Sade vs Rand: thoughts on atheism and morality

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Freddy:
Are you saying you don’t? And there are no preconceptions involved. If you think that there are, could you tell me what you think they are?
Doing something Jesus says only makes sense if He had some sort of authority otherwise it would be based on a personal preference.
Unless I’m mistaken, Jesus had some authority as far as you are concerned. So yet again…try using the golden rule - as he tells you you should, and see where it gets you.

Morality is possible just not sustainable through philosphy.
What makes you think so? The three main ethical theories in the Western world come from outside of religious traditions—Aristotle, Kant and Mills. And they are all philosophical in essence. I would argue that Aristotle’s is the one most based in observation of how humans actually behave, but I’d have to give kudos to the others as well. But still, philosophy…

40.png
Freddy:
Are you saying you don’t? And there are no preconceptions involved. If you think that there are, could you tell me what you think they are?
Doing something Jesus says only makes sense if He had some sort of authority otherwise it would be based on a personal preference.
Hey, we agree here.

As far as the implicit choice, I think he was one charismatic guy suffering from actual psychological delusions of grandeur in an age that was filled with guys like that.

That it became a 2000 year old religion was purely accidental. Most thought they were going to live to see him return, thus why they wrote at such advanced ages.

It’s because marriage is a giving of one’s self to another to become one flesh and to live in for lack of a better word a society.
I think the natural construct of it was primarily for raising young, which also had obvious societal benefit.
Young people with two in their support base were much more likely to encounter success than those with just one.

That it became a 2000 year old religion was purely accidental.
It was, rather, very purposeful. Almost right off the bat, the church enters its “age of martyrs” where folks were dying left and right for this delusional sufferer. But more to the point, any religion that has had “staying power” must have a lot to recommend it. Otherwise, you’re stretching credulity to its brink.

40.png
Freddy:
So yet again…try using the golden rule - as he tells you you should, and see where it gets you.
Except that doesn’t really answer anything.
Why this reluctance to accept what Jesus has told us? It’s not in itself an answer to anything. It’s a means to make decisons as to what we should consider correct moral behaviour.

I’m really bemused by your rejection of one of His most important teachings.

Last edited:
The three main ethical theories in the Western world come from outside of religious traditions—Aristotle, Kant and Mills. And they are all philosophical in essence. I would argue that Aristotle’s is the one most based in observation of how humans actually behave, but I’d have to give kudos to the others as well. But still, philosophy…
Perhaps not philosophy, but the basis would be on postulates that are easy to disagree with.

It’s reality.

It’s the middle ground between pure evolutionary individualism vs complete eusocial structure (like ants and termites).

I think that as well. I always found that book inspiring since I first heard about it in a comic book of all places.

Last edited:
40.png
Hume:
It was, rather, very purposeful. Almost right off the bat, the church enters its “age of martyrs” where folks were dying left and right for this delusional sufferer. But more to the point, any religion that has had “staying power” must have a lot to recommend it. Otherwise, you’re stretching credulity to its brink.
Goodness, every failed religion had an age of martyrs. They just didn’t come out of it.

Why this reluctance to accept what Jesus has told us? It’s not in itself an answer to anything. It’s a means to make decisons as to what we should consider correct moral behaviour.

I’m really bemused by your rejection of one of His most important teachings?
For debate purposes I’m disputing the reasoning that the golden rule has any meaning under a morally relativistic system.

40.png
Hume:
But more to the point, any religion that has had “staying power” must have a lot to recommend it. Otherwise, you’re stretching credulity to its brink.
Carrot and stick. Eternal damnation if you don’t and everlasting bliss if you do.

One of my favorite books is by EO Wilson called The Social Conquest of the Earth, or something like that. Nearly identical subject.

Some of his ideas didn’t age well, but all in all it’s a fabulous book.

Last edited:
Yeah, idk. That friendship is crucial to human flourishing (Aristotle), that one must always treat others as ends in themselves and never as a means only (Kant) or that courage is a virtue in the mean between two extremes of vice (cowardice and rash foolheartiness) (Aristotle again)…I’m not sure how easy it is to disagree with any of that. :man_shrugging:t2:

40.png
Freddy:

I’m really bemused by your rejection of one of His most important teachings?
For debate purposes I’m disputing the reasoning that the golden rule has any meaning under a morally relativistic system.
It’s not to be considered ‘under’ and moral system. It’s a moral system in itself. I guess I’ve reached the point where I have to ask you whether you think ‘Do unto others…’ has any merit at all.

Should we discount it entirely or put it to good use?

One of my favorite books is by EO Wilson called The Social Conquest of the Earth, or something like that. Nearly identical subject.

As soon as I saw the term ‘eusocial’ and the reference to ants and termites I thought, ‘Hello, I bet he’s read The Social Conquest…’

Oh I’m sure some of Kropotkin’s are outdated as well but his is still a good book. I’m adding Wilson’s to my to read list right now.

Goodness, every failed religion had an age of martyrs. They just didn’t come out of it.
You suggested it was accidental. History shows a very purposeful enduring of the Christian faith. Still, any and all unbelievers/atheists need to account for the success of religions that have had staying power somehow. “it was just an accident” is not a position that could be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back