Wow, I have to say I’m really surprised by all the negative responses on this thread. If someone is non-catholic, but still a good person who may even have some interest in the catholic church, I can’t see why persuing a relationship with that person is a bad thing. I’ve already shared the story about my husband and I.
Anecdotal examples are nice, but are not something one should emulate as a general rule or base your own relationship on.
The Church prohibits marriages between Catholics and non-Catholics for a reason. One must receive permission (baptized) or a dispensation (non-baptized) in order to do so.
It is very imprudent to missionary date-- date in hopes of someone changing and becoming Catholic.
A non-Catholic already on the journey to the Catholic faith through RCIA might be a different story. But a non-Catholic or non-Christian in general is not a prudent choice.
My point is, it seems a bit snobby to just stick your nose up at someone who you could possibly spend the rest of your life with just because they aren’t catholic.
Everyone has their own list of must-have and deal-breakers. There is nothing “snobby” about knowing one’s requirements for a spouse and sticking to them.
My no-date list smokers, non-Catholics, and a variety of other critiera. Was I being a snob towards smokers? No, I was simply eliminating them from people that
I would consider dating.
Non-Catholics, same thing. I did not want someone who would simply “not” interfere with my faith or that of children. I wanted an active, equal partner with whom I prayed regularly, attended Mass, and shared deep discussions of the faith. I did not want religious division in my own household. If that’s snobbish then I stand convicted. And I don’t really care if that is the label someone puts on it.
Now should you date a satan-worshipper? Uh, no I don’t think that’s a great idea. But turning your back on a potential mate seems very wrong.
So you are willing to date high school drop outs, drug users, gang members, and even satan worshippers in the name of not turning your back on a potential mate?
Just because husband and wife are both catholic is NOT a guarentee that they will be together forever.
No one said a Catholic had an automatic pass. That is merely a starting point. My deal-breaker list included non-practicing and cafeteria catholics, those who rejected Church teaching on contraception, those living the bar scene, etc. My must have list included men who practiced their faith, did bible study, were leaders in the Church.