Rosary Makers?

• Thread starter Thread starter RosaryArmy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I make and teach how to make Rosarys. I use Our Ladys Rosary Makers for my source for parts. I have found them to be the best source and the cheapest source with the BEST quality. They are very nice to work with and they are very pleasant too. I have been making rosarys for 10 years and found none to compare to them. They will also give you addresses for people who are needing rosarys. God Bless all of you who make rosarys for the missions. They are in desperate need of them. Yours in Christ
Dee 👍

george eastlake:
Rosary makersare a special lot. No longer in need of finance help but would love to recieve some unique rosaries for the shrine. keep up the good work

God Bless
george
George,

The mission rosaries we make cannot be resold - it’s part of our agreement with OLRM when purchasing materials. However, you can find great discounted rosaries at AutomCatholic Online: automonline.com/start.jsp?Title=catholic&promotion=RWEBFY04 I’ve had great experience with this company. If you get on their mailing list, they have “Market Mondays” in which some items are sold at an even greater discount. hth!

Callie said:
"Our Lady’s Rosary Makers, P. O. Box 37080, Louisville, KY 40233, is where we get our rosary supplies. We make the cord kind with plastic beads. They are cheap and are priced to be given away. There is a tremendous demand for them. We have probably made 3 thousand in the last 3 years and they have literally be sent all over the world. It has been a lot of fun, too.🙂

I’m looking at having my religion class make Rosaries from this company in the fall. Can you tell me how 13 year olds would do on a project like this (I’d basically like them to each make one in 50-70 minutes.

Also, can you use needle nose pliers to make them?

(What a timely topic! I was just working on a lesson plan to make Rosaries yesterday afternoon!)

Charles: a needle nosed pliers would probably not do the job because it’s still too big. I got my pliers from Our Lady’s Rosary Makers and and I’m very happy with them. Prior to that I was using an introductory kit from Lewis & Company. Lewis & C. have very nice beads, crosses and centers. However, I switched from using their “eye pins” to wire from OLRM because, although the eye pins were easy to use, they were not very strong.

My favorite source of supplies is Rome. My wife and I were there a couple of years ago and there are a lot of religious supply stores on the side streets near the Vatican where they had a lot centers and crosses you don’t necessarily find here.

George Eastlake:

I love your idea of a Catholic coffee-shop/book & gift store/ religious art gallery. (I’m thinking, if I had my choice, where would I like to hang out and have a cup of coffee?)

I had a similar idea a few years ago but for me it was just a dream. For me it didn’t seem like something I could realistically do, at least at this point. I’m really glad to hear you’re doing it, though, and I’d love to hear how it progresses. Way to go!

40.png
Charles:
I’m looking at having my religion class make Rosaries from this company in the fall. Can you tell me how 13 year olds would do on a project like this (I’d basically like them to each make one in 50-70 minutes.

(What a timely topic! I was just working on a lesson plan to make Rosaries yesterday afternoon!)
Actually, it might be easier to make the cord & bead rosaries from OLRM. All you need is cord, beads, crucifix and the special rosary tool to make the knots. OLRM has all these supplies very inexpensively. It would cost you less than 50 cents per rosary, counting the cost of the cord tool.

Wire rosaries are a lot more complicated - but not impossible! - and do require special pliers. ORLM has the best price on rosary pliers, about $15 each. I’ve searched craft stores and bead stores and even other rosary suppliers, but these are the best pliers at the best price. The cheaper ones just don’t seem to work well, or they are not designed for rosaries.

hth!

BTW-my 13yo dd makes rosaries with me all the time 😃 and my 5 & 6yo boys can do them, too, but need help with the knots.

I started making rosaries when a friend taught me how. I wasn’t that interested at the time, she was visiting me and making them as we chatted. She asked me if I would like to try and make one. I got hooked. I showed my one measly attempt to Father and he said: “What a great idea you just gave me. I used to make them when I was in the seminary. Can you teach some others how so we can give away a rosary to everyone in the parish at Christmas?”

O" Boy! I was really and truly into it then. I had 2 months to create a Rosary maker army that could produce 1000 plus Rosaries. We made it and our Rosary Sunday was wonderful.

I am now teaching myself how to make rosaries from real rose petals. Wish me luck. I have the roses and am trying to work up my courage to begin the process. Takes quite awhile but I am going to try.

I joined Our Ladys Rosary makers and make them for the missions. They subsidise the cost so it only costs about 15 cents to make a rosary.

40.png
JohnnyQ:
My favorite source of supplies is Rome. My wife and I were there a couple of years ago and there are a lot of religious supply stores on the side streets near the Vatican where they had a lot centers and crosses you don’t necessarily find here.
Going to Rome is one of the things on my life list. Thanks for another idea to do while I’m there! 👍

h(name removed by moderator)2four:
Actually, it might be easier to make the cord & bead rosaries from OLRM. All you need is cord, beads, crucifix and the special rosary tool to make the knots. OLRM has all these supplies very inexpensively. It would cost you less than 50 cents per rosary, counting the cost of the cord tool.

Wire rosaries are a lot more complicated - but not impossible! - and do require special pliers. ORLM has the best price on rosary pliers, about $15 each. I’ve searched craft stores and bead stores and even other rosary suppliers, but these are the best pliers at the best price. The cheaper ones just don’t seem to work well, or they are not designed for rosaries.
I may go with the cord & bead Rosaries. I’ll have about 17 students doing them and I can’t subsidize the cost of a set of pliers for every two students (too few pliers means too many students with time on their hands while waiting). Are the beads wooden? I think wooden beads would go well with the cords.

Thanks everyone!

Charles,

If you taught them how to make the all-twine kind, you could get a spool of twine for about $8.00, which makes 25-30 all-twine knotted Rosaries. You can also get nice and rather inexpensive (though not as inexpensive as OLRM) Crucifixes from Autom catalog.

There are instructions for making these, including an online video, at our Rosary Army website.

Good luck!

george eastlake:
would love to recieve some unique rosaries for the shrine.
Hi George, as mentioned above, the mission Rosaries can’t be sold, but if you’d like to have some to give away, our group would be happy to supply you with some. Let me know where to ship if you want some.

BrendaM.

40.png
Charles:
I may go with the cord & bead Rosaries. I’ll have about 17 students doing them and I can’t subsidize the cost of a set of pliers for every two students (too few pliers means too many students with time on their hands while waiting). Are the beads wooden? I think wooden beads would go well with the cords.

Thanks everyone!
The beads are plastic. The Cord Beginner’s Kit (for individuals) has enough supplies for 50 rosaries, but only one cord tool. I’ve never ordered the kit for schools, so I’m not exactly sure what it contains; hopefully more cord tools! You can see a sample of the cord & bead rosaries at our website here: home.catholicweb.com/SHJRosary/index.cfm/NewsItem?SlideID=10574&SlideShowID=1319&id=66811&From=News

We do use wood beads on occasion, but not usually for mission rosaries. These we get from our rosary suppliers or from local craft stores.

hth!

Whoah!!! I just found out that there’s a Java based thing at rosaryshop.com that allows you to select the type of Rosary you want to make and see how it’ll look with all the various parts before you buy them. Oooooo. LOL

selling the Rosaries isnt a big deal to me. I can always do that at some other time and get them from the place mentioned here or others that sell them. I belong to a group that prays for priests and was introduced to the rosary “give-em away” idea through them. They make the standard blue plastic ones and I actuallystill have the one that one of the guys in the group gave me four years ago. I came back to the church after 27 years gone. I would obviously accept with much thanks any rosaries you send. This coffe shop/shrine/gift shop/ministry prayer place (is that enough things?) idea is starting to draw a lot of attention from the “orthodox” Catholics in the area. It still is just an idea but it seems God is at work. Please pray for this evangelization tool. Shout it from the roof tops!! Please send any rosaries to 14 public square, Willoughby, Ohio 44094 p.s. the shrine is 90% complete (outdoor) if anyonr out there wants to come and visit/pray say hello or whatever please do! the shrine addressis the same asthe one I gave above.
Peace , love always and may God bless you all

Geoge Callahan

40.png
Charles:

Dear Charles, for beginner 13-year-old rosary makers I would recommend making cord rosaries the first time. The tools and supplies are much less expensive than those needed for chain and wire rosaries and the process is simpler and less time-consuming. You can buy the cord tools from Our Lady’s Rosary Makers for about 35 cents each as opposed to $10-20 each for the rosary pliers. Also, if you commit to sending the rosaries to a mission, you can get materials very cheep - just pennies per rosary for the cord type. I wish you well. Perhaps a few of the students will take to it and decide to take up rosary making and praying.
Peace,
Jean Marie

Hi Maresicdotes;
I obtained the Job's tears seeds and grew them twice. The real problem for me is the weather in CT is not hot or warm year round. These plants are usually grown in the South because of that. The seeds did grow into plants for me and I did harvest the Job's Tears seeds but not in great numbers or colors. This is because of the weather here. If grown in a hothouse in controlled temps manbe it would do well here in the North. I just stick to making the cord rosarys with plastic beeds. I'm interested in trying the knotting ones that were mentioned here.

My Lay Carmelite Community makes rosarys as part of our apostolate. We make the very inexpensive kind with the plastic beads, crucifix and cord. It is a good way to occupy your hands while other wise wasting time watching television. I had given up watching commercial tv but my children were upset. Now I watch with them and like to do something productive at the same time. Making rosarys is good too, because I can talk to them about the message of the show which I often find disturbing. :eek:

Peace be with you!

It is so great to see so many rosary makers out there! I have made rosaries for 3 years and took about 300 up to world youth day to pass out with the Milita of the Immaculata group. That was great! I had my 7&8 grade CCD class do the cord rosary while watching a St. Pio documentry and they all love the rosary they made, wich I encouraged to give to someone who could use one. I even got our parish to put a display in the back of the church, but some kids broke in and stole most of them about two months ago! Its saddens us to think of someone who steals from a church.😦 I haven’t made many this last year because of cancer and chemo. but I am soon to restart my business.

Do any of you have your own rosary business?

All for the Immaculata

40.png
RosaryArmy:
I was curious as to how many Rosary makers are on these boards. What kind do you make?
I joined the Legion of Mary at my parish sometime last year. Since Legion of Mary is a prayer group, we pray the rosary at each weekly meeting. A few of the more experienced members put together a workshop to teach any new Legion of Mary member as well as any interested parishioners how to make rosaries! So I’ve been making rosaries for about a year 😃 I didn’t realize they were so easy to make!

So far, I can only make the roped rosaries with the plastic beads. I’ve made some cute ones with hemp string and some glass beads I found at an oriental store. A lot of the rosaries I’ve made I’ve given to friends or contributed them to the Legion of Mary. (We’re usually required to make about 5 rosaries each week, which is no big deal, since rosaries are so easy to make!)

Legion of Mary distributes these rosaries in weekly door to door missions and then we put them in the adoration chapel for parishioners to use 🙂

Rosary making is a lot of fun, but I would really love to learn how to make the metal/wire rosaries. I found a really good site (but I can’t think of it right now) that has so many different kinds of beads… cheap to pretty expensive beads. I’ll have to come back to this thread and post up the link later on… :whacky:

40.png
JohnnyQ:
George Eastlake:

I love your idea of a Catholic coffee-shop/book & gift store/ religious art gallery. (I’m thinking, if I had my choice, where would I like to hang out and have a cup of coffee?)

I had a similar idea a few years ago but for me it was just a dream. For me it didn’t seem like something I could realistically do, at least at this point. I’m really glad to hear you’re doing it, though, and I’d love to hear how it progresses. Way to go!
This too is also mine and my husbands dream. I’ve been wanting to start a good catholic book store. We have one in town, but it isn’t very good. We would like to have a reading area and a place that people could discuss the books, bring in guest speakers every now and then. And have a litte coffee/beverage shop. Right now our problem is finacing and time. I will do this some day, I feel the calling to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back