Sophie Turner mocks Donald Trump for 'calling Europe a country' during debate

• Thread starter Thread starter scousekiwi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your point being?

I never claimed Hawaii is in the American continent. I was talking about Hawaii being a part of the US.

So if one is born in Hawaii, he’s an American, right? Guam too, I believe.

But if he’s born in Canada, he’s not American.

Point being geography is not always precise.

Last edited:
I read a Maureen Dowd column in which she referred to him as an Irish pol and had pretty much the same reaction.

There’s a longstanding tradition in American politics dating to the 1800’s of attempting to garner Irish or Irish-American votes by taking exaggerated anti-British stances, known as ‘twisting the lion’s tail.’ Perhaps this is a faint echo of that, or a vestigial gesture of that? Is he at least known to have a history of pro-Irish voting in the Senate?

Last edited:
I am reminded of an American colleague of mine who remains oddly unaware of British culture despite living here for almost 15 years. Once when we were talking about Saturday Night Live, she flummoxed me by asking, “So, doesn’t Britain have anything like Saturday Night Live?” I said, “What do you mean?”, and she said, “You don’t have political satire.” So I said, “Well, we have The News Quiz, The Now Show, Have I Got News For You, That Was the Week That Was, Not the Nine O’Clock News, Bremner, Bird and Fortune, Dead Ringers, Ali G, Spitting Image, Beyond the Fringe, by some stretch of the imagination Blackadder, Yes Minister, Yes, Prime Minister…” I just thought it was rather extraordinary that somebody would think that Britain (of all countries) had no tradition of political satire while imagining that Saturday Night Live was the acme of the genre.

Last edited:
Those shows (as far as I know) are, excepting Blackadder, strictly political, whereas SNL mocks culture in general. In a way, it’s not a bad question, but if there’s an answer, it’s probably that England doesn’t have the same tradition of skit comedy that we have in North America, and which germinated in our coffeehouse counterculture starting in the 1950’s.

Last edited:
Oh, my colleague only watches the political stuff on SNL. She thinks the non-political humour is vulgar (she thinks a lot of things are vulgar). It may well be that skit comedy is uniquely north American. What we tend to have over here are sketch shows and panel games (of which I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue, described as “the antidote to panel games”, is perhaps the best example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back