M
Mystical_Seeker
Guest
Yes, it’s all about trying to please God and be meaningful, based on our worldly accomplishments. Not about who we are and what Jesus has done. And certainly not “accepting” what does happen in our lives – something westerners don’t like to do and that’s why his book is well received. It gives westerners more of what they already crave and even define themselves by – worldly success.
About the various “gifts” I’d just call them “situations” or “environmental factors.”
I understand how poverty can be a “gift” because when I lost my career due to disability, I learned a great deal.
But the problem is that we keep saying “well if you’re right inside you’ll do lots of stuff for the Church outside.” We call it “stewardship,” but the problem is we look at the gifts as evidence when really they aren’t, as anybody who’s going to a wedding with 1 Cor 13 as a reading, knows. Good works are great, and they demonstrate faith, but they are not substitutes or even reliable indicators of love.
About the various “gifts” I’d just call them “situations” or “environmental factors.”
I understand how poverty can be a “gift” because when I lost my career due to disability, I learned a great deal.
But the problem is that we keep saying “well if you’re right inside you’ll do lots of stuff for the Church outside.” We call it “stewardship,” but the problem is we look at the gifts as evidence when really they aren’t, as anybody who’s going to a wedding with 1 Cor 13 as a reading, knows. Good works are great, and they demonstrate faith, but they are not substitutes or even reliable indicators of love.