And mass attendance rates are less than 10% in Europe because the Church is merely an extension of the government because it’s tied up financially and legislatively with it. People see it as archaic and a drag on society. Do you really want to go there?
I was born and raised in Europe and I can give you several examples from countries such as Britain, Germany, Italy, Hungary, and Romania, of Catholic schools taking public money and providing a faithful Catholic education in return. I don’t know from where you take the idea that the Catholic Church is merely an extension of the government in Europe, but in the countries I’m familiar with, this is not so.
In countries such as Germany, Italy, and Hungary, people can allocate part of their tax money to a Church of their own choice, and there are no strings attached. The Catholic Church has a solid income in the mentioned countries due to tax money, and it operates some really elite Catholic schools. Hungarian kids in general can run circles around American kids in regard to school performance, and this is especially so regarding the kids who attend the elite Catholic schools. Btw, Hungary just adopted a new Constitution according to which human life is going to be protected from the moment of conception until natural death, and marriage is defined as being restricted to one man and one woman.
In Romania, public schools are open to (Orthodox and Catholic) Priests and (Protestant) Ministers, the priests/ministers come into state-run public schools, and teach the catechism to public school kids, during public school time. Now if you want to say “separation of Church and State”, forget it. The state does not push Catholic kids to learn from Orthodox priests, Orthodox kids to learn from Protestant ministers, nor does it mandate atheists to participate in any religion classes at all - but the state does work with all major Churches, and it makes sure that all kids have access to religious education from a priest/minister belonging to each kid’s own Church or denomination, and this is being done in public schools, during public school time. This I call freedom of religion, and no bureaucrat in Romania dares to forbid anyone from using the words “Jesus”, “Christmas”, and so on, because people had enough of this cr*p during the former Communist regime, and they would tar and feather any bureaucrat who tried to mess with their religious freedoms again.
In Britain, there’s a movement according to which anyone, including the Catholic Church, can open schools and provide education using tax money - it’s a form of ensuring that the state does not have a monopoly on providing education using tax money.
I would appreciate if you would elaborate regarding where exactly is the Catholic Church an extension of the state in Europe. Maybe there are countries where that’s true, but as I mentioned above, this is absolutely not the case in several European countries.
But let’s return to the USA. What’s your opinion on the state providing tax money, in the form of Pell grants, to college students attending Catholic colleges. And that doesn’t make the Catholic colleges an extension of the state.
Anyway, if you are cool with the state taking your tax money and then dictating to you how and where your own tax dollars should be spent, how and where your own children should be educated on your own tax dime, if you are cool with that, good luck to you. I’m certainly not cool with that, and I want my congressmen to fight for school vouchers. School vouchers that will give the control of my own tax money back to me, to the taxpayer - so that I can choose any private school, including Catholic school, where to send my kids and my tax money.
Btw, the European system where taxpayers can redirect part of their tax money to a Church of their own choice, is something I wish we would emulate here in America. But school vouchers are another brilliant idea that we should work to implement, regardless and apart of any other ideas and solutions.