Honestly, clean up isn’t bad at all! I would rather clean a well-seasoned piece of cast iron than stainless steel any day. I mean, it can be difficult to cook over a campfire because the heat is so uneven, but that is the magic of cast iron! It evenly distributes the heat so (if you know how to build a decent cooking fire) it is pretty easy to cook with. Nevertheless, I have burnt the heck out of food over the campfire before- but I have never had any issues with cleaning the skillet. One thing to consider is that you aren’t supposed to use soap when clean plain old cast iron because it is so porous. I follow this rule to a certain extent. If my dish rag has soap on it I just go ahead and use it, but I don’t submerge the skillet in soapy water.
As far as camp food goes… it depends. The food I take while backpacking is VERY different than what I take on traditional camping trips. When backpacking I only take my nesting cookware (made of junky aluminum) because it is so light. This stuff is a nightmare to cook on for the most part. I also try to take food with me that has a low moisture content- watery food products are heavier.
Anyway, back to your question- when I am camping I ALWAYS take mountain pie provisions and my (go figure) CAST IRON mountain pie iron (you’re from Pa so I will assume you know what that is)! I mostly make pizza mountain pies but I also like peanut butter and marshmallow/ banana. On my skillet I cook things like potatoes with onions/ green peppers, wild game like venison with peppers/ onions, refried beans to make tacos, grilled cheese, eggs, and vegetarian faux meat products like tofu dogs and burgers (the only meat I eat is that which I kill myself). I also have an enamel coffee pot that I took all of the inner workings out of. I use to this boil water for drinking, boiling noodles, soup etc. It is really handy.