S
seagal
Guest
The answer was; "And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Eli’jah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
I disagree. The answer doesn’t necessarily prove they believed in re-incarnation. They probably believed that Elijah or Jeremiah had returned from the dead, not that they had been reborn in another body. Those are entirely different scenarios.But this response does not in any way contradict the concept of reincarnation.
The context clearly shows the jews of the time believed in reincarnation.
Jesus’ response implies only that certain beliefs about his prior physical identity were either incorrect or irrelevant.
Jesus says absolutely nothing to contradict the then held jewish belief that “Eli’jah, and others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets” might be reborn in another physical body.