Rosary Makers?

• Thread starter Thread starter RosaryArmy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RosaryArmy

I was curious as to how many Rosary makers are on these boards. What kind do you make? Are there other Rosary making websites you visit regularly?

I have just started making rosaries. I have made a couple of bracelets, so far. I am getting the supplies together to make the St Theresa mission rosaries for the troops overseas. So far I use Lewis and Company. What websites do you visit for this?

There aren’t a lot of sites that deal with the all-twine knotted kind (which is one of the reasons we started Rosary Army a while back), but FNT (where we get our twine) has a growing website with different info about knotted Rosaries. I also visit a Yahoo Rosary Makers group on occassion.

We already have over 1,600 Rosaries to give away at the Eucharistic Congress in Atlanta on June 12. That’s twice as many as we had for last year’s Congress.

I also have been making rosaries using Lewis and Company. They give you free instructions on how to make beautiful gold, silver or base metal rosaries. They also give out a free Catalog.

**How wonderful to find that others are enjoying making, praying and giving away twine rosaries !

I am cottonag’s wife ( Cathy ) and my mother taught me how to
make and dye the twine rosaries. ( My rosary crosses are knotted as well. )

I love making them and giving them away. I make them for our parish RCIA class and for our parish office. They disappear
quickly… which is absolutely wonderful !

I use white Catahoula #36 Twine from Academy and manually dye batches ( 15 rosaries ) at a time . Different colors for different times of the year … currrently in honor of our Lady - royal blue.

For variety I dye a deep wine for Christmas and deep purple for
the Easter Season.

Gives me great joy to share … just call me another member of the rosary army ! Love it. ** 👍

I started making twine knotted rosaries about 18 months ago, have gotten lazy, haven’t made any in a while, now I am inspired to start again! Made quite a few for our Diocese mission in Dominican Republic. I also use knotted crosses. My husband made me a little tool to help in the knotting process, it goes much faster. It’s a hollow piece of plastic about the size of a pencil and has a cut in it so I can wrap my ‘knot’ around it, slip the end through the cut and then pull off the knot on the twine. Works great!

I have been making rosaries for a few years now and have used a number of different sources. Both Lewis & Co. and Rosary Shop are good places for supplies.

However, I would like to ask anyone out there if they know of a good place to get nice wood beads in the larger sizes - over 10mm. I am currently trying to make habit rosaries for my novice class but am having difficulty finding decent supplies. Any suggestions?

:confused:

Br. Mike

In local hobby and craft shops I have seen bags of 100 large wooden beads being sold for about $3.00 so you might check out those shops in your area.

If you can’t find a good source you might consider making your own. With some dowels and a simple wood lathe, thousands of beads could be made per hour. This could turn into a nice business for someone.

"Our Lady’s Rosary Makers, P. O. Box 37080, Louisville, KY 40233, is where we get our rosary supplies. We make the cord kind with plastic beads. They are cheap and are priced to be given away. There is a tremendous demand for them. We have probably made 3 thousand in the last 3 years and they have literally be sent all over the world. It has been a lot of fun, too.🙂

I used to belong to a group of girls when I was in 5th grade (led by my wonderful mother) where we made rosaries with the wire and beads. It was lots of fun, but I’m thinking of trying the corded versions. We also used Our Lady’s Rosary Makers as our supplier. I used to love reading their catalog, picking out my favorite colors and then making the rosary myself.

I can’t wait to get started again, and teach my children as well! Thanks for the posting Army!

I’m a rosary-maker 😃 We started a rosary-making guild here about 2 years ago and have sent rosaries all over the world. Here’s our website: home.catholicweb.com/shjrosary
We make mostly cord & bead mission rosaries, but a few of us also make chain rosaries which we sell to raise money for our mission work.

We use Our Lady’s Rosary Makers for most of our mission supplies olrm.win.net/, but I have had great success with Lewis & Co. as well.

There are also a few email lists at Yahoo Groups for rosary makers: Rosary Makers, Rosary Artisans, and Rosary Links come to mind. (The latter doesn’t really get a lot of email, but contains numerous links to suppliers, etc.) You may want to check these out.

God bless all of you in your devotion to our Blessed Mother!

Wow this is so great. I was just telling my husband how much fun I thought it would be to make rosaries. He ordered me a catolog, but I am not sure from where. We thought they would make good gifts for family and the kids could help too. I was thinking of doing some in birthcolor stones of my children. Thanks for all the links.

I belong to a rosary making group that makes rosaries for the missions and for first communions. Most of the members make cord rosaries which are the ones we give away. A few of us make chain rosaries which are sold at a small profit to generate funds to get supplies for the mission rosaries. All together our group, Holy Family Rosary Makers has made nearly 150,000 rosaries.

We get most of our supplies from Our Ladies Rosary Makers but I also use a couple other suppliers for the saleable rosaries and for rosaries I make as gifts. Here are a few websites.

http://www.rosaryparts.com/

http://www.rosary.com/

http://www.olrm.com/

You can get really good instructions when you buy beginner kits for either cord or chain rosaries. Also, individuals can join Our Ladies Rosary Makers for only $2 then purchase materials at below cost (on condition they are to be given to missions). An experienced rosary maker can make 10 cord rosaries in 1 to 2 hours, or one chain rosary using wire in 1 hour or under half hour if using eye pins.

I enjoy praying while making the rosaries at home and we open our weekly meetings with prayer before getting down to the joyful work of making rosaries. Demand for our rosaries is great and we cannot keep up - kind of a happy problem, eh? We recently were asked if we could supply 10,000 rosaries per month, but our little group of about 40 rosary makers cannot come close to that. Imagine, a rosary made by your hands becoming the most cherished posession of someone in India, or Africa, or prison, etc. It is very rewarding work! I recommend it.

I belong to a group, Friends of Mary Rosary Guild. Like Callie, above, we mostly make the cord with plastic bead Rosaries to send to world-wide missions. If you are interested, here is a link to our site:hometown.aol.com/bmoyes/index.html. We also buy very inexpensive plastic Rosaries for the local jail, since everything we tried to make was deemed too strong (dangerous) and would not pass security. We have had some beautiful experiences in receiving donations of money for these!

We too use Our Lady’s Rosary Makers for supplies, although recently we have been concentrating on some all cord Rosaries and are using cording from FNT also. When we want to make some nicer wire Rosaries for gifts, etc. we usually buy the Crucifix and centers from OLRM, but then get beads fromfiremountaingems.com. They have a huge selection, and their prices are great.

For those of you who are in this ministry, do you oftentimes find Our Lady guiding your actions and decisions in this? We usually rely on the newletter from OLRM to tell us where the Rosaries are meant to go, but often, just at the moment when we think we’re getting enough Rosaries for a package, a request comes from out of the blue!

In case some of you don’t know it, I’d like to share with you the prayer we use to open our twice monthly meetings, from OLRM:

THE ROSARY MAKER’S PRAYER
Dearest Mother, to you we pray, bless the Rosaries we make today. With loving hands we add each bead, then with trust in you we further plead. Bless the ones who in foreign lands, reach for them with outstretched hands; and pray like we, that God hear our call, for a WORLD UNITED and PEACE for ALL!

I’m not a rosary maker, though i plan on making one for myself maybe to pass on as an heirloom one day. I tried a cord one with knots but i couldn’t tie them right and it never turned out.

Anyway, I’ve been looking at this is, rosaryshop.com and it looks pretty decent, you shoudl give it a look!!!

Has anyone tried making rosaries using Job’s Tears? Those are beads that are actually from a plant…bunches of little “seeds” that come with a hole already present. I’ve never tried it, but I was wondering if anybody had and if the beads are relatively uniform, etc. I usually order from Lewis and Company. I love it that they will engrave the crucifix for you…the engraving is top quality, as are all their products. They give great customer service. God bless all you rosary makers!!!

Mary

I’VE BUILT A DEVOTIONAL SHRINE TO HONOR MARY. iT’S RIGHT SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUSY SMALL TOWN SQUARE. IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO DONATE ROSARIES THAT I COULD SELL(INEXPENSIVELY) TO HELP WITH SHRINE IMPROVEMENT COSTS AND TO GIVE AWAY, OF COURSE. I OWN A COMMERCIAL BUILDING IN WILLOUGHBY, OH. IT’S NEXT TO THE BUSINESS THAT MY WIFE AND I OWN (HAIR SALON) MARY IS INSPIRING ME TO OPEN THIS UP AS A SHRINE AND A PLACE WHERE RELIGIOUS RETREATS AND GATHERINGS CAN BE HELD. EVENTUALLY IT WILL HOUSE A CATHOLIC COFFEE SHOP(I’M WORKING ON NOW, FEATURE LOCAL ARTISTS (RELIGIOUS) AND MAYBE A SMALL GIFT SHOP) 2800 SQ FT OF POSSIBILITIES. Many are getting behind this project. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, JESUS IS DOING IT ALL. IT’S ONLY FOR EVANGELIZATION AND TO FOSTER MORE PRAYER. I HAVE A STRONG DEVOTION TO OUR LADY. I WAS A FALLEN AWAY CATHOLIC FOR 27 YEARS AND GOT ZAPPED BIG TIME.

MY E MAIL IS georgegogeo@aol.com

Looking for financial help for minor renovation and need all your prayers. God Bless, George

40.png
Maresiedotes:
Has anyone tried making rosaries using Job’s Tears? Those are beads that are actually from a plant…bunches of little “seeds” that come with a hole already present. I’ve never tried it, but I was wondering if anybody had and if the beads are relatively uniform, etc.

Mary
I’ve made one! It came out really nice, and the beads are quite lovely. I bought them from a rosary-maker in LA who grows them. I think she’s sold out right now, but will have a new harvest in the fall. I also bought some seed, but I have a notorious brown thumb :(. I’m going to try to upload a photo of the rosary I made; otherwise, a photo can be found on my website: home.catholicweb.com/SHJRosary/index.cfm/NewsItem?ID=66868&From=Home It’s the second one in the first row.

Link for picture below, I think?

http://home.catholicweb.com/SHJRosa...eID=19726&SlideShowID=1320&ID=66868&From=Home

Rosary makersare a special lot. No longer in need of finance help but would love to recieve some unique rosaries for the shrine. keep up the good work

God Bless
george

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back