Saintly Humor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eucharisted
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great thread! When I need just step back and take a deep breath, this thread can help! Thank you all!
 
St Philip Neri was tired of being regarded as a saint so when people came to see him in his ‘nedo’ (nest i.e. room) he would say “Come in” and they’d find him reading a book of childish jokes. He also shaved half of his face, leaving the other half with stubble when going to an important meeting- so people would think he was an idiot!
St. Philip Neri would also tame squirrels, and let them ride around on his shoulders. One day, at Mass… St. Philip went into ecstasy… and levitated. And the squirrel which was sitting on his shoulder levitated right along with him. :rotfl: (After hearing this story, I have NO doubt that Our dear Lord has a wonderful sense of humor).
 
Here’s an example of “be careful what you pray for:”

Hubs and I had a big argument a couple months ago because he’d scheduled his weekend so he couldn’t go to Mass - a college football game on Saturday, golf with dad Sunday morning, and Sunday evening a birthday gathering at a friends’ house.

At Mass Sunday morning, I prayed to God to do whatever it takes to get hubs to Mass.

Right after Mass, I got in my car and somehow managed to twist and pull a muscle in my back. It was excruciating. I was laid out for the rest of the day.

We couldn’t go to the birthday party.

Hubs went to Mass that night.
Conversion of sinners requires sacrifice on our part. 🙂
 
rofl! This thread is hilarious!

I love the story about a priest who was saying mass…

he got to the handshake of peace fine, but when he said “peace be with you” no sound came through the speakers! After fiddling with the mic for a few minutes he said announced a pretty loud voice “There seems to be something wrong with my microphone”

The entire congregation replied “And also with you”
…:rotfl: :rotfl: …
 
Another from John XXIII, and probably once of my favorites.

Once carpenter in the Vatican accidentally hit his thumb with a hammer and started blaspheming and letting out a stream of curses. John XXIII said to the carpenter “Can’t you say ‘merde’ (sh*t) like everybody else?”

Oh, Blessed John XXIII Pray for us!

:highprayer: A little smoke never hurt anyone.
 
Barb, I’d like that NUMBER pleeeeeeeease… 😉

1-800-HEAVEN? 😃
Not a saint joke, but a clean joke.

An Italian cardinal is sent to observe how the Church is faring in America.

He travels first to Boston where the ArchBishop takes him to a beautiful cathedral and as they are touring it the cardinal notices a small room with a red telephone in it. The Archbishop explains that this the phone where one can call God.

The Cardinal then travels to Chicago and find the same thing.

He then travels to Houston and sees something similar except it is a plain black phone. When he asks, he is told:
“Your eminence, you are in Texas now. It’s a local call”
 
There is a story about St. Bernadette. I’m not sure if I have the details exactly correct… but it goes something like this.

After she had lived in the convent of Nevers, for a number of years… many times people would show up asking for the “little saint” of Lourdes. Apparently, this greatly amused the humble St. Bernadette.

One day, a lady showed up and encountered Bernadette in a corridor. She asked to meet the “little saint”, not knowing she was speaking to Bernadette, herself.

With a twinkle in her eye… St. Bernadette replied “I’ll see if I can find her” and walked away, leaving the lady waiting.

My guess, is that the lady waited a long time. :rotfl:
 
There is a story about St. Bernadette. I’m not sure if I have the details exactly correct… but it goes something like this.

After she had lived in the convent of Nevers, for a number of years… many times people would show up asking for the “little saint” of Lourdes. Apparently, this greatly amused the humble St. Bernadette.

One day, a lady showed up and encountered Bernadette in a corridor. She asked to meet the “little saint”, not knowing she was speaking to Bernadette, herself.

With a twinkle in her eye… St. Bernadette replied “I’ll see if I can find her” and walked away, leaving the lady waiting.

My guess, is that the lady waited a long time. :rotfl:
…or perhaps St. Bernadette returned with their youngest postulant…or perhaps the convent cat:D
 
Another from John XXIII, and probably once of my favorites.

Once carpenter in the Vatican accidentally hit his thumb with a hammer and started blaspheming and letting out a stream of curses. John XXIII said to the carpenter “Can’t you say ‘merde’ (sh*t) like everybody else?”

Oh, Blessed John XXIII Pray for us!

:highprayer: A little smoke never hurt anyone.
HAH!!! thats hilarious
 
There is a story about St. Bernadette. I’m not sure if I have the details exactly correct… but it goes something like this.

After she had lived in the convent of Nevers, for a number of years… many times people would show up asking for the “little saint” of Lourdes. Apparently, this greatly amused the humble St. Bernadette.

One day, a lady showed up and encountered Bernadette in a corridor. She asked to meet the “little saint”, not knowing she was speaking to Bernadette, herself.

With a twinkle in her eye… St. Bernadette replied “I’ll see if I can find her” and walked away, leaving the lady waiting.

My guess, is that the lady waited a long time. :rotfl:
When EWTN had the special on St. Bernadette it had that same story!😃 That movie also showed her commonly dancing and singing as she swept.
He’s also alleged to have said on the scaffold as he moved his beard out of the way of the executioner’s axe, “My beard hath not committed treason”.
:clapping: :rotfl:
 
I remember one time in my room when I was praying for Pope John Paul II’s soul when I heard the news he had died, and I thought about who else should be Pope. My thoughts immediately went to Cardinal Ratzinger, because of his wonderful commentary on the message of Fatima and because I believed he was very close to John Paul II. I asked God to elect to Pope whoever He wanted.

Than this voice asked me, “Nicholas, who do you want to be Pope?” I replied, “Cardinal Ratzinger, because his heart is so close to John Paul II, and John Paul II is so close to the Heart of Jesus.” Than the voice said, “Because your will is in accordance to God’s, it shall be done.”

It was the weirdest moment in my life! 😃
 
Does anyone know… is it true that St. Francis of Assisi could juggle? I’ve seen this depicted in a movie on his life.

I know that St. John Bosco could (and did). But was wondering about St. Francis of Assisi. 🤷
 
Does anyone know… is it true that St. Francis of Assisi could juggle? I’ve seen this depicted in a movie on his life.

I know that St. John Bosco could (and did). But was wondering about St. Francis of Assisi. 🤷
That’s a good question! 🙂

I think it’d be pretty humorous to see him juggling. 😃
 
St Philip Neri 🙂

Humility was the most important virtue he tried to teach others and to learn himself. Some of his lessons in humility seem cruel, but they were tinged with humor like practical jokes and were related with gratitude by the people they helped. His lessons always seem to be tailored directly to what the person needed. One member who was later to become a cardinal was too serious and so Philip had him sing the Misere at a wedding breakfast. When one priest gave a beautiful sermon, Philip ordered him to give the same sermon six times in a row so people would think he only had one sermon.

Philip preferred spiritual mortification to physical mortification. When one man asked Philip if he could wear a hair shirt, Philip gave him permission – if he wore the hair shirt outside his clothes! The man obeyed and found humility in the jokes and name-calling he received.

There were unexpected benefits to his lessons in humility. Another member, Baronius, wanted to speak at the meetings about hellfire and eternal punishment. Philip commanded him instead to speak of church history. For 27 years Baronius spoke to the Oratory about church history. At the end of that time he published his talks as a widely respected and universally praised books on ecclesiastical history!

catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=97
 
Bump.

St. John Kanty was invited to a nobelman‘s house for dinner, but showed up in such a shabby cassock that the butler wouldn‘t let him it. So he went home and changed into something better. During the meal a servant spilled some food in his lap and apologized profusely. John said, „Don‘t worry about it. It‘s only fitting that my clothes should get some food, because it is to them I owe the pleasure of being here.“
 
St. Clement Hofbauer went into a tavern to beg for money to support an orphanage. One of the patrons spat in his face. Not missing a beat, Clement said: “Okay, that was for me. Now give me something for my poor children.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top