Sola Scriptura Defined

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fallacy on many levels.
Appeal to common practice.
Two wrongs don’t make a right.
Appear to ridicule.
Ad Hominem.

Wow, you sure make a good argument!

Nice try to avoid the reality of this by trying to point the finger at sinning Catholics who use contraception.
I don’t believe they are necessarily sinning.

They, and they are legion, are just ignoring your church’s teaching on the matter.
 
Ah, but your fellow Catholic seems to think this is a vital point. Perhaps our salvation hangs on it and Catholic’s are in no better shape than anyone else.

Shocking how useful that infallible magesterium is huh?
I don’t think he cited every single book, he just cited Mark.

No not shocking at all. Discretion is being exercised.

Especially when the book of Revelations comes into play. With the warning at the end of that book, discretion and caution come into play. Anyone who attempts to interpret that book is risking adding and/or taking away from it.

Some things are left well enough alone. Something Protestants know nothing about, they blunder wildly into Revelations like a bull in a china shop. :eek:
 
The Catechism is irrelevant? :eek:

I am on topic. The dogma of the Catholic church vs the sufficiency of Scripture.

I am discussing the issue with Catholics and pointing out that what I have said is in harmony with the Catechism which declares Catholic dogma.

Therefore I must be right. If I am wrong, then so is the Catholic church which has declared the same thing I have said.
“Show me where the Catechism says Paul received his teaching/ministry from the Apostles”. Do you think that the Catechism tells us where Paul received his teaching/ministry. Is this a matter of dogma?

Ginger, could you ever be wrong? You usually are. The Catholic Church is never wrong on matters of faith and morals.

The last tread I was involved with you got closed out cause you kept dragging it off into tangents.

peace
 
I don’t believe they are necessarily sinning.

They, and they are legion, are just ignoring your church’s teaching on the matter.
And they will be judged accordingly, everyman according to His deeds.

Psalm 62:12
For you render to each one according to his works.

Jeremiah 17:10
I the Lord … give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Ezekiel 18:27
When the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness … and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul.

John 5:29
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Romans 2:6, 13
Who will render to each one according to his deeds. … For not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified.

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the jugment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

2 Corinthians 11:15
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

So if these Catholics decided to damn themselves by knowingly rebelling against the Teachings of the Church, God respects that because He is the one who gave us Free Will.
 
I don’t think he cited every single book, he just cited Mark.

No not shocking at all. Discretion is being exercised.

Especially when the book of Revelations comes into play. With the warning at the end of that book, discretion and caution come into play. Anyone who attempts to interpret that book is risking adding and/or taking away from it.

Some things are left well enough alone. Something Protestants know nothing about, they blunder wildly into Revelations like a bull in a china shop. :eek:
I assume if it’s critical that we know who wrote Mark it probably isn’t a stretch to assume we need to know who wrote the rest? Maybe he has a particular fondness for Mark or maybe he isn’t logical.

You of course are right, some protestants in fact do blunder wildly into Revelations, much like a bull in a china shop but then w/ what Catholic eisogesis of scripture is, you get some pretty far out ideas too.
 
And they will be judged accordingly, everyman according to His deeds.

Psalm 62:12
For you render to each one according to his works.

Jeremiah 17:10
I the Lord … give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Ezekiel 18:27
When the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness … and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul.

John 5:29
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Romans 2:6, 13
Who will render to each one according to his deeds. … For not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified.

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the jugment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

2 Corinthians 11:15
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

So if these Catholics decided to damn themselves by knowingly rebelling against the Teachings of the Church, God respects that because He is the one who gave us Free Will.
I have no idea where you are going with this.

Is your point that contraception is sinful?

Is it we have free will? If you believe you have free will, quit sinning today, right now.

Is your point that we will be judged by our deeds?

I’m not sure where you are heading.
 
I have no idea where you are going with this.

Is your point that contraception is sinful?

Is it we have free will? If you believe you have free will, quit sinning today, right now.

Is your point that we will be judged by our deeds?

I’m not sure where you are heading.
I think the subject of birth control is off thread. Can we please stay on topic, or open another thread on your tangent.
 
I have no idea where you are going with this.

Is your point that contraception is sinful?

Is it we have free will? If you believe you have free will, quit sinning today, right now.

Is your point that we will be judged by our deeds?

I’m not sure where you are heading.
I’m just going off your original statement
Shocking how useful that infallible magesterium is huh?
And now you will need to open a history book to see that ALL Christian Churches condemend Contracpetion, but now the majority of them TEACH its ok. Whereas, the Catholic Church, TEACHES, its immoral.

Thats how useful it is.

Contraception is sinful, btw, but that is a different thread but this convince the unbeliever.

God Bless
 
I think the subject of birth control is off thread. Can we please stay on topic, or open another thread on your tangent.
You must be directing this to HailMary…that or you are blind.

Go back to HailMary’s intrusion and I think you will find it was he/she and not I that brought birth control up.
 
And now you will need to open a history book to see that ALL Christian Churches condemend Contracpetion, but now the majority of them TEACH its ok. Whereas, the Catholic Church, TEACHES, its immoral.

Thats how useful it is.

Contraception is sinful, btw, but that is a different thread but this convince the unbeliever.

God Bless
The so called gift of infallibility is a huge danger, and that is probably an understatement.

You have absolutely no way to test the doctrines your church teaches. They declare it and you are stuck w/ accepting it. Now, granted, if your church were infallible, what a wonderful blessing that would be but since it isn’t, what a dangerous concept it is.
 
The so called gift of infallibility is a huge danger, and that is probably an understatement.

You have absolutely no way to test the doctrines your church teaches. They declare it and you are stuck w/ accepting it. Now, granted, if your church were infallible, what a wonderful blessing that would be but since it isn’t, what a dangerous concept it is.
Do you also apply your “test” to the teachings of the bible? Or are you just as guilty of some sort of “authority” that put the bible together and declared what the true canon was?
 
“Show me where the Catechism says Paul received his teaching/ministry from the Apostles”.
My point exactly! :dancing:
Do you think that the Catechism tells us where Paul received his teaching/ministry. Is this a matter of dogma?
The point I am making is that Paul did not receive his ministry from PETER. Paul began his ministry in Damascus, then he went to Arabia, then back to Damascus but was forced to flee from the Jews. That is when he went to Jerusalem and saw Peter.
The last tread I was involved with you got closed out cause you kept dragging it off into tangents.
Of course it is all my fault. 😦
 
For every test, there should be a general answer. That being the case, who gives you your answers? Or are you the test taker and the grader?

Luke 10:16
He that heareth you, heareth me; and he that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth him that sent me.

Just curious, who do you listen to? Clearly Christ is saying you must be listening to someone. Is it your local pastor or yourself or your buddy at star bucks?
No idea what you mean.
What I was getting as was, this thread is trying to define the concept of Sola Scriptura a neccessary question has not been answered and that is where did we get the bible from? What body perserved it? etc.
Where we got the bible from.
 
Originally Posted by Ginger2 View Post
Paul said he received the Gospel from Christ Jesus.
He did but he received further instructions from the Apostles who knew Jesus, particularly St. Peter.
But the Bible says Paul stayed several days in Damascus, and he began at once to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, …
Paul began preaching in Damascus - not Jerusalem.
Paul said he received the Gospel from Jesus Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught [it], but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
You also failed to look at Gal 1:18.

Then, after three years, I went to Jerusalem, to see Peter, and I tarried with him fifteen days.

What do you suppose Peter and Paul talk about during those 15 days?
This must be your private interpretation, as Paul does not say he learned this from the Apostles, but says he received from the Lord
Yes but its not uniformed thant the narrow minded view of Protestantism.
But I want to be open minded about this. You are Catholic. You believe what the church teaches over what the Scriptures say. Show me where the Catechism says Paul received his teaching/ministry from the Apostles.
It doesn’t say it but Scripture as well as our Catechism shows that there was consistency of the Apostles and Paul to tell their followers to hold fast the traditions we have taught you, either by word of mouth, or by letter.

The Apostles received the Gospel from the very words of Jesus Christ. When Jesus ascended, Peter spoke first and preached to the people of Jerusalem. Saul, presecuted the Church and had an encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus. And he was with the disciples that were at Damascus, for some days, then he went to Jerusalem and spend 15 days with Peter. He saw no other Apostle but James, the brethren of the Lord.
And how do you know this? Do you think this is impossible - even for God? What does the Catechism say?
I know this because if a person who just converted and hunger for seeking God, he would seek everything he know about the Lord. I use to be a Non-practicing Catholic, and when I have a reversion of faith, I desire deeply to know Our Lord more by reading Scripture, and those who succeeded the Apostles. Paul, like any convert would seek to know Jesus.

I do agree with you that Jesus reveal himself to Paul, but I don’t think Paul knew everything about Jesus. Where he came from? How he came into this world? To know Jesus, you have to find those who knew Jesus personally.

Suppose I wanted to find everything about Pope Benedict XVI. Well, I would look for those who knew him, family members, and friends.

It’s human nature to find out the truth about someone they love. Paul’s love for Our Lord would have move him to do so.
 
Do you think you can explain what God has hidden …

…and those it is hidden from will suddenly believe because you explained it?

The church may teach. But if they speak not according to this word, there is no light in them.
Hey, I didn’t say “me”, I said the Church.

The same church that Jesus established.

The same church that in Acts 15 is shown to make a ruling about the Gentiles not having to be circumcised, which was not taught in the scripture up until that point, and Jesus was not walking the earth anymore to tell them what the answer should be.

The same church that Jesus promised the Holy Spirit to guide it to all truth.

The same church that was given the power to bind and loose.

The same church that was told by Jesus the Holy Spirit to help them remember everything that He had said.

Nope, definitely not me, I can have insights into scripture, but I can’t infallibly interpret scripture, only the church can do that.

And they infallibly interpret scripture with the Sacred Oral Traditions faithfully passed down from the Apostles, and the Teaching Magestrium of the Church.
 
He did but he received further instructions from the Apostles who knew Jesus, particularly St. Peter.
Of course he talked about Jesus with the other Apostles. But Paul saw Jesus face to face (so to speak)
You also failed to look at Gal 1:18.Then, after three years, I went to Jerusalem, to see Peter, and I tarried with him fifteen days.
That is what I said, "Paul started preaching in Damascus, then went to Arabia, then back to Damascus before going to Jerusalem to meet with Peter.

Someone insinuated that Paul got his ministry and knowledge of Christ Jesus from Peter when he went to Jerusalem. Obviously, Paul had been preaching for years before even meeting Peter.
What do you suppose Peter and Paul talk about during those 15 days?
What else? Jesus Christ, of course. What do we Christians spend most of our time doing and talking about?
Yes but its not uniformed that the narrow minded view of Protestantism.
:confused:
It doesn’t say it but Scripture as well as our Catechism shows that there was consistency of the Apostles and Paul to tell their followers to hold fast the traditions we have taught you, either by word of mouth, or by letter.
I have no problem with that. It is the new traditions that have come about from people who lived hundreds to thousands of years later that are not consistent with Scripture. For instance, would I go to hell simply because no one ever said to me “Mary never had any other children”?
The Apostles received the Gospel from the very words of Jesus Christ. When Jesus ascended, Peter spoke first and preached to the people of Jerusalem. Saul, presecuted the Church and had an encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus.
Exactly.
I do agree with you that Jesus reveal himself to Paul, …
Wonderful!
 
Not to nitpick, but is the authorship of the Gospel of Mark a part of God’s revelation and an “essential”.
Yes, because if it is not written by an authorized Catholic Bishop or Apostle, then it does not belong in the Bible.
I mean, what would be the big deal if say tomorrow we stumbled upon archaeological proof that the author of the Gospel of Mark is actually St. Peter. How would that really impact Christianity?
Not much, since both of them are authorized to write Gospels - but what if we came across archaeological proof that the Gospel of Mark was written by the heretic Arius? Then, the entire canon of Scripture would be in doubt.
By saying that it is a part of God’s revelation what you are saying is that the hypothetical above would be impossible.
The Tradition tells us that the Gospel of Mark was written by St. Mark, a disciple and scribe of St. Peter. That’s how we know we can believe what it contains.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top