Reconciling Humani Generis with the human genetic data showing that there never were just two first parents

• Thread starter Thread starter Allyson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why we are being vigilant, so people do not fall prey to your mistakes and errors in judgment. You make comments based on your human knowledge about people’s motives and their lack of commitment to the Church. It would be a shame if anyone looked at this discussion and thought rash judgments and condemnations exhausted Church teaching.

Evolution includes natural selection and natural selection is not a random process
Natural selection refers to selection by death. Natural things include sin, disease and death. The only type of selection that happens with natural selection is that some creatures die off earlier than others. There is nothing creative about it.
So you have no calculations to back up your personal opinion. That renders it scientifically invalid
As stated earlier, science and mathematics needs an expression for impossible (if they don’t have one already). Division by 0 is one way to express an impossible situation.

Random mutations are also not a creative process. Consider, human life depends upon coordinated systems. How could random mutations design and manufacture the human heart with its four coordinated chambers? How could random mutations design and manufacture the digestive system where teeth, tongue, saliva, esophagus, stomach, large intestines, small intestines, liver, kidneys, pancreas, rectum and more coordinate to do the work of digestion? How could random mutations coordinate the creation of male and female differentiation to enable the reproductive system to reproduce? Where is that number for impossible?

Now Jesus did say this: With God, all things are possible.

A corollary would be: Without God, all things are impossible and wouldn’t exist.

I have posted clear Church teaching which is not my opinion. Some people want to ignore it. It can’t be ignored.

I have posted clear Church teaching which is not my opinion. Some people want to ignore it. It can’t be ignored.
Time to ignore them so as to give them a break 🙂

Realize … Any inability to cease involving - connects with a form of adrenaline addiction…

It’s like the gambler who actually can not stop -

Whether Winning of Losing - Get’s a brief “rush” of Adrenaline - which falls off swiftly and naturally wants more - on the sub-conscious level; of course.

Later 😃

As have I. I often ignore your statements because they seem irrelevant and unfocused. What can you do?

lololol, says the person who chose to join the discussion in the first place. You could have just read the beginning of the thread and moved on, but you decided to join in. Nothing wrong with that; just do not whine when some people are not as fideistic as you are.

Last edited:
You do not make mistakes?

You have grossly mischaracterized HG imo. I agree with your repeated assertions that HG still stands, I am just sorry you do not realize you are the one who has tried to tear it down.

So, like you, I am committed to vigilance in defense of Church teaching.

The development is like a growing bush. Our understanding gets fuller, but no branches get cut off.
That seems like a fair picture, but how would you put that in precise theological terms? I am not suggesting branches are cut off in the old thread. I actually say that no new branches appears if I put it in terms of your analogy.

"Some however, rashly transgress this liberty of discussion, when they act as if the origin of the human body from pre-existing and living matter were already completely certain and proved by the facts which have been discovered up to now and by reasoning on those facts, and as if there were nothing in the sources of divine revelation which demands the greatest moderation and caution in this question.”
This was sensible then, and is sensible now. The Church, both in its widest sense of being the people who make it up, and in the sense of its central authority, should never commit itself to anything which is not “completely certain and proved by the facts”. On the other hand, it would also be wise not to deny things which are not “completely certain and proved by the facts” in case these things eventually turn out to be true. Insofar as the philosophical idea that man is qualitatively different from other living things depends on the scientific ‘fact’ of man having only descended from two, and only two, individuals, it was in danger of tumbling in 1950 (which was why Pope Pius tried to defend an uncertain scientific proposition), and could have collapsed altogether by now had not the philosophical idea been disassociated from the science. The philosophy can still be an eternal truth. Its scientific origin is disputable.
Natural selection refers to selection by death. Natural things include sin, disease and death. The only type of selection that happens with natural selection is that some creatures die off earlier than others. There is nothing creative about it.
I think you’re wrong to be quite so negative about death. Life should not be thought of a thin veneer of success coating a gigantic pile of corpses stretching back into the distant past. Life is not a “now” event, it is a continuous recycling of organic material, gradually expanding in material and organisation, from a simple beginning towards a huge coherence and connectivity of which we have only achieved a fraction at the moment. “There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.”
Random mutations are also not a creative process. Consider, human life depends upon coordinated systems. How […]? How […]? How […]? Where […]?
There is a style of argument in which a proposition is defended by a series of questions. It is not a logical argument. Ignorance is not a defence of a proposition. Random mutations are most certainly a creative process, probably the most genuinely creative process on the planet. All the rest is reshuffling.

Humani Generis does not allow for any other humans at all.
Humani Generis talks specifically about “true humans”. I take that to mean “a human body with a human soul”. The scientific evidence shown that there must have been a lot more than two human bodies. There is no scientific evidence as to the number of human souls.

Obviously, a human soul is not required for life in general. Kangaroos and chimps are alive, but do not have human souls.

Hence unsouled human bodies are possible, and their existence is shown by the scientific evidence of the level of variation in human DNA.

There is no scientific problem with a specific pair of souled humans – HG’s “true humans” – being ancestral to all living humans. There are many possible such pairs.

There is no scientific problem with a specific pair of souled humans – HG’s “true humans” – being ancestral to all living humans. There are many possible such pairs.
Ed will only consider two.

“science” is an effort - sometimes correct and sometimes incorrect - of and by Man…

God is to Man as The Potter is to a pot.

What God says - is our bottom line

_

ife is not a “now” event, it is a continuous recycling of organic material, gradually expanding in material and organisation, from a simple beginning towards a huge coherence and connectivity of which we have only achieved a fraction at the moment.
That’s your doctrine and dogma. The assertions about “coherence and connectivity” sound a little pantheistic to me.
"endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.”
Do you include the coronavirus in that?
random mutations are most certainly a creative process, probably the most genuinely creative process on the planet.
The human body has been found to contain approximately a dozen interdependent systems. Its marvels exceed those of any product of human engineering. It’s not possible that this could exist without a cause. Existence requires a cause. The marvelous design and order of interdependent systems in human anatomy also need a cause.

No. I doubt if he knew enough about them. John Paul II did though, as I have mentioned above.
Are you saying that Pius XII did know enough about the metaphysical first principles? Please re-post replacing the pronouns “he” and “them” with their proper referents to avoid confusion.

Existence requires a cause. The marvelous design and order of interdependent systems in human anatomy also need a cause.
Yes.

The evolutionist presumes the (per)mutations preceding the development of a creature suitable for God’s infusion of a rational soul are random but offers no evidence in support. Therefore, we may just as easily dismiss the assertion of randomness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back