who would have armed themselves with a gun, and I doubt many would nowadays either.
 
Please provide links please – and not about the Irish War. The Irish War has political motivations, not criminal motivations.
The old irish war was political, the new one is merely men with guns thinking that they can make a difference through force. Generally Ireland is peaceful - particularly Connaght, Munster and Leinnster, admittedly Dublin and Limerick have problems but they are cities. Ireland do not permit this casual ownership of guns, in some areas they don’t have access to an armed police force division - do you think these places and Ireland in general would be better off with guns?
Please provide a link to this story.
blink.org.uk/print.asp?key=524
(this is merely one he is a really popular guy - apparently)
I believe you claimed to be Catholic earlier on. Catholic teaching includes legitimate self defence, just war, and the principle of double effect. And oh, yes, I have noticed that you have changed the subject. The topic of the thread is not homosexuality or bad songs. Staying on topic is not cherrypicking. Finally, are you arguing for or against protecting children?
Catholic teaching teaches legitimate self defence, there is nothing legitimate about shooting unarmed burgulars in the back. It is so hard to be just with a gun. Is this teaching dogma? I am for protecting children, just not with guns - that is a sorry excuse to own a gun. I have no doubt that my parents would protect me, yet they do not own a gun - does that mean they would not attempt to protect as much? I doubt that even if we could get guns that my family would want to just so they could “protect their children”.
I really didn’t intend this thread to be a pretext for anti-Americanism. I myself am Canadian. Another poster is Australian. Do you have a problem with the statistics? If so what is the problem – without resorting to nation-centric tactics?
Countries are the perfect examples oof how guns do and do not work effectively.
and where no gun control exists, violent crimes including threats, coercision, and murder occur at dramatically lower rates than where gun control does exist. The pro-gun lobby did not invent violent crime. Are you suggesting that we did?
I am saying that guns are the most brilliant thing that has happened to violent criminals - in allowing guns, it does not make the situation any better, fighting fire with fire is not working.
 
Sir Knight:
Don’t assume that you speak for ALL sides.
I don’t. I was speaking about the original topic, that of the positions of the Canadian political parties.
<image of woman with gun asking if I protect her 24.7>
Yes I do. I pay taxes which pay for the emergency services and the military.

Mike
 
40.png
2shelbys:
Wow Mike, what posts are you reading? The only gun control the vast majority of posters here are interested in is the ability to hit your target.
Unfortunately I had already gathered that.

I was attempting to do as the moderator suggested, and look at the original post. All the political parties in Canada are arguing for greater gun control, they are just differing in their methods.

Mike
 
Sir Knight:
That’s why places like NYC and Washington DC which have strick gun laws also have a high violent crime rate while places like Vermont which have very little gun owner restrictions have a low violent crime rate. :rolleyes:
You are implying a correlation when it is far from obvious that one exists. Crime rates are higher in some places than others in countries without gun ownership too, you know. I suspect the crime rate in NYC and DC would be higher still if they had less strict gun laws.
I would be more than happy to ask my bishop how I am suppose to fulfill the GRAVE responsibility that the CCC says that I have to protect myself and others from harm if I am denied the means by which to do it? If I have a GRAVE duty to do something, then there should be no restrictions on what tools I use to accomplish the task.
Please do ask your bishop, and let us know what he says. The USCCB position seems very clear to me.

Mike
 
40.png
2shelbys:
You could not be more wrong. Police only respond after the fact, they protect no one. It was decided here in court that the Police have no duty or obligation to protect anyone nor could they if they did. The purpose of the military is not to protect your family from criminals.
Police protect no-one? Tell that to the population of Britain, who widely want to see police ‘back on the beat’.
According to the BBC News, handgun crime in the United Kingdom rose by 40% in the two years after it passed its gun ban in 1997.
Which proves very little, in my opinion. Few people had handguns in the first place, so the ban affected few people to start with. The rise in crime could be due to just about anything, though most likely is due to a increase in rival drug gangs - hardly pleasant, but not overly affecting my life unless I decide to take up drug dealing.
In 1998, a study conducted jointly by statisticians from the U.S. Department of Justice and the University of Cambridge in England found that most crime is now worse in England than in the United States.
Crime has fell significantly since 1998 in England. And again, how does this prove that guns would make the situation better?

Other factors are in play here too, such as the specific statistics used for crime reporting. By all accounts, serious crime reporting is up whereas actual crime is down. There have also been changes to the ways numbers of incidents have been reported. Nothing here happens in a vacuum.
The United Nations confirmed these results in 2000 when it reported that the crime rate in England is higher than the crime rates of 16 other industrialized nations, including the United States.
How does that show that gun ownership would make that any better?

Mike
 
Since guns have started to leak back into our society in England, with souces available for people to purchase guns, gun crime has begun to rise. Because when guns are available for protection, they are also available for the criminal.

BBC NEWS | UK | Firearms foes unite on gun crime (Not linked)

This shows the amount gun crime has risen in past years due to the increased availability of guns.
 
40.png
Isidore_AK:
Yeah, this is one of the key reasons I think the USCCB is a bunch of idiots… :mad:
Well, that’s your call, but I’d be careful with it. I’d have to be very sure of my facts indeed before disagreeing so completely with the conclusions reached by a senior group of bishops.

Mike
 
40.png
PhillyMatt:
Self-defense has it’s place in society. But, unfortunatly, criminals aren’t very civil, nor do they go by the laws placed upon them by the very society that they live in.
Nevertheless, we don’t have to be either disproportionate in response to that risk, nor put ourselves or others in danger because of it.
I never said anything about shooting a criminal in the back, that is illegal, I would land in prison for that.
Agreed, but that was an example of going too far. It isn’t right to say there is no right of self-defense in the law.
Police? Police usually show up after the crime has been committed. And I’m sure a robber would wait and let me call the cops while he’s doing harm to my family.
Nope - which is why it is important to minimise the chances that the robber has a gun himself. Strong gun control does just that. Very few robberies in the UK are armed.
Yes, a real man defends himself and his family when neccessary. I’m sure my bishop knows that. Any person willing to sit back and watch while his home is being robbed and family harmed is NOT a man in my book.
As mentioned elsewhere, very few people break into homes to harm people. Most just want the TV and the DVD player. I’d rather they came in unarmed and got them, then for us both to have guns and have some kind of showdown, where neither of us is competent with the gun.
Hasn’t crime actually gone up since britain passed all the anti-gun laws? The criminals actually are handing in their guns? I hear soon that knives will be illegal in Britain…
Crime has gone down, now. I doubt all knifes will be illegal, but carrying one in the street has been against the law for some time, and I think they are about to make that tougher still. Good!

Mike
 
Sir Knight:
Better to have and never need than to need and not have.

That’s why places like NYC and Washington DC which have strick gun laws also have a high violent crime rate while places like Vermont which have very little gun owner restrictions have a low violent crime rate. :rolleyes:
2002 Statisitics

Firearms Deaths per thousand, **Vermont: **10.06
Firearms Deaths per thousand, **New York: **5.19
Firearms Deaths per thousand, **New York City: **4.4 (2001 data)

State info from CDC. NYC info from NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
 
This article from the Times may be helpful:

Rise in gun crime linked to gangs
timesonline.co.uk/article/0,2-1878913,00.html
The increase in gun crime is linked to gang activity and the illegal drugs trade.
But Chris Fox, the president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said: “This year has seen a fall in the number of fatalities from 70 to 60, with the use of shotguns down by 13 per cent and the use of handguns down by 8 per cent.
“The 5 per cent rise in gun crime overall reflects a rise in the use of imitation firearms of 28 per cent.”
Gang activity and the illegal drugs trade might not be fun for the police, but it really doesn’t affect me much.

And the point about imitation firearms just shows how one needs to be careful of statistics.

Mike
 
40.png
Zerith:
Very few civilians have weapons, very few petty/average criminals have weapons. You may buy a hunting licence, though, and use a rifle, but that is rare, and confined mostly to farmers (Which, a few years back, a farmer did shoot, and kill someone; he was not heavily prosecuted, due to the fact he was being intimidated by the member of the travelling community - It is illegal to fight an intruder in Ireland, and Britain)
Yes we were/are to use minimum force, but that law is under review up here in the north at least.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4383970.stm

I find it disgusting that a homeowner could be prosecuted for hurting the criminal, how sad and what is wrong with people ?

The farmer and I remember the story was within his rights to defend himself, minimum force, :rolleyes: do they criminals use minimum force ? ummmmm no !

Even as a child in religious instruction we were told that we could take someone elses life if our’s was under threat.

CCC2265 Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others. The defense of the common good requires that an unjust aggressor be rendered unable to cause harm. For this reason, those who legitimately hold authority also have the right to use arms to repel aggressors against the civil community entrusted to their responsibility.

CCC2264 **Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one’s own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow:
If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful. . . . Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one’s own life than of another’s. **
 
40.png
Eireann:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4383970.stm

I find it disgusting that a homeowner could be prosecuted for hurting the criminal, how sad and what is wrong with people ?
:confused: The only case mentioned in that report is the Tony Martin case. I happen to think it unacceptable to shoot an unarmed man in the back with an illegally owned gun, even if that man is a burglar.

Even the MP trying (and failing) to introduce the law agrees with that!
"We must allow people to use force which is proportionate to the threat that they face.
"Obviously something which is grossly disproportionate, as clearly the Tony Martin case was, would still be illegal.
Mike
 
MikeWM said:
:confused: The only case mentioned in that report is the Tony Martin case. I happen to think it unacceptable to shoot an unarmed man in the back with an illegally owned gun, even if that man is a burglar.

Even the MP trying (and failing) to introduce the law agrees with that!

Mike

For you maybe, but what if the same person had just strangled you child in it’s bed before he left, would you shoot then ?

I know he didn’t, we are placing the blame on the innocent person and not placing blame where it should be on the criminal.

Do you know if a criminal hurts himself in your house while robbing you, he can bring you to court ?
How sad and how sick, anyway like I posted the CCC says you can defend yourself.

There may have been excessive force in this case, It’s not for me to say, how do we know what way we’d react to this, I hope I never find out, apart from someone trying to rob me with a knife in Dec: 1999, while walking home.
He got no money off me, I grappled him and he must have dropped his knife in the struggle.
He was wearing a bala-clava, I had money on me but he didn’t get it, but it wasn’t a nice experience.

We are sending out a softly softly message to criminals, “rob all you like the law will protect you”.

Anyway I’m not talking about that particular case only, I’m talking about the law protecting the criminals, instead of protecting the victims.

Whoever shot that police woman in England a few weks ago showed not the slightest bit of mercy towards her, let us put blame where it should be, with the criminal, and let us not turn criminals into victims.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4450596.stm
 
40.png
Eireann:
Do you know if a criminal hurts himself in your house while robbing you, he can bring you to court ?
There is ‘assumption of risk’ in the law. You are not responsible, unless, again, you set up specifically nasty booby traps for example.
There may have been excessive force in this case, It’s not for me to say, how do we know what way we’d react to this,
Ah, exactly! Which is why guns are a bad idea.
I hope I never find out, apart from someone trying to rob me with a knife in Dec: 1999, while walking home.
I was mugged a few months later, which I have narrated elsewhere.
We are sending out a softly softly message to criminals, “rob all you like the law will protect you”.
I don’t see where we are sending that message. We’re (regrettably) sending more people to prison than ever, for example.
Whoever shot that police woman in England a few weks ago showed not the slightest bit of mercy towards her, let us put blame where it should be, with the criminal, and let us not turn criminals into victims.
I agree - and I think you’ll find the justice system doing so too. The person who did that will be going to jail for a very long time.

Mike
 
40.png
MikeWM:
Rather more key, I think some people should re-familiarise themselves with the USCCB’s position on this issue:

usccb.org/sdwp/criminal.htm

Mike
… And maybe the USCCB should bring their position into alignment with the official position of the rest of the Catholic church which was place on international public record at the UN’s 2002 Conference on Small Arms where a representative from the Vatican OFFICIALLY representing the Holy See stated that the OFFICIAL position of the Catholic Church is in SUPPORT of the PRIVATE ownership of firearms.
40.png
MikeWM:
Self defence is one, thing, but shooting a person who has entered your home is another
A person who has entered my home ILLEGALLY is already a criminal. I do not have mind-reading powers to know if he is there to rob or to rape & kill.
40.png
MikeWM:
what if the entrant does not even have a weapon?
What if he isn’t? Am I suppose to gamble with my life and the life of my family that a criminal will not want to hurt us?
40.png
MikeWM:
Further more, the accidents that arise from guns are terrible - the so called “criminal” entering your home at a strange hour of the morning could just be your son coming home after a late night out that he failed to tell you about.
That’s why you don’t shoot at shadows. You first IDENTIFY your target before you pull the trigger.
40.png
MikeWM:
There is ‘assumption of risk’ in the law. You are not responsible, unless, again, you set up specifically nasty booby traps for example.
Wrong. Criminals have injuried themselves by accidents without any booby traps and have sued the home owner and won.
40.png
MikeWM:
I was mugged a few months later, which I have narrated elsewhere.
I was also mugged. The police officer investigating the case told me that I should have shot the mugger. When I told him that I didn’t own one, he told me that was my mistake right there. Ever since then, I’ve been following his advise.
40.png
MikeWM:
<image of woman with gun asking if I protect her 24.7>
Yes I do. I pay taxes which pay for the emergency services and the military.

Mike
The US Supreme Court has ruled that the police have NO OBLIGATION to provide protection to private citizens – their role is to protect society, not individuals. So your tax dollars is not ensured to provide ANYONE with protection.

Care to answer that question again?
40.png
MikeWM:
You are implying a correlation when it is far from obvious that one exists. Crime rates are higher in some places than others in countries without gun ownership too, you know. I suspect the crime rate in NYC and DC would be higher still if they had less strict gun laws.
Then please explain why violent crime rates have decresed in every single state that has allowed private citizens to carry firearms?
40.png
MikeWM:
Please do ask your bishop, and let us know what he says. The USCCB position seems very clear to me.
Yeah and maybe he can also explain why their position is not consistent with the OFFICIAL church position on this subject because (as I already mentioned) at the UN’s 2002 Conference on Small Arms where a representative from the Vatican OFFICIALLY representing the Holy See stated that the OFFICIAL position of the Catholic Church is in SUPPORT of the PRIVATE ownership of firearms.
 
Philip P said:
2002 Statisitics

Firearms Deaths per thousand, Vermont: 10.06
Firearms Deaths per thousand, New York: 5.19
Firearms Deaths per thousand, New York City: 4.4 (2001 data)

State info from CDC. NYC info from NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

Reference link please because I doubt these figures. A death from a gun in VT is big news and rarely happens – certainly the rate you cited is outrageous – last year VT only had two hunting accidents and only one was fatal!

f gun control worked, Baltimore would be the safest city in America but according the FBI, Baltimore is the Most Violent of the 25 largest US cities (www.FBI.gov, 12/2003).
 
40.png
MikeWM:
Police protect no-one? Tell that to the population of Britain, who widely want to see police ‘back on the beat’.
We have plenty of beat cops too but unless their beat is at your front and back door they can not protect you.
Which proves very little, in my opinion. Few people had handguns in the first place, so the ban affected few people to start with.
So, you now admit that bans are useless and have no effect?
The rise in crime could be due to just about anything, though most likely is due to a increase in rival drug gangs - hardly pleasant, but not overly affecting my life unless I decide to take up drug dealing.
But you are not the only one in the country. It does affect others greatly.
Other factors are in play here too, such as the specific statistics used for crime reporting. By all accounts, serious crime reporting is up whereas actual crime is down. There have also been changes to the ways numbers of incidents have been reported.
Actually you are partly right and partly wrong. British crime is notoriously under-reported to make the country look safer and convince people that their efforts are working. The British media has remained quite critical of authorities for “fiddling” with crime data. Consider some of the headlines:

“Crime figures a sham, say police,”-Ian Henry, The Electronic Telegraph (April 1, 2002).

“Police are accused of fiddling crime data,” -Tim Reid, The Electronic Telegraph (May 4, 2003).

“Police figures under-record offences by 20 percent.” John Steele, The Electronic Telegraph (July 13, 2000).

British police have also criticized the system because of the “widespread manipulation” of crime data:

“Officers said that pressure to convince the public that police were winning the fight against crime had resulted in a long list of ruses to ‘massage’ statistics.”-The Electronic Telegraph (April 1, 2002).

Sgt. Mike Bennett says officers have become increasingly frustrated with the practice of manipulating statistics. “The crime figures are meaningless,” he said. “Police everywhere know exactly what is going on.”

According to The BBC, “Officers said the lower recorded level of crime bore no resemblance to the actual amount of crime being committed.”

One former Scotland Yard officer told The Telegraph of a series of
tricks that rendered crime figures ‘a complete sham.’ A classic example, he said, was where a series of homes in a block flats were burgled and were regularly recorded as one crime.

British crime reporting tactics keep murder rates artificially low too. "Suppose that three men kill a woman during an argument outside a bar. They are arrested for murder, but because of problems with identification (the main witness is dead), charges are eventually dropped. In American crime statistics, the event counts as a three-person homicide, but in British statistics it counts as nothing at all.
How does that show that gun ownership would make that any better?
Because Gun control has a near perfect record of making crime worse and enactment of right-to-carry laws does have a perfect record of causing crime to decrease greatly.
 
Philip P said:
2002 Statisitics

Firearms Deaths per thousand, **Vermont: **10.06
Firearms Deaths per thousand, **New York: **5.19
Firearms Deaths per thousand, **New York City: **4.4 (2001 data)

State info from CDC. NYC info from NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

You can disregard the numbers from the CDC. They are anti-gun activists who have been exposed as minipulating data several times in the past. They also made a laughable attempt at getting guns banned through their own authority as a “public health” issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top