Salvation can be lost

  • Thread starter Thread starter peeteyg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do you lose your salvation once you took the ferry across to the right side?
Not all analogies are complete, Beth. One can simply jump back into the river and parish as they try to go back to the other side.

The both line of the analogy is, it takes Jesus AND OUR PARTICIPATION to get to heaven. We couldn’t do it alone, and He won’t force us to go without our wanting it more than our own very life.
 
You do realize the astor is speaking of the second son who is similar to the hypocritical pharasees to whom Jesus is speaking to? If you canot see the paraelle to the older son the the Pharasees, then there is nothing more to say. The entire chapter is a contrast between the repentent sinner and self righteous hypocrite. Jesus was smacking the faces of the pharasees for they were responsible and entrusted to all the things of God; yet they were stubborn and stiffnecks, just like the second son.

Luke paints a far different story from the one you teach, and you might find that your re-reading of the passage, in the context of whom Jesus was speaking and what was know about the pharasees, will point this out even more clearly.

May God bless you!
Beth
Beth is half-right. The older son is similar to the Pharisees who refuse to associate with “the lesser ones”.

But it’s not the MAIN POINT of the parable, simply a tag-along.
 
You do realize the astor is speaking of the second son who is similar to the hypocritical pharasees to whom Jesus is speaking to? If you canot see the paraelle to the older son the the Pharasees, then there is nothing more to say. The entire chapter is a contrast between the repentent sinner and self righteous hypocrite. Jesus was smacking the faces of the pharasees for they were responsible and entrusted to all the things of God; yet they were stubborn and stiffnecks, just like the second son.

Luke paints a far different story from the one you teach, and you might find that your re-reading of the passage, in the context of whom Jesus was speaking and what was know about the pharasees, will point this out even more clearly.

May God bless you!
Beth
The elder son is no self righteous hypocrite; he is an obedient and faithful son. Please show me from the scripture any hypocrisy or wrongdoing on his part. His father, (who represents God) acknowledges his obedient fidelity and promises to reward it. Does God reward hypocrisy? He needs to learn mercy even if he himself is not in need of mercy. To categorize him as the primary figure of the parable and to call it a representation of “evil hypocrisy” is not only contrary to the scripture, but distorts Christ’s meaning about the greatness of His Father’s mercy. You might want to read the Church fathers on the scriptures rather than some self-appointed expert
 
The elder son is no self righteous hypocrite; he is an obedient and faithful son. Please show me from the scripture any hypocrisy or wrongdoing on his part. His father, (who represents God) acknowledges his obedient fidelity and promises to reward it. Does God reward hypocrisy? He needs to learn mercy even if he himself is not in need of mercy. To categorize him as the primary figure of the parable and to call it a representation of “evil hypocrisy” is not only contrary to the scripture, but distorts Christ’s meaning about the greatness of His Father’s mercy. You might want to read the Church fathers on the scriptures rather than some self-appointed expert
Slow down, Danno. Many Catholic Apologists equate the older son with the Pharisees.

You see the older son refusing to come in and eat with the low-life brother of his, just as the Pharisees won’t come in and eat with the sinners that Jesus is surrounded by. Notice the parable does not have an ending? Jesus is leaving the older son’s choice to join in the celebration hanging, as an open invitation for the Pharisees to join in the celebration.

But, to be sure, the dilemma of the older son is not the main point of the parable, as is indicated by reading all three parables (the shepherd who lost one of his sheep and the woman who lost one of her gold coins) together. The theme is incredible joy in heaven over the repentance and ensuing salvation of any sinner!
 
Read the profile information and you would not need to ask would you? I can see you are a very bitter and angry person on the inside because the Bible states that out of the heart the mouth speaks; so I will pray for you.
Hmm. I have re-read my posts and find it surprising that you think I have spoken bitterly or angrily. However, I appreciate your prayers as “the prayers of the righteous availeth much” and one can never have too many people praying for one.
I am sorry that the Bible is a stumbling block to you and that I have caused you to sin in anger, slander and hatred to another Christian.
Again, I don’t see where you see anger, slander and hatred. I think most people who know my posts here would suggest otherwise (in fact just a couple of days ago I was rebuked for “den-mothering.”) As for the Bible being a stumbling-block, far from it! It is the written Revelation of our loving Lord.
I assumed a Catholic was a Christian, but you seem to imply otherwise.
Now I’m really confused.
Also, according to the advice from the greeter; they suggested apologetics where I could meet other Christians and could talk openly about the Bible, but either Catherine or Bob warned me that not all will be Christian.
Apologetics tends to be a pretty free-wheeling forum! We enjoy lots of different kinds of discussion, and my intent in my post was only to question your repeated assertions that you weren’t here to challenge Catholic beliefs or to argue.
May God bless you!
Thank you - may He bless you as well. I’m sorry that I have somehow come across in such an unfortunate and unpleasant way, and hope that we will be able to have more charitable discussions in the future.
 
Slow down, Danno. Many Catholic Apologists equate the older son with the Pharisees.

You see the older son refusing to come in and eat with the low-life brother of his, just as the Pharisees won’t come in and eat with the sinners that Jesus is surrounded by. Notice the parable does not have an ending? Jesus is leaving the older son’s choice to join in the celebration hanging, as an open invitation for the Pharisees to join in the celebration.

But, to be sure, the dilemma of the older son is not the main point of the parable, as is indicated by reading all three parables (the shepherd who lost one of his sheep and the woman who lost one of her gold coins) together. The theme is incredible joy in heaven over the repentance and ensuing salvation of any sinner!
He is representative of the Pharisees (among others), but not as an “evil hypocrit.” He is the representative of every hard-working, right-living, faithful person who has ever found himself resenting the salvation God offers to the wanton, lazy, or otherwise “unworthy.” There are plenty of Christians who have fallen into this trap at one time or another. In fact, you can make the case that each of us has, at one time, played the role of the younger brother, and at others, the older.

It’s worth noting, in addition, that the older son does not lose his inheritance because of his resentment - the father says “everything I have is yours” (Side note - sin still has temporal costs - the younger son has in fact squandered his inheritance and the father does not appear to be about to redivide what’s left.) But the older brother is cutting himself off from the joy by his resentment and anger. He could go in and join the party - but he won’t, because he’s too angry.

God wanted to invite all the prodigals into the kingdom. He didn’t want the faithful to exclude themselves.
 
My objection is to the characterization of the elder son as evil. He is manifestly good, obeying every one of his father’s commands (“If you love me, keep my commands”). He is certainly lacking in the ability to see that his father is not acting unjustly by rewarding his brother’s sinfulness, but mercifully with joy because the sinfulness has ceased. Why is he castigated for needing to be taught mercy? He has not himself felt the need for mercy, and now he is given an opportunity see how mercy brings justice to joy. How does Mr. MacArthur know that the son didn’t say, “Gee, Dad, I never thought about your feelings in this. I was just angry at the stories I heard about him because you didn’t raise us to do those things. I guess I’ll come in for your sake, but I still got some gripes with my silly brother” The characterization of an evil hypocrite is not found in the parable, and I suspect that sola scriptura is a position that Mr. MacArthur would adhere to.
 
I am having a debate with my best friend. He is a Once Saved Always Saved breed of protestant. He says he is sad for me cause I am not assurred of my salvation. I keep telling him that no one knows who the elect are and no one has an assurance of salvation. I am hoping that I can get different perspectives and I know of many passages that show salvation is not assured, but we have to persevere. I apprecviate any comments on either side of this issue.
Saint Paul said that he was working out his salvation “with fear and trembling”. This supposes, of course, that, although He knew of his own salvation, he was afraid to lose it. If salvation was such a surety, then Saint Paul wouldn’t have cared. He would have believed in OSAS, which he clearly doesn’t in any of his writings. Your friend pre-supposes too much about his own salvation.
 
He is representative of the Pharisees (among others), but not as an “evil hypocrit.” He is the representative of every hard-working, right-living, faithful person who has ever found himself resenting the salvation God offers to the wanton, lazy, or otherwise “unworthy.” There are plenty of Christians who have fallen into this trap at one time or another. In fact, you can make the case that each of us has, at one time, played the role of the younger brother, and at others, the older.

It’s worth noting, in addition, that the older son does not lose his inheritance because of his resentment - the father says “everything I have is yours” (Side note - sin still has temporal costs - the younger son has in fact squandered his inheritance and the father does not appear to be about to redivide what’s left.) But the older brother is cutting himself off from the joy by his resentment and anger. He could go in and join the party - but he won’t, because he’s too angry.

God wanted to invite all the prodigals into the kingdom. He didn’t want the faithful to exclude themselves.
I agree, but I don’t recall Beth using the word “evil hypocrite”. I think the term was “self righteous hypocrite”.

Was the older son, self-righteous? Was he being hypocritical when he judged his younger brother? Now, although the Pharisees ARE much more hypocritical than the older son, he does paint an image of them in the parable.
 
My objection is to the characterization of the elder son as evil. He is manifestly good, obeying every one of his father’s commands (“If you love me, keep my commands”). He is certainly lacking in the ability to see that his father is not acting unjustly by rewarding his brother’s sinfulness, but mercifully with joy because the sinfulness has ceased.
Then your objection is to your words, not Beth’s. I may be wrong, but I haven’t found where she called the son evil.

Also, the son does good, obeying all the commandments, but he’s lacking mercy and compassion. Sounds like the Pharisee’s, eh?

Danno, I’ve heard Dr. Tim Gray, who is an EXCELLENT Catholic Bible Scholar describe the older son in this exact vein… except for the “evil” word. 😉
Why is he castigated for needing to be taught mercy? He has not himself felt the need for mercy, and now he is given an opportunity see how mercy brings justice to joy. How does Mr. MacArthur know that the son didn’t say, “Gee, Dad, I never thought about your feelings in this. I was just angry at the stories I heard about him because you didn’t raise us to do those things. I guess I’ll come in for your sake, but I still got some gripes with my silly brother” The characterization of an evil hypocrite is not found in the parable, and I suspect that sola scriptura is a position that Mr. MacArthur would adhere to.
That’s why the son’s further actions are left unsaid. Jesus is inviting the Pharisees in to celebrate the feast, just as the Father is inviting the older son to celebrate the feast.
 
You know, Beth, I just don’t believe that God is going to drag anyone, kicking and screaming, into Heaven, against their will. That’s why it’s called free will.

But if–just for a moment, let’s consider what would happen-- If God did drag someone in, who had no desire to be there (& I know people who don’t)…
If a person were to be dragged forcibly into Heaven, it would be horrible! The Presence of the holiness of God would be like unending torment to that person.

Sometimes we have to back up a little, & consider what God’s Presence means to a person who hates & loathes the very mention of God…
 
I saw this last year on CAF, seemed appropriate here.

Heaven is an island out in the middle of a huge sea. It is the best place in the universe. You want to go there. There is no way on your own to get there - you can’t swim, you can’t sail, you can’t fly.

God out of love invites you to join Him in Heaven by sending us the “SS Salvation” captained by Jesus. We can’t ever afford the cost of the ticket. It’s OK, because Jesus bought and paid for it and he gives us the ticket on the SS Salvation for free. We still have to make the decision to get on.

Being on the boat though, does not mean you are getting off in Heaven. It just means you have the means to get there - for the boat has to sail. Like every good captain, Jesus has rules that we have to follow if we want to stay on the boat. It is not a cruise, it is a working vessel. Sometimes the work is rewarding and sometimes it is pain, but it is what the Captain asks us to do to stay on the boat.

If you don’t follow the rules, if you don’t show Jesus you want to be in Heaven, you don’t get to disembark when it docks. You get to go to another, more “tropical” island.

It is not a prison ship either. You are free to get off at any time. But even if you decide to get off, your ticket is still good (i.e. your “salvation” is still valid) but you have to make the decision to get back on the boat and follow the rules
What is the name of the legalistic Phasee that wrote this? Caiaphas ? In case you are unaware, the rules, also know as the law, are to reveal the sin nature in order to show the failures of the man before God and the need for a Savior. No man can obey the Lord as He has called the Christian to; only the Savior Himself was able, which is why we have to have His righteousness imputed to our account. Without having His account, no man will be in heaven.

***“Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not impute sin”

Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,***-------Romans 4, the first half is the man who works his way, the second is theone who trusts in Jesus by faith----one is the legalist, the other is the one that walks by faith.

“So there are two ways to have something counted or credited to your account: you can work, or you can not work but trust. Notice carefully: the “wage,” which is credited, is something distinct from working or trusting. It is credited to the one who works “according to debt,” and it is credited to the one who trusts “according to grace.” What is this “it” which is credited to the worker as debt and to believer as a gift?”----John Piper at DesiringGod.com
 
Beth, I am familiar with Mr. McArthur. He is not one very friendly to Catholic teaching.

In regards to the Pharisee’s indifference and Mr. McArthur’s contention that this is the central point of the parable, have to disagree. It is a point to the parable, and a jab at the Pharisee’s who posited the question in the first place of Jesus eating with sinners, but you have to look at ALL THREE parables in Luke’s 15th chapter to get the main theme of repentance and joy.

The first two parables, which are obviously tied to the third, all hinge on repentance and joy - actually it could better be termed, "salvation lost, salvation regained, and the joy in returning to the flock.
No where does it say that in any of those parables that any statrted with salvation; that is imposing on the text and since this is a parable and not a real story, Jesus is making a point(s) to the pharasees, just as MacArtur rightly states because he is looking at the entire context of the culture, the scene, the chapter and the context of Scripture. Some of you seem to overlook to whom Jesus is speaking; something MacArthur does not overlook.

How do you gain, then lose, then gain again ?
 
Very good, and that is my point. You agree that Solomon had the veil lifted from his eyes, and yet he still sunk into the sin of idolatry, a sin that he never repented.

The other saints you mentioned, David and Paul both repented of their sin, but its never indicated that Solomon did. Instead, it seems that Solomon lost the very gift (that of wisdom) that God bestowed on him.
If you actually read the entire story, you will see that God did not change His mind concerning the wisdom he promised of Solomon during his lifetime. Also, it is implied that he repented because at the end it gives the account that "And Solomon slept with his fathers and was buried in the city of his father David" Just because something is not explicitly written; if the evidence is implicitly strong, which in this case it is, based in the fact that God set His love on Solomon and in the end he slept with his fathers, which would indicate other patriarchs and followed by the physical burialplace, which distinquishes the slept apart from the burial. I expect to see Solomon in heaven.
 
Hmmm…

The Prodigal Son gained his inheritance, a term that Paul uses when we become children of God. The Prodigal Son was “Saved” to use a term we are both familiar with. The son threw his salvation away. If he would have died while living in that cesspool, he would not have gone to heaven.

But as the Father says, “My son was dead and is alive AGAIN!” To be alive AGAIN, one must have been alive before.
As I said before you must understand to whom Jesus is speaking, the culture and the context of the chapter as well as salvation. If this is understood, then the phrase makes sense in the whole context of Scripture and of salvation. But from your perspective; it makes perfect sense since you believe you can lose your salvation, gain it back, lose it and all by your choice. Sounds like God is sitting back and just hoping and waiting as opposed to what He purposed before the foundation of the world.
 
Not all analogies are complete, Beth. One can simply jump back into the river and parish as they try to go back to the other side.

The both line of the analogy is, it takes Jesus AND OUR PARTICIPATION to get to heaven. We couldn’t do it alone, and He won’t force us to go without our wanting it more than our own very life.
That is interesting I wonder who would be that stupid? And I wonder how the lifeguard who loses none could have let that happened; he must not be in control - just thinking aloud, no need to respond. This subsrciption is rather depressing at best; so I am moving along to better waters.
 
The elder son is no self righteous hypocrite; he is an obedient and faithful son. Please show me from the scripture any hypocrisy or wrongdoing on his part. His father, (who represents God) acknowledges his obedient fidelity and promises to reward it. Does God reward hypocrisy? He needs to learn mercy even if he himself is not in need of mercy. To categorize him as the primary figure of the parable and to call it a representation of “evil hypocrisy” is not only contrary to the scripture, but distorts Christ’s meaning about the greatness of His Father’s mercy. You might want to read the Church fathers on the scriptures rather than some self-appointed expert
Read again; 28 But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might ecelebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, fwho has devoured gyour property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31 And he said to him, ‘Son, hyou are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting eto celebrate and be glad, for this your brother iwas dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’ ”

Israel was given everything and the Pharasees were the spiritual reps for the nation, a nation that God gave so much to and just as the son says he never disobeyed; yet that is exactly what he is doing at the moment he makes the claim, a hypocrite.

As I told NotWorthy, it is time for me to move onto better waters, the views you all have in common on this topic is rather sad and depressing to me; I count it as joy that my Savior saved me and keeps me saved. I had no idea that your church reaches a doctrine of losing salvation.
 
Hmm. I have re-read my posts and find it surprising that you think I have spoken bitterly or angrily. However, I appreciate your prayers as “the prayers of the righteous availeth much” and one can never have too many people praying for one.

Again, I don’t see where you see anger, slander and hatred. I think most people who know my posts here would suggest otherwise (in fact just a couple of days ago I was rebuked for “den-mothering.”) As for the Bible being a stumbling-block, far from it! It is the written Revelation of our loving Lord.

Now I’m really confused.

Apologetics tends to be a pretty free-wheeling forum! We enjoy lots of different kinds of discussion, and my intent in my post was only to question your repeated assertions that you weren’t here to challenge Catholic beliefs or to argue.

Thank you - may He bless you as well. I’m sorry that I have somehow come across in such an unfortunate and unpleasant way, and hope that we will be able to have more charitable discussions in the future.
Forgiven, apology accepted and appreciated and I concur with the last statement. God bless!

Beth
 
You know, Beth, I just don’t believe that God is going to drag anyone, kicking and screaming, into Heaven, against their will. That’s why it’s called free will.

But if–just for a moment, let’s consider what would happen-- If God did drag someone in, who had no desire to be there (& I know people who don’t)…
If a person were to be dragged forcibly into Heaven, it would be horrible! The Presence of the holiness of God would be like unending torment to that person.

Sometimes we have to back up a little, & consider what God’s Presence means to a person who hates & loathes the very mention of God…
No one will be in heaven who does not have the desire to be there. No one can do anything except that which is in their nature; which is why God said no one seeks after Him, not one and why He says we love Him because He first loved us, so unless God gives one a new nature, the free-will you speak of is the free-will to do evil in the sight of God.
 
No where does it say that in any of those parables that any statrted with salvation; that is imposing on the text and since this is a parable and not a real story, Jesus is making a point(s) to the pharasees, just as MacArtur rightly states because he is looking at the entire context of the culture, the scene, the chapter and the context of Scripture. Some of you seem to overlook to whom Jesus is speaking; something MacArthur does not overlook.

How do you gain, then lose, then gain again ?
Was the sheep part of the flock? And then it got lost? And then it was found.

Was the gold coin in the possesion? Was it lost? Was it found again?

Did the Son receive his inheritance - a phrase that St. Paul uses to to refer to Christians “who are saved”? Did he squander that inheritance? Did he receive all the family honors again? “My son was dead, but is alive again”. How can you believe alive AGAIN, if you were never alive in the first place.

McArthur seems to overlook the fact that all 3 parables are linked and the first two have NOTHING to do with the Pharisees.

McArthur is guilty of doing something that he’s done other times - letting his pre-conceived notions influence his mis-interpreation of Scripture.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top