Sola Scriptura Defined

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of things:
a.) The apostles were there to witness what Jesus taught and they were presnt at the council were they not?
The Apostles were there to testify the salvation of all people through Jesus Christ. The Council of Jerusalem dealt with the Judiazers who insist that before you can convert, you have to be circumcised.

The Council concluded under the direction of Peter, and the recommendation set by James, the first bishop of Jerusalem, that Gentiles should not be circumcised, but should abstain meats offer to idols.
b.) Nobody denies that what we find in scripture was taught orally nor does this fact do any damage to sola scriptura.
Scripture doesn’t teach that Scripture is the sole authority. Scripture does say that the Church has authority.
 
Couple of things:
a.) The apostles were there to witness what Jesus taught and they were presnt at the council were they not?
**
b.) Nobody denies that what we find in scripture was taught orally nor does this fact do any damage to sola scriptura.**
Do you know how (Edited) that looks and sounds? There were ORAL teachings and then it STOPPED when it was committed to “print?”

:cool:
 
Of course it does. They are in opposition, cause Sola Scriptura means nothing more than Scripture is necessary.
No, it doesn’t.

Now busy yourself researching any of the historic credal statements on sola scriptura to prove me wrong.
It doesn’t take into account that it was Tradition that determined what was in the Canon, and how passages were interpreted.
So, God didn’t have anything to do with it?

BTW, what did believers do until Trent?
Protestants do not want to believe that there is necessary to have a Tradition or an ecclesial authority to interprete what particular passages in SS are to be interpreted.
Not exactly. A protestant should not deny the authority of the church, maybe some do, but they shouldn’t.

Your claim as to the necessity of an ecclesial authority, by which you probably mean an infallible authority, is spurious. How many verses has your church actually defined for you?
Protestants privately interprete the opposite of what Catholics believe.
So when you read one of the thousands of verses that have no official interpretation forwarded by your church what is it you do?
 
40.png
Deconi:
Do you know how (Edited) that looks and sounds? There were ORAL teachings and then it STOPPED when it was committed to “print?”

:cool:
No, not really. What is confusing you?

What did the apostles teach that we don’t find in scripture?
 
(Why don’t you do your own research?)
Why don’t you back up your statements with sources instead of expecting me to believe everything you say, when so often you turn out to be wrong? Then I wouldn’t have to ask.
 
All those baptist preachers on TBN claim God is talking to them.
You know what he is saying: “Now is the time to hit them up for money”.

peace
This just in:

MORE THAN 4 OUT OF 5 US DIOCESES HAVE EXPERIENCED EMBEZZLEMENT OR OTHER MISUSE OF THEIR FUNDS WITHIN THE PAST 5 YEARS.***

catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=22414

While this doesn’t shock me at all what does shock me is the level of hypocrisy by catholics on this board. On the sex scandal that so hurt your church we hear all the time about how non-Catholic churches are “just as bad”.

If that is true, doesn’t it make sense that your church would have at least it’s share of financial scandal?

BTW, I am certainly no fan of TBN but those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw brick around in their living room.
 
That is very nice, but the council of Jerusalem was held in late 49 AD or early 50 AD, and the Gosple of Matthew was written sometime after 50 AD but before 70 AD.

What Matthew wrote in 26:28 probably wouldn’t have been in the written form yet, but it would have already been orally taught.
So…

Is this supposed to make a difference?
 
The Apostles were there to testify the salvation of all people through Jesus Christ. The Council of Jerusalem dealt with the Judiazers who insist that before you can convert, you have to be circumcised.

The Council concluded under the direction of Peter, and the recommendation set by James, the first bishop of Jerusalem, that Gentiles should not be circumcised, but should abstain meats offer to idols.
Do we disagree on the above? I may word it a little differently but in essence I agree. Is the above a refutation of ss?
Scripture doesn’t teach that Scripture is the sole authority. Scripture does say that the Church has authority.
The authority to do what?
 
You took yourself out of the Catholic Church on your own.
By what authority do you claim to know how God is working in other people lives?
There you go again with that “I was a Catholic” story, and now you blame God for your freewill choice.
I blame God for nothing.
I PRAISE HIM FOR EVERYTHING!!!
Once we get this “God speaks to me”, it is time to call for the crazy wagon.
You have so little faith that you don’t think God can and does speak to people He cares about? That must be why you can’t hear Him speaking to you.

Do you have a conscience that speaks to you? Who gave you your conscience?

Do you find comfort when you pray? Who comforts you?

Do you find answers when you read the Bible? (Edited)
 
By what authority do you claim to know how God is working in other people lives?

I blame God for nothing.
I PRAISE HIM FOR EVERYTHING!!!

You have so little faith that you don’t think God can and does speak to people He cares about? That must be why you can’t hear Him speaking to you.

Do you have a conscience that speaks to you? Who gave you your conscience?

Do you find comfort when you pray? Who comforts you?

Do you find answers when you read the Bible? (Edited)
I think you made the right choice.
 
Do we disagree on the above? I may word it a little differently but in essence I agree. Is the above a refutation of ss?
The Council didn’t refer to Scripture rather than the revelation revealed to Peter when God gave him a vision. “What God has made clean, you cannot call unclean.”
The authority to do what?
To preach the Gospel, to bind and loose on his flock, and bring salvation to all mankind.
 
God can only reveal the Truth. There are not differing truths - one for me and one for you. We are all either believing or not believing God’s Truth, which is the only one that matters.
I didn’t say that God reveals different truths. I said He doesn’t always tell people to do the exact same thing.To one He may say “go here”, to another, “go there” God knows what He is doing and how He wants to accomplish it. So if He chooses to raise someone up to serve Him without being a member of the RC - who are you to judge?
The Catholic Church is not a nation or a continent - it is God’s Church. Wherever she goes on planet Earth, she will go as a Catholic.
I was using the continents as a parallel scenario. Sorry it went over your head.
There is one that is bringing people into the Catholic Church, and one who is drawing people out of the Catholic Church, but they are not the same one - one of them is the Devil, cleverly disguised as God, and one of them is actually God. I know which one I think is drawing people out of the Church, and I’m sure I don’t have to tell you.
You really disappoint me. I thought so much better of you.

Mat 10:25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more [shall they call] them of his household?
 
By what authority do you claim to know how God is working in other people lives?

You have so little faith that you don’t think God can and does speak to people He cares about? That must be why you can’t hear Him speaking to you.

Do you have a conscience that speaks to you? Who gave you your conscience?

Do you find comfort when you pray? Who comforts you?

Do you find answers when you read the Bible? Oops, I forgot. You’re Catholic.
Your sterotype is not only false, it is rude. Catholics read the bible, and I daresay have more education in the Scriptures than you have.

Where do you get off accusing me of no faith, no conscience, no prayer?

God is not speaking to you. If you are hearing voices, you need help.

maranatha
 
QUOTE]

Is God speaking to those dioceses each day, like to Benny Hinn?
Are you sure you are not Nancy, who was banned a few months ago for bad-mouthing the Church (in big, bold red letters, like we can’t read)?

peace
 
You really disappoint me. I thought so much better of you.

Mat 10:25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more [shall they call] them of his household?
What is that supposed to mean. Are you calling us the devil?
 
Your sterotype is not only false, it is rude. Catholics read the bible, and I daresay have more education in the Scriptures than you have.
:rotfl:

I’m sorry for laughing, but you are so funny sometimes.

:rotfl:

You are reading way more into it than what I said.
Where do you get off accusing me of no faith,
I didn’t accuse you of having no faith. It was a question. Apparently I forgot to start with the word “Do”, but I did put a question mark at the end. Besides, it’s 100 times nicer than most of things you have said to me.
…no conscience,
Everyone has a conscience! It is one way that God speaks to us.

So, I asked if you have a conscience and asked who gave you your conscience, to make the point that God speaks to people.

You are the one that suggests anyone who thinks God speak to them is crazy. I am proving you wrong…
…no prayer?
I said “…when you pray…” that clearly suggest I believe you pray!
God is not speaking to you.
How do you know what God is doing? Did He tell you?
If you are hearing voices, you need help.
When did I say I am hearing voices? Are you seeing things? 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top