School shooter drills terrorize our kids pointlessly

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guinness
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could even see mandatory training for teachers, but training for kindergartners, 1st graders, and 2nd graders is silly.
I agree, no reason for students that young to go through something like that.

It was a good eye opener for the teachers though. The officers doing the training even mentioned that a lot of damage could be done before the police could respond. Not sure what the teachers are supposed to think other than it would be up to them to protect students. Just not sure how they are supposed to protect them?
 
I have to shake my head at today’s generation. Like another poster, I grew up with the three drills: fire, tornado, and bomb. No one ever even shed a tear. It was no more traumatizing than the drill involving lining up for lunch. At a younger age, there was a lack of understanding. At an older age, it was already habit. The fact is, all but the bomb attack will happen in some schools somewhere.

The author used the ridiculous analogy of not practicing getting struck by lightening or being in a car accident. Yet for both things kids do practice. They practice getting out of the pool when lightening is near. Such preparation is no more traumatizing than teaching children to buckle their seat belt. Perhaps preparation might be conducted in an insensitive way, but drills are not in and of themselves traumatizing.
 
Perhaps preparation might be conducted in an insensitive way, but drills are not in and of themselves traumatizing.
You obviously don’t have any idea what the teachers went through during the active shooter training or else you wouldn’t be comparing that to a tornado drill.
 
You obviously have no idea what I have an idea of, but then disagreement is often characterized as ignorance here. But I have to say, this is a switch. It is the teachers now who are the “traumatized?”
 
Last edited:
You obviously have no idea what I have an idea of. But I have to say, this is a switch. It is the teachers now who are the “traumatized.”
No, you can’t have any idea what the training was about or you wouldn’t think it was OK for young kids to go through it. I didn’t say it was traumatizing to the teachers, but I think it would have been to young kids.
 
Yet for both things kids do practice. They practice getting out of the pool when lightening is near.
I don’t think that analogy works.
This practice of getting out of the pool is a proactive measure to insure safety.

A better one is what to do if you are struck by lightning.
 
No, you can’t have any idea what the training was about or you wouldn’t think it was OK for young kids to go through it.
You know this how? Lack of agreement with you? I know people tend to confuse their opinions with objective fact, but the two are different. I think the error may be thinking of “the” training as a monolithic method that never varies. I only know of the training done in the schools in this area. There is no reason drills need to be traumatizing.
I don’t think that analogy works.
This practice of getting out of the pool is a proactive measure to insure safety.
The schools do not drill on getting shot, but to “get out of the pool” safely so as to avoid being shot. That is my argument for the analogy. If you do not agree, such is the nature of analogies. They work for some, not everyone.
 
According to the National Safety Council, chances of being killed in a mass shooting are 1 in 11,000.
Given a US population of 330M, 1 in 11,000 would mean roughly 30,000 people a year die in the US in mass shootings. That doesn’t sound even close to the real number.
 
Last edited:
Only reporting the stats from the NSC. Perhaps you could contact them and question their reports?

Remember, these are LIFETIME odds, not annual
 
Last edited:
Then fire drills, tornado drills are even more pointless
Tornado drills outside of “Tornado Alley” definitely are. Remember, what the author is referring to is drills for kids, not teachers. It makes sense for teachers to know what to do to manage their classrooms during a crisis, but it’s harder seeing the value in freaking out kids by simulating a shooting.
 
While there are some kids who are super “afraid” of everything (I know some kids who are afraid of electrical outlets), most parents raise their children to be confident.
 
While there are some kids who are super “afraid” of everything (I know some kids who are afraid of electrical outlets), most parents raise their children to be confident.
How do you teach children to be confident in the face of a school shooter?
 
I taught my child to be confident by ensuring he was prepared for emergencies and disasters. Children mostly fear the unknown. A child who is aware is more confident.
 
I taught my child to be confident by ensuring he was prepared for emergencies and disasters. Children mostly fear the unknown. A child who is aware is more confident.
How did you teach your child to be confident while staring down the barrel of a firearm with a crazed person holding it? In the Army, we were prepared by exposing us to live gunfire. Is that what you did?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top