Rudolph and the Occult

  • Thread starter Thread starter budgie2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we are not God we never really know what is in a person’s heart, I will give you that much.

If actually curious Clement Clarke was born in the 1700’s, the son of a bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Clarke was also a Christian theologian and a Professor of biblical studies. I doubt he was a pagan.

Never believe everything you see and hear, especially on the web, research it for yourself. And I wouldn’t lump everyone together either, even in the non christian world. They do not all share the same beliefs.
In addition to that, there’s a good amount of evidence that Clement Clarke Moore did NOT write the poem in question…as its very much unlike his other writings in metre and style and very much like one of his contemporary’s.
 
Ah, we are just having a wee bit o fun!
My boys when small really enjoyed all the Rudolph, Santa, elves, etc. Now that they are teens with very dry senses of humor (gee, where did they get those?:rolleyes:), we find humor in unusual places.

For example, my sons thought the Frosty video was pretty funny. Not appropriate for kids, but when one is 18…😉

The rolled their eyes in disbelief when they read the OP of this thread. Then the comments started being uttered, which I shall not repeat here, but some were pretty darn funny and insightful.
I thought of quite a few myself that shall not be repeated here. hehehe

Sometimes kids can be cute. The other day I was with a little relative, a first grader. He heard the song playing Santa Baby for the very first time. His eyes got huge and he asked if Santa had heard that song yet. He thought that lady was being naughty and selfish. Then he asked if Santa is married like the movies, and do we think Mrs Claus knows about that song yet, cuz she might get mad for calling Santa “baby”. LOL
 
In addition to that, there’s a good amount of evidence that Clement Clarke Moore did NOT write the poem in question…as its very much unlike his other writings in metre and style and very much like one of his contemporary’s.
True, and the one who may have written it was related to him through marriage if I am not mistaken.

And this thread is kind of fun in a zany way. At first I though the Op’s post all tongue in cheek. lol

All we need now is bat boy tagging along in the sleigh. 😃
 
True, and the one who may have written it was related to him through marriage if I am not mistaken.

And this thread is kind of fun in a zany way. At first I though the Op’s post all tongue in cheek. lol

All we need now is bat boy tagging along in the sleigh. 😃
There’s a few different theories. One is that he took the content from Washington Irving’s poem (originally written in Dutch so it looses its flow) which is very similar. Also, he refused on many occasions to take credit for it until he was in front of his children one day. Methinks he may have been to earn some credit in their eyes. After that occasion he AGAIN refused to take credit for it. Now aside from thinking it would destroy his literary career, there’s really no good reason to deny writing a poem. The idea of authorship was a bit different back then and he simply could of used a pen name if he wanted to.

There’s some stuff about it on Wikipedia, but its far from complete. One of my writing prof’s had a lot more evidence and things for us to look over than is listed there. As a class analizing a group of poems & writings (without knowing the authors) we correctly identified each as “author A” “author B” and “Author C” EXCEPT “Twas the Night Before Christmas.” That is, if “TTNBC” is correctly attributed to Clement C. Moore
 
I find it odd and somewhat disturbing that this thread is still going on and seeming to get a lot more ridiculous the more people respond. Shouldn’t we simply allow our children their fantasies and fun? My daughter, (who is now a mother herself) and I discussed this the other day and she too agrees that stories like Rudolf and Santa do have their place in the minds of our children and if we all continue to degrade this joyful reindeer placing him in the same category as paganism (which most people regard as evil, go figure) he will become a thing of the past, a tired memory just the same as many would like our Lord Jesus to become now that John Q Public has seemed to have removed Him from Christmas. Be careful my friends that you all do not take this too far and stab us all in the neck.
Merry Christmas and happy New Year to all!
I doubt if any children are reading this thread and if they are i doubt if they know what the donner party is. Lighten up-we are just poking fun at the absurd commnets in the original post
 
I doubt if any children are reading this thread and if they are i doubt if they know what the donner party is. Lighten up-we are just poking fun at the absurd commnets in the original post
Not for nothing - but if I had children or even teens for that matter - I don’t think I would let them on here some of these sub-forums unsupervised. I am referring to such things as Family Living. I don’t think that teens need to be discussing NFP, etc with people outside of their immediate family and youth religious educational group. Not everyone is on these forums for the same reason. I think a child finding out Santa Claus is not coming down his/her chimney this Christmas would be the least of my worries. Granted this is much safer than say a Yahoo! or Google forum but still not isolated from the rest of the world.
 
Not for nothing - but if I had children or even teens for that matter - I don’t think I would let them on here some of these sub-forums unsupervised. I am referring to such things as Family Living. I don’t think that teens need to be discussing NFP, etc with people outside of their immediate family and youth religious educational group. Not everyone is on these forums for the same reason. I think a child finding out Santa Claus is not coming down his/her chimney this Christmas would be the least of my worries. Granted this is much safer than say a Yahoo! or Google forum but still not isolated from the rest of the world.
I don’t know why this forum would hold a teen’s attention.😛 Its only us old fogies who’d make rudolph into a monster. There are Catholic teen forums…Phatmass is a predominat one.

Although survays show that teens tend to dislike the “slowness”, anoniminty, impersonal nature of a forum and prefer IM, chats, tweeting and facebook
 
I don’t know why this forum would hold a teen’s attention.😛 Its only us old fogies who’d make rudolph into a monster. There are Catholic teen forums…Phatmass is a predominat one.

Although survays show that teens tend to dislike the “slowness”, anoniminty, impersonal nature of a forum and prefer IM, chats, tweeting and facebook
Trust me, this forum would NOT hold a teen’s attention for long! They have MySpace, FaceBook, texting, cell phones, and Twitter. Compared to those, this is BORING!
 
I think most of the people on this thread are making wild and silly comments becuase the OP’s claims are just so silly and aren’t even well-researched. Almost like chicken little’s “the SKY is FALLING!!!”
I don’t mean to pick on you but I have done a huge amount of research on Santa Claus for the Church. You could be brainwashed by the mass media and multinationals. The popular Santa Claus is very different from the real Saint. So who is he? It’s wrong to bring children up to believe in imaginary characters when we don’t know the origin and are too afraid to find out. Santa Claus will be banned in the future.

We can’t assume everything in the popular arena is good for children. There’s legal infanticide in our country and there’s also dodgy toys on the market like Barbie which has been developed from a German sex doll called Bild Lilly but that’s beside the point.

Here are some sources:
paganwiccan.about.com/od/yulethelongestnight/p/Santa_Claus.htm
zazzle.co.uk/herne_the_reborn_lord_card-137882701695275926
 
In addition to that, there’s a good amount of evidence that Clement Clarke Moore did NOT write the poem in question…as its very much unlike his other writings in metre and style and very much like one of his contemporary’s.
the work in question was not a direct testimony from him of events he actually witnessed. It was actually a product of the Clementine community and reflects their shared understanding of faith in the jolly old elf as the understood it from Moore, their teacher. The events related in the poem are merely allegorical retellings of his dreams and imaginations based on his own private revelation, passed on to and processed through the experience of his followers.
 
I don’t mean to pick on you but I have done a huge amount of research on Santa Claus for the Church. You could be brainwashed by the mass media and multinationals. The popular Santa Claus is very different from the real Saint. So who is he? It’s wrong to bring children up to believe in imaginary characters when we don’t know the origin and are too afraid to find out. Santa Claus will be banned in the future.

We can’t assume everything in the popular arena is good for children. There’s legal infanticide in our country and there’s also dodgy toys on the market like Barbie which has been developed from a German sex doll called Bild Lilly but that’s beside the point.

Here are some sources:
paganwiccan.about.com/od/yulethelongestnight/p/Santa_Claus.htm
zazzle.co.uk/herne_the_reborn_lord_card-137882701695275926
Many people do “a huge amount of research” in the wrong places and say that we didn’t land on the moon. Both of your sources…“pagan wicca” (which despite their claims is 50 or less years old) and “zazzle” a coustom printing website are complete trash.

I’m not saying that everything is good for children, however, Santa-reindeer-sleigh all developed fairly innocously. And again, as I’ve stated on other threads, many, many saints believed in St. Nick or Fr. Christmas as children each with their own cultural mythology about the who-what-when.
 
I don’t mean to pick on you but I have done a huge amount of research on Santa Claus for the Church. You could be brainwashed by the mass media and multinationals. The popular Santa Claus is very different from the real Saint. So who is he? It’s wrong to bring children up to believe in imaginary characters when we don’t know the origin and are too afraid to find out. Santa Claus will be banned in the future.

We can’t assume everything in the popular arena is good for children. There’s legal infanticide in our country and there’s also dodgy toys on the market like Barbie which has been developed from a German sex doll called Bild Lilly but that’s beside the point.

Here are some sources:
paganwiccan.about.com/od/yulethelongestnight/p/Santa_Claus.htm
zazzle.co.uk/herne_the_reborn_lord_card-137882701695275926
Oh my…Santa had brought me plenty a Barbie growing up. 😦
 
Oh my…Santa had brought me plenty a Barbie growing up. 😦
GASP!!! http://i29.tinypic.com/p5bx4.jpg

He still brings me Barbies for my collection! http://i39.tinypic.com/2mwyq85.jpg

Budgie did NOT go there! hahahaha

Well, I do not want to hurt your feelings Budgie, I can tell you are serious and passion about something can be a great thing. But always check to confirm everything you are told is a fact. Research as a historian would, cross check the references against others, use many sources. It would be more convincing if you found harder facts. And for something like this, one should always agree to disagree.

I did when my fundamentalist friends told me the Pope is satanic because of the upside down cross. I don’t trust anything until I check it out for myself. Usually I find truth somewhere in the middle. Now I know that upside down cross is associated with St Peter.

Oh, you said:
We can’t assume everything in the popular arena is good for children. There’s legal infanticide in our country and there’s also dodgy toys on the market like Barbie which has been developed from a German sex doll called Bild Lilly but that’s beside the point.
Just FYI, the Bild Lilli was first a cartoon filler for Bild-Zeitung, a German paper that is just a few steps above a weekly world news or national enquirer. Except they take real stories, not fake ones, and twist it. There is no “bat boy” in the Bild. 😛 The papers motto roughly translates to mean…“we make your opinion, so you don’t have too”. Very tongue in cheek.

*Bild-Zeitung *was shortened to Bild.



Bild is famous for front cover girls that have no need for a padded Büstenhalter. snickers The sketch of Lilli was a hit and featured every week. Many believe that the artist asked to create the filler was inspired by Marlene Dietrich.

A few years later they made a doll after her likeness. The mother in law of the parent companies owner had her own doll company and soon Bild Lilli sold in toy stores and cigar shops. The doll also took off as a gag gift for bachelor parties.

Anyway Ruth Handler, an American mom with 2 kids named Barbie and Ken, bought a few Lilli dolls when in Germany. Mattel bought the rights and soon Barbie was born. Think of her as the younger American cousin of the German Lilli.
If you look at history Barbie may have been a reaction to the war. There were fabric shortages, nylon stockings were scarce, and ladies clothing styles were pared down. Post war Barbie was a fashion plate who looked like the popular stars on the Silver Screen. it was perfect timing for a glamour girl.

Probably more than you wanted to know. LOL

Feminists and some conservatives may hate her, and I can see both sides of the issue. But I assure you, she was not, and has never been, a sex toy.

I hope Santa brings me a Happy Holiday Barbie!!!
 
Feminists and some conservatives may hate her, and I can see both sides of the issue. But I assure you, she was not, and has never been, a sex toy.

QUOTE]

Perhaps not, but her outfits DO seem to be designed by pedophiles. I won’t buy “real” Barbies for that reason alone. There are other varieties that serve the same purpose without all the plastic “skin” showing.

BTW…thanks to all for this thread…you guys are killing me!!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
 
Many people do “a huge amount of research” in the wrong places and say that we didn’t land on the moon. Both of your sources…“pagan wicca” (which despite their claims is 50 or less years old) and “zazzle” a coustom printing website are complete trash.

I’m not saying that everything is good for children, however, Santa-reindeer-sleigh all developed fairly innocously. And again, as I’ve stated on other threads, many, many saints believed in St. Nick or Fr. Christmas as children each with their own cultural mythology about the who-what-when.
It’s useful to remember that Pagans and Wiccans celebrate a festival on the same date as us which is the Solstice and also Yule following the Solstice. A lot of the solstice is under the name of Christmas now. Many sources would directly relate Santa Claus and his reindeer to the solstice.

“•Reclaim Santa Claus as a Pagan Godform. Today’s Santa is a folk figure with multicultural roots. He embodies characteristics of Saturn (Roman agricultural god), Cronos (Greek god, also known as Father Time), the Holly King (Celtic god of the dying year), Father Ice/Grandfather Frost (Russian winter god), Thor (Norse sky god who rides the sky in a chariot drawn by goats), Odin/Wotan (Scandinavian/Teutonic All-Father who rides the sky on an eight-legged horse), Frey (Norse fertility god), and the Tomte (a Norse Land Spirit known for giving gifts to children at this time of year). Santa’s reindeer can be viewed as forms of Herne, the Celtic Horned God. Decorate your home with Santa images that reflect His Pagan heritage.”

circlesanctuary.org/pholidays/SolsticeArticle.html

I boycott the solstice but for all you Santa Claus and his reindeer worshippers, have a Blessed Solstice.

Ring out those bells…
youtube.com/watch?v=ItubO5lTPRs
 
Thanks Budgie… You’ve certainly have made this thread “entertaining” in the very least… …🍿

Now I’m off to go shopping for a new Barbie…
 
BTW…thanks to all for this thread…**you guys are killing me!!! **

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Code:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hoi8g6.jpg  It's sleighing me!!   http://i38.tinypic.com/1zfjzp4.jpg
I’m trying to figure out how to get back the time I spent googling after watching that vid Budgie linked. Never heard of it. But now I know who Jethro Tull is. LOL
I boycott the solstice but for all you Santa Claus and his reindeer worshippers, have a Blessed Solstice.
And a http://i33.tinypic.com/2qmn8no.jpg **to you too Budgie! **http://i35.tinypic.com/2lm0uht.jpg http://i38.tinypic.com/33u4phh.jpg

BTW, your source improved.
 
It’s useful to remember that Pagans and Wiccans celebrate a festival on the same date as us which is the Solstice and also Yule following the Solstice. A lot of the solstice is under the name of Christmas now. Many sources would directly relate Santa Claus and his reindeer to the solstice.

“•Reclaim Santa Claus as a Pagan Godform. Today’s Santa is a folk figure with multicultural roots. He embodies characteristics of Saturn (Roman agricultural god), Cronos (Greek god, also known as Father Time), the Holly King (Celtic god of the dying year), Father Ice/Grandfather Frost (Russian winter god), Thor (Norse sky god who rides the sky in a chariot drawn by goats), Odin/Wotan (Scandinavian/Teutonic All-Father who rides the sky on an eight-legged horse), Frey (Norse fertility god), and the Tomte (a Norse Land Spirit known for giving gifts to children at this time of year). Santa’s reindeer can be viewed as forms of Herne, the Celtic Horned God. Decorate your home with Santa images that reflect His Pagan heritage.”

circlesanctuary.org/pholidays/SolsticeArticle.html

I boycott the solstice but for all you Santa Claus and his reindeer worshippers, have a Blessed Solstice.

Ring out those bells…
youtube.com/watch?v=ItubO5lTPRs
And do you know why many of our traditions resemble Pagan traditions the Budgie? This would come down to knowing ones history. The Apostles converted both Jew and Gentile alike. Guess what if you weren’t a Jew you were probably a Pagan. And if you don’t believe me - go ask a Priest but the three wisemen were actually Druid High Priests which is why they were able to read the night sky and the sign our Lord put there.

The timing and traditions of our Christian festivals were done for a couple of reasons:
  1. It allowed the Christians to celebrate while hiding their religious practices from persecution - remember no one sets out to be a martyr.
  2. It allowed for an easier transition of converts - hence the non-circumcision policy credited to Paul. This was the main reason Christianity became it’s own religion and not an off-shoot of Judaism. This procedure would have been painful for adult Gentiles who wanted to follow Christ.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top