Seriously, what's REALLY going on?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SeekNFind
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeekNFind

Guest
After browsing one of the popular Catholic internet dating websites, I realize there seem to be a lot of good Catholic men out there!!! Actually, this site restored my faith that not all the good men are taken. I have been really impressed by many of the profiles I have read. The men are handsome, educated, well-spoken, some are very open about being virgins or living chaste. Some of these guys are older, though, in their 40s and 50s and never married. Assuming these men are being honest in their profiles and not just saying what they think women want to hear, how is that possible?

I know there are probably an equal number of good Catholic women out there. So WHY aren’t we getting together? We know God wants us to be fruitful, multiply and raise good Catholic children, so why isn’t that happening? Why aren’t people getting together anymore? Even on these dating sites, members seem to be at an impasse and there is no real communication going on: men don’t write women or respond when the women do write; women are afraid to be vulnerable and hope a man will write to them.

What is really going on? :eek: Thoughts? Conspiracy theories? 😛
 
I’m not single, but my brother, in his late fifties, has never been married and lives with my mother (no he’s not gay).

He hasn’t had a relationship with anyone in many many years, and prefers to be left to his own devices and not have the responsibility of sharing himself with someone else.

And he has been on dating sites, but once it gets to the stage where the lady wants to meet him, he disappears.

I’m sure not all single, never married guys are like him, but I suspect a great many are – and are extremely set in their ways.

I do love my brother, but I would feel sorry for any woman who got involved with him, as he is completely self-absorbed and not willing to give.

Hope you find someone – there are some great guys out there I’m sure, but do be careful.
 
I’m not single, but my brother, in his late fifties, has never been married and lives with my mother (no he’s not gay).

He hasn’t had a relationship with anyone in many many years, and prefers to be left to his own devices and not have the responsibility of sharing himself with someone else.

And he has been on dating sites, but once it gets to the stage where the lady wants to meet him, he disappears.

I’m sure not all single, never married guys are like him, but I suspect a great many are – and are extremely set in their ways.

I do love my brother, but I would feel sorry for any woman who got involved with him, as he is completely self-absorbed and not willing to give.

Hope you find someone – there are some great guys out there I’m sure, but do be careful.
I suspect for quite a few of the older never married men, this is happening. You get to a point where you’re used to doing it your way for so long. However, some of these men express in their profiles a (seemingly) earnest desire to marry and have kids. Maybe they are extremely picky? I guess if you make it to 50 unmarried then you are less likely to marry whoever happens to be in your life.

The whole thing is very disheartening. 😦

This may sound crazy but I almost feel like it’s my mission to somehow champion Catholic/Christain marriage or sound the alarm in our churches (but being unmarried, I feel rather unqualified :rolleyes:).
 
Oh, I can come up with a lot of conspiracy theories. 😛

I would say that I don’t believe that no one is getting together. I know a lot of solid Catholic couples. A few even met via such online venues.
 
I think it has been easier for boys not to grow up until they are over 35. I think some of those in their 40’s and 50 are finally mature enough to handle it now. It’s just rather late.
 
Well, as a single mom in her forties, I can relate with your questions. I tried online dating a couple times then decided it was better to remain single and focus on my vocation as mom.

My experience was that men my own age were mostly trying to find women fifteen years younger than themselves so they could still have a family. I would occasionally get messages from men fifteen years older than me… Not a good match for a woman with a young child. And some men my own age were put off that I had a young child because they didn’t want to spend then next ten plus years raising a child.

Some “never marrieds” had left the Church for awhile and then had a reversion experIence.

Some just really were not marriage material - always looking to that woman from their past, or basically immature, or not faithful to the Church (a non-negotiable to me).

And quite frankly, I’m not convinced that my freedom to marry in the Church makes me “marriage material” either.

All that being said, someone looking for a spouse doesn’t need a huge pool of possibilities - just that one person God has chosen. So don’t worry about all the men that aren’t the right ones. Just keep seeking God. The closer you get to Him, the closer you will be to finding His choice.

God bless you!

Gertabelle
 
You mentioned “assuming they are being honest and not just saying what they think women want to hear.” Remember, even though it may be a Catholic dating site, it’s still the Internet. No dating site thoroughly investigates every person who posts to it. The Catholic (or other faith-based) sites may be a little tamer than most, but I’d be willing to bet next week’s paycheck that quite a few of these men are not what they proclaim themselves to be.

So I’d personally say that the assumption of honesty is a pretty big act of faith.
 
I don’t think there is any one reason that these men you are talking about are single. It could be a whole plethora of reasons. Thinking of this made me think of my mother and father who were 45 and 38 when they married (first for both btw). In my dad’s case, he just kind of lost interest. There was someone who he met in college who his dad didn’t really approve of for a few reasons so it didn’t work out. Instead my dad ended up serving in the Air Force in Vietnam and came home to farm with his dad and couldn’t really get out of that situation being the only son (he didn’t have a great relationship with his father either), and he probably had a lot of issues since by a number of accounts my grandparents were not happily married, and my dad lost his mother when he was 22. My mom had problems too. Her parents got married due to the pregnancy and were kids themselves (only 20 and 21 years old) raising my mother and her siblings. Unfortunately my mother got the brunt of the bad treatment and believed she probably wasn’t that great of a catch (which i have a hard time believing, but maybe). Anyway my parents met each other through personal adds in a farming magazine, and ended up hitting it off.

My point is that there could be any number of issues. It’s not fair to judge. Some people may have issues, some just missed the boat, and honestly some people like being alone .I wonder myself why i’ve never had a relationship at 23 years old, and honestly I think its because I was always kind of awkward and was treated badly in school and as a result i never really asked any girls out and feel sometimes i’m not good enough, but who knows. Sometimes relationships happen for people, sometimes they don’t. God still has a plan
 
…My experience was that men my own age were mostly trying to find women fifteen years younger than themselves so they could still have a family…
Well, a lot of men that age aren’t interested in a serious relationship and are looking for someone so much younger that they figure it can’t last. Just some companionship for a while. Particularly if they’ve been through a bad breakup. They figure women their own age are looking for ‘the one’ and don’t want to mislead the women or waste their time. They aren’t capable/ready/want to find something permanent but they want female companionship. They think a woman that much younger won’t really be interested in them long term.

As a single dad, I agree with you that the kids can be plenty to keep one occupied. I also agree that one must trust God and it isn’t about marketing oneself to a huge number like it’s your duty to be married again. It’s hopefully about being open to God’s will and taking things as they come, whatever His desires for you are.
 
After browsing one of the popular Catholic internet dating websites, I realize there seem to be a lot of good Catholic men out there!!! Actually, this site restored my faith that not all the good men are taken. I have been really impressed by many of the profiles I have read. The men are handsome, educated, well-spoken, some are very open about being virgins or living chaste. Some of these guys are older, though, in their 40s and 50s and never married. Assuming these men are being honest in their profiles and not just saying what they think women want to hear, how is that possible?
Some people have it more difficult to find a partner and some also feel their vocation to married life with a varying intensity throughout the stages of their life. In common words, some people need a longer time to settle down. Some are socially awkward in this or that way (which may be a problem when you try to have a relationship with them but it also may totally be not a problem as well).

Also, some men who are handsome, educated, well-spoken etc. are not actually successful with women. They get passed over or it just doesn’t work out. It isn’t always clearly explicable.
I know there are probably an equal number of good Catholic women out there. So WHY aren’t we getting together?
Because people and especially people of the 21st century can’t really just locate an eligible specimen of the opposite sex and marry. At least not in the Western culture. They need things to happen in a more natural way. Plus, attraction is a factor.
We know God wants us to be fruitful, multiply and raise good Catholic children, so why isn’t that happening? Why aren’t people getting together anymore? Even on these dating sites, members seem to be at an impasse and there is no real communication going on: men don’t write women or respond when the women do write; women are afraid to be vulnerable and hope a man will write to them.
At one dating website where I have an account, which used to be a Catholic one but isn’t really any more although the applicable fields still remain to be filled in in questionnaires, there are like almost 400,000 users. At this stage, I can actually recognise face in thumbnails that appear on the starting page under the “random 5” or “recently active”. (I’ve also learnt a heckton about people in the process.)
What is really going on? :eek: Thoughts? Conspiracy theories? 😛
(Of course. Conspiracy theories about dating are my favourite topic of discussion. Please prepare yourself for a loooong read.)

…But the typical problem is lack of sufficient cause. Okay, she’s kinda pretty. Okay, not bad hobbies or interests, at all, nice education. Not bad attitude. But what makes her different from 20 other people who fit the same description?

I can’t go and meet all 20 of them. Nor will I ever, ever solve such an issue by randomisation, whether picking the first one I came across or any, say 5 out of 20, or even those who live the closest but are otherwise not noticeably different, those would be really stupid, inadequate criteria of choosing. But the conclusion is at any rate that there is simply no sufficient cause in any of the cases.

That is not to say I classify the person(s) as not unique, uninteresting, etc. I suppose in more natural conditions I might perhaps become interested in some of them starting from a chance meeting at work or conference or another post-grad course. But then you deal with what’s coming at you, which is different, and you are naturally in a better position to appreciate the person’s unique qualities.

Another frequent problem is silliness or platitudes. If I see a profile where the question about personality is answered along the lines of, “variable, like any other woman,” I take it as a sign that it could be someone who can’t fill in a simple questionnaire meaningfully and especially in a situation where she should be interested in the outcome!

Yet another is politics. When I see a happy drone of the ruling party along with its media clique and attached moral authorities, I know that it’s pointless. It probably isn’t really, but I just don’t have the stamina or energy.

Perhaps something I should have mentioned in an earlier position is permissivism or indifferent attitudes. When I see answers like, “that’s a person choice,” “I don’t have an opinion,” on matters such as birth control, divorce, premarital relations, then like above, it’s not a pointless situation, it’s not a lost case by any means, but I simply don’t have the stamina or energy to go through it. A person with that type of attitude would find life with me very hard, and vice versa.

What else? I’m probably not going to write to a person who can’t punctuate to save his life (missing a couple of obligatory commas is one thing but altogether missing punctuation or completely messed up typography when someone has a Master’s degree is a different cup of fish). Same for grossly wrong grammar or syntax, especially when it obstructs communication or begs the question whether that person is really thinking logically, is really communicating.

I also skip some profiles based on poses taken for pictures. I remain aware of that a picture is just a picture, one of many, possibly random, perhaps an isolated occurrence (while the probability of the opposite is much higher), but the pose still has meaning, the choices made with regard to one’s own appearance or the scenery or the message to be conveyed, it all matters. As I said, I try to be cautious here because there’s a huge risk of mistake but in some cases I can tell that’s not a person for me. For example, as a “blanket policy”, I skip any profiles with pictures alluding to nudity or even jokingly conveying a sexually suggestive message. I just don’t want arguments about that with a future girlfriend, let alone wife. I try not to judge but I exercise my right to opt out of examining the possibility of a romantic relationship.

Sometimes a picture can tell a lot about personality or sense of humour. So it can send a powerful message (stronger than a thousand words etc.) that makes me identify a person potentially after my own heart. But in other, more frequent situations, it conveys the message that we evidently don’t really have a compatible sense of humour or balance between seriousness and light-heartedness, or sense of situational propriety. (For example, for me subjectively, both too serious and too airheaded can be a problem.) Again, I don’t expect any sort of perfect balance. In fact, I don’t believe a perfect balance exists, it’s variable. People aren’t that constant. But I can tell when we’re just not compatible. Or not compatible to the extent I’d desire because there’s no such thing as absolute incompatibility (to paraphrase a judicial expert appointed by the Roman Rota in one of the cases I’ve read the judgment from). Somebody who makes you laugh can be your match. Somebody who laughs at your jokes may be interested. Somebody whose jokes appear unfunny to you (or vice versa) is likely not a match.

Sometimes in some responses provided in open answer fields, I notice traces of attitudes or moods or personality traits that I’ve had to deal with the past and would prefer to avoid dealing with in the future. I don’t even mean anybody who just simply has some issues. Everybody has issues. The Catholic definition of normalcy admits of even moderate issues (to quote the Roman Rota again :p). But some people I just wouldn’t get along with in a romantic relationship. I could give more examples but here’s just a few: someone who always complains (a generally negative attitude), someone who has a visible grudge against men to the point of contempt or hostility (merely believing that most men are up to no good and cats are generally preferable is not something we’d significantly diverge on).

Other causes of skipping someone include contempt for my line of work or education (if she hates lawyers, then I guess we have something in common but the situation is kinda difficult if we’re going to click) or my hobbies or a character or personality trait I have. “Latin is for nerds,” “only immature men play computer games,” “a real man knows how to fix stuff without calling professionals,” “who needs a Ph.D.,” go on making statements like that and see if I’ll write to you. 😉 Not a chance, to be precise. I still respect you but I’d be missing something in such a relationship, probably a lot. If you believe I’m a scoundrel or lazy bum (or both) but you still want to marry me for some reason, then you’d better be prepared to provide a really good reason.
 
In yet other cases I simply see I don’t have what the particular lady needs. I respect her and I want the best for her, so it won’t be good to try and convince her. Both she and I “deserve” to meet someone we can more fully accept and be accepted by. Typical cases include persons who emphasise physical fitness or good health in their “ideal” man. I keep sprinting when I’m spitting out blood, so I guess I’m one tough bastard but the problem is I do spit that blood if I run half a mile. (And lungs are just one of the things that have gone wrong.) So if someone wants “good health”, then I obviously don’t qualify. So I move on. Some other girl needs a guy who will basically direct her life. I’m not that guy. Or a guy whose primarily role is to support her as she makes all the cool decisions herself or about their life. I’m not that guy either.

But sometimes it’s something less extreme (although still definitive) and by no means negatively charged! For example someone for whom being outdoorsy or sporty is so important. I couldn’t really make that person happy because I could only share in that to a limited extent and sacrifice is probably not what the person is looking for (neither am I, although I can appreciate it, am prepared to accept it, and know better than to devalue it). Not to the extent that person herself is invested.

Or someone who states her wish as having a most standard, normal family, with stability and comfortable routine where everything is predictable… (notably, this is a popular wish for a Catholic girl) which I most sincerely respect, but I just couldn’t really live like that (same reason as I couldn’t have the same job at the same rank and salary for my entire career until retirement), I’d need more excitement. Travelling, hobbies, some exciting entertainment, perhaps run for an office or take an interesting appointment, not exactly local–I wouldn’t mind being a traveller or diplomat and I also don’t work a 9/5 job even right now. Not a tranquil personality, either, or the humblest one around. I respect those people and their chosen way of life too much to attempt to try to divert them from it. Also, frankly, I feel like I would be missing something even if I succeeded. Apart from the fact I can’t offer them anything verifiably equal good or better in exchange.

Therefore, skipping is the most frequent decision I make when it comes to dating websites. I also give people enough information to skip me preemptively now rather than years later. Or rather than living out a disappointment. My profile actually lists the fact that I play Starcraft, can never find my keys or wallet or mobile phone, don’t know what job I’ll be doing in 5 years from now, don’t have a life plan, don’t engage in any physical sport. Not so overtly but I’ve also provided a practical sample of ways in which I can be annoying: writing a long column of text, using literally language rather than “keeping it real” (but at the same time enough tough colloquial talk to displease any softie), splattering it with trivia from all sorts of areas I can’t possibly be good at the same time, occasionally using foreign languages or going off on a historical tangent, or talking like a lawyer. It’s all there, (as much as I made the effort to make it attractive because I’m not an idiot who thinks the opposite sex should actually have to compete for his grudgingly given attention or anything like that.)

And I’m pretty sure I’m not the only person who has come up with a similar idea. 😉 Many people are non-horrible choices for many other people but not everybody is a great choice for everybody. And some people are outliers or even outcasts, those are generally a horrible choice for most people and only good for a few, great for a mere handful (if at all). Some people just want to find anybody but most are concerned with the proximity of the match. The more concerned you are with proximity (and the higher your proximity threshold is), the harder it is for you to find a match.
 
A couple of thoughts: There are plenty of absolutely wonderful Catholic men and women who would make wonderful spouses …just not for each other! People who would make wonderful matches for each other don’t always live near each other; even though online dating sites can match these people up it doesn’t mean the people are willing or able to overcome the distance factor.
 
As a Catholic happily married to an agnostic (after attempting to date Catholic men), my personal conspiracy theory is that there really aren’t that many good Catholic men. Whenever I would get to know a good Catholic man, we would discuss religion at some point. At which time it would come out that this person wasn’t really Catholic, but they didn’t have the intellectual honesty to admit that they weren’t Catholic.

So I gave up and found myself an intellectually honest agnostic instead.
 
As a Catholic happily married to an agnostic (after attempting to date Catholic men), my personal conspiracy theory is that there really aren’t that many good Catholic men. Whenever I would get to know a good Catholic man, we would discuss religion at some point. At which time it would come out that this person wasn’t really Catholic, but they didn’t have the intellectual honesty to admit that they weren’t Catholic.

So I gave up and found myself an intellectually honest agnostic instead.
I’ll probably end up marrying a Mormon or something similar. You’re right about the majority (95%) of young Catholic men. If I do meet someone who is actually Catholic, we’ll probably have nothing in common. Or he’ll be on a different continent. Or going in the seminary.
 
As a convert, I cannot speak to the search for a specifically Catholic mate. I was a devout Protestant when I was back at the age of getting married, and I knew that I could not marry someone who was not, at least, a Christian. Being Protestant, I didn’t place such a high priority on my husband’s sharing my “denomination”, as those are of lesser importance than the difference between Catholic and non-Catholic.

My darling husband and I converted to Catholicism about six years ago.

I do know, though, that our marriage is the direct cause of at least one of our friend’s still remaining single. He told us that, had he seen only the marriages of some of our other friends, he would probably have married any one of a few different girls he has known over the past years. Knowing us, however, and seeing our marriage have spoiled him. He wants what we have. 😊

Unfortunately, I don’t know ANYONE who has what we have, so I don’t know if that is a good thing for him or not.
 
I’m not interested in dating people on this site, but there should be a chat function on here. It would be entertaining at the least.
 
Oh, I can come up with a lot of conspiracy theories. 😛

I would say that I don’t believe that no one is getting together. I know a lot of solid Catholic couples. A few even met via such online venues.
Yeah, I’m exaggerating a bit but there are a LOT more single people today than there used to be. And most are not happily single. 😦
 
I think it has been easier for boys not to grow up until they are over 35. I think some of those in their 40’s and 50 are finally mature enough to handle it now. It’s just rather late.
Yes, protracted adolescence is real.
Well, as a single mom in her forties, I can relate with your questions. I tried online dating a couple times then decided it was better to remain single and focus on my vocation as mom.

My experience was that men my own age were mostly trying to find women fifteen years younger than themselves so they could still have a family. I would occasionally get messages from men fifteen years older than me… Not a good match for a woman with a young child. And some men my own age were put off that I had a young child because they didn’t want to spend then next ten plus years raising a child.

Some “never marrieds” had left the Church for awhile and then had a reversion experIence.

Some just really were not marriage material - always looking to that woman from their past, or basically immature, or not faithful to the Church (a non-negotiable to me).

And quite frankly, I’m not convinced that my freedom to marry in the Church makes me “marriage material” either.

All that being said, someone looking for a spouse doesn’t need a huge pool of possibilities - just that one person God has chosen. So don’t worry about all the men that aren’t the right ones. Just keep seeking God. The closer you get to Him, the closer you will be to finding His choice.

God bless you!

Gertabelle
God bless you too and I think making the choice to focus on raising your child. I haven’t noticed any blatant ageism on this website ie men limiting who can contact them by age however, I’m sure it exists. Plus, men are fertile pretty much forever so they always have that option of waiting and having children in their 40s or 50s with a woman in her 20s or 30s.
You mentioned “assuming they are being honest and not just saying what they think women want to hear.” Remember, even though it may be a Catholic dating site, it’s still the Internet. No dating site thoroughly investigates every person who posts to it. The Catholic (or other faith-based) sites may be a little tamer than most, but I’d be willing to bet next week’s paycheck that quite a few of these men are not what they proclaim themselves to be.

So I’d personally say that the assumption of honesty is a pretty big act of faith.
You’re right, however, some of those profiles are easier to spot because there’s usually a red flag in another part that doesn’t jive with the rest of the profile. But it’s important to have a healthy suspicion of anyone on the net.
 
I don’t think there is any one reason that these men you are talking about are single. It could be a whole plethora of reasons. Thinking of this made me think of my mother and father who were 45 and 38 when they married (first for both btw). In my dad’s case, he just kind of lost interest. There was someone who he met in college who his dad didn’t really approve of for a few reasons so it didn’t work out. Instead my dad ended up serving in the Air Force in Vietnam and came home to farm with his dad and couldn’t really get out of that situation being the only son (he didn’t have a great relationship with his father either), and he probably had a lot of issues since by a number of accounts my grandparents were not happily married, and my dad lost his mother when he was 22. My mom had problems too. Her parents got married due to the pregnancy and were kids themselves (only 20 and 21 years old) raising my mother and her siblings. Unfortunately my mother got the brunt of the bad treatment and believed she probably wasn’t that great of a catch (which i have a hard time believing, but maybe). Anyway my parents met each other through personal adds in a farming magazine, and ended up hitting it off.

My point is that there could be any number of issues. It’s not fair to judge. Some people may have issues, some just missed the boat, and honestly some people like being alone .I wonder myself why i’ve never had a relationship at 23 years old, and honestly I think its because I was always kind of awkward and was treated badly in school and as a result i never really asked any girls out and feel sometimes i’m not good enough, but who knows. Sometimes relationships happen for people, sometimes they don’t. God still has a plan
I didn’t mean to give the impression of judging, rather I feel like there’s a good number of eligible Catholic men and women that don’t seem to be getting together. But there’s no one reason, like you said. For a lot of us, it’s circumstances.
Well, a lot of men that age aren’t interested in a serious relationship and are looking for someone so much younger that they figure it can’t last. Just some companionship for a while. Particularly if they’ve been through a bad breakup. They figure women their own age are looking for ‘the one’ and don’t want to mislead the women or waste their time. They aren’t capable/ready/want to find something permanent but they want female companionship. They think a woman that much younger won’t really be interested in them long term.

As a single dad, I agree with you that the kids can be plenty to keep one occupied. I also agree that one must trust God and it isn’t about marketing oneself to a huge number like it’s your duty to be married again. It’s hopefully about being open to God’s will and taking things as they come, whatever His desires for you are.
The game-playing in the online dating realm is a little stressful, but I think a God-centered approach to courtship and dating will hopefully weed out those who are not serious.
As a Catholic happily married to an agnostic (after attempting to date Catholic men), my personal conspiracy theory is that there really aren’t that many good Catholic men. Whenever I would get to know a good Catholic man, we would discuss religion at some point. At which time it would come out that this person wasn’t really Catholic, but they didn’t have the intellectual honesty to admit that they weren’t Catholic.

So I gave up and found myself an intellectually honest agnostic instead.
That’s disappointing. 😦 I do think there are a LOT of nominal Catholics out there or liberal Catholics (liberal about pre-marital sex, birth control, etc) but I’m not giving up! I feel like I gave God a huge challenge of finding me a spouse when I became Catholic. Then again, maybe that was something I needed to do before He would lead me to the man He has in mind for me. 😛
I’ll probably end up marrying a Mormon or something similar. You’re right about the majority (95%) of young Catholic men. If I do meet someone who is actually Catholic, we’ll probably have nothing in common. Or he’ll be on a different continent. Or going in the seminary.
😦 That makes me sad. Don’t give up!
 
I’m not interested in dating people on this site, but there should be a chat function on here. It would be entertaining at the least.
Oh no, the CAF as a dating site… Like there isn’t enough temperature yet! :eek:😉
You mentioned “assuming they are being honest and not just saying what they think women want to hear.” Remember, even though it may be a Catholic dating site, it’s still the Internet. No dating site thoroughly investigates every person who posts to it. The Catholic (or other faith-based) sites may be a little tamer than most, but I’d be willing to bet next week’s paycheck that quite a few of these men are not what they proclaim themselves to be.
Odile, nobody thoroughly investigates the people you find on your path without the participation of a website: school, work, social duties, chance meetings. The Internet is but a medium. It’s important to know its weaknesses and potential pitfalls but at the same time it’s important to avoid falling into some kind of simplification that’s the domain of only the Internet and therefore the “real life”, as the opposite of the Internet, must be free of it. Because the sad truth is that deception can be anywhere.
So I’d personally say that the assumption of honesty is a pretty big act of faith.
It is. But it’s easier to suspend judgement while being cautious. Which is still much better than presuming dishonesty, while not significantly decreasing your safety. 😉 The fact that you take precautions doesn’t yet mean that you specifically accuse that individual of being (potentially) dishonest. It’s simply cautiousness with strangers. You can stop there without necessarily going on to the point where “he’s probably a con”. 😉
The game-playing in the online dating realm is a little stressful, but I think a God-centered approach to courtship and dating will hopefully weed out those who are not serious.
There is also the problem of those who are “too serious”. They have everything figured out and planned, they only need you to put in it. Except do you want to be stuck in someone’s perfect little plan. Sometimes it looks as if going out for a coffee or swapping a couple of mails isn’t far away from signing a mortgage agreement.

Then you’ve got people who seem to be making their mind too fast and too decisively in light of the objective circumstances (while you can’t really exclude that someone simply fell hard for you from first sight and obviously can’t start with a presumption that the other person is disturbed).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top