C
ccathcart
Guest
Hi There! This is my first post. A little background about my questions first:
My daughter was baptized in 2003, in a Lutheran church. 6 months later we converted to the catholic faith. Since then we have been catholic. I myself went through RCIA back in 2005 and my wife has been catholic since birth. With that said, my daughter who was baptized Lutheran in 2003 has been attending Catholic school since Kindergarten and this year is in 2nd grade and with be partaking in communion. Now the questions that I have is what does the church say is the rule for my daughter to partake in communion? When we joined this church a while back we had asked this question and the priest stated that nothing “extra” needed to occur and she would end up going through what every other catholic kid would need to. However, a few weeks back we were told by the church that my daughter would have to attend special masses (kind of like a junior RCIA program). She would need a sponsor, etc, etc. Honestly I am not sure I can commit to having to show up an hour before service with my wife working on weekends and having another child to care for.
Can someone clarify if what they are asking of us is really a rule of the church?
Thanks.
Chris
My daughter was baptized in 2003, in a Lutheran church. 6 months later we converted to the catholic faith. Since then we have been catholic. I myself went through RCIA back in 2005 and my wife has been catholic since birth. With that said, my daughter who was baptized Lutheran in 2003 has been attending Catholic school since Kindergarten and this year is in 2nd grade and with be partaking in communion. Now the questions that I have is what does the church say is the rule for my daughter to partake in communion? When we joined this church a while back we had asked this question and the priest stated that nothing “extra” needed to occur and she would end up going through what every other catholic kid would need to. However, a few weeks back we were told by the church that my daughter would have to attend special masses (kind of like a junior RCIA program). She would need a sponsor, etc, etc. Honestly I am not sure I can commit to having to show up an hour before service with my wife working on weekends and having another child to care for.
Can someone clarify if what they are asking of us is really a rule of the church?
Thanks.
Chris