Spanking may be linked to later mental disorders

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gift_from_God
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is far from perfect. I still don’t spank him.

. But don’t claim that spanking isn’t hitting or that you only ever use it as a last resort.
Like another here, I will claim this. I think you are dead wrong in your judgemental assupmtions of other parents. If you have data to say that spanking increases once it is used, please, show me. Otherwise I will assume that since you do not spank you are simply uninformed. So far it is 2-0 here that say that they can use spanking sparingly. As to whether it is hitting, that is simply rhetoric and an argument of terms. Of course you hit. :rolleyes:

I will tell you what, I won’t judge you for not spanking your son. Stop judging others for spanking when they think it is necessary. This is not a good venue for that sort on behavior.
 
Those that don’t spank have had their children called narcissist, with no sense of right or wrong, little Nero’s and the best one “drug-using, porn-obsessed, mentally unstable, slothful, suicidal and socially deficient.”

So if that isn’t decrying those that choose not to spank, what do you call it???
Good point. This too needs to stop. I am sure you know what is best for you child, and for you as a parent. That second point too is important. After all, there may be many good reasons why you can not and should never spank a child beyond just the damage you think it would do to the child. Believe me, I have no such issues though. I truly have never hit in anger. I have spanked in sorrow when I did it the first time or two. Now, it is mostly mechanical.

FYI - I spank once or twice a year, maybe twenty times a child, at most. In the case of my youngest, it is not going to be useful much longer.
 
Like another here, I will claim this. I think you are dead wrong in your judgemental assupmtions of other parents. If you have data to say that spanking increases once it is used, please, show me. Otherwise I will assume that since you do not spank you are simply uninformed. So far it is 2-0 here that say that they can use spanking sparingly. As to whether it is hitting, that is simply rhetoric and an argument of terms. Of course you hit. :rolleyes:

I will tell you what, I won’t judge you for not spanking your son. Stop judging others for spanking when they think it is necessary. This is not a good venue for that sort on behavior.
Make that 3-0. My mom slapped me in the face, once when I was about 10 and I came home extremely late from visiting a school colleague’s home. She also slapped me when I was about 13 or 14 and I lied to her while going with my bicycle on dangerous high-traffic roads, something that Mom never would have approved had she known the truth.

So, not only was I spanked - I was slapped! :eek: 😃 Still I grew up a healthy well-adjusted adult, I dearly love my Mom, and I’m not too mentally ill or anything - at least I hope! 😛
 
Like another here, I will claim this. I think you are dead wrong in your judgemental assupmtions of other parents. If you have data to say that spanking increases once it is used, please, show me. Otherwise I will assume that since you do not spank you are simply uninformed. So far it is 2-0 here that say that they can use spanking sparingly. As to whether it is hitting, that is simply rhetoric and an argument of terms. Of course you hit. :rolleyes:

I will tell you what, I won’t judge you for not spanking your son. Stop judging others for spanking when they think it is necessary. This is not a good venue for that sort on behavior.
Much like you, it is my observation. What I see.

Again, I have yet to MEET someone that uses spanking sparingly. Everyone I know, starts spanking and somehow turns it into their discipline method. They start with only spanking on the butt and it turns into smacking the face. And yes, they claim it isn’t hitting.

From another thread, posted just a few days ago.
How many times do we have to go through this. Spanking a kid on their behind is not “hitting.”
Oh, and add my parents to the ones that ramped it up after they started. I remember getting smacked because I told my parents that I didn’t want to move. Keep in mind, I didn’t use bad language or yell at them. But I guess by the time I was 17, they couldn’t turn me over their knee anymore.
 
I was spanked when I did something wrong. And you know what? I never did any of those things again. Not because I was afraid, but because I learned it was wrong. Two year old children cannot comprehend what you tell them. If a two year old tries to walk across the street telling them it is dangerous will do no good. You have to spank them because then they associate walking across the street with pain, therefore they will not do it again. I think there is a difference between child abuse and discipline. You do not do it because you are angry or enjoy it, and you definitely do not overdo it. It is simply for disciplinary reasons and you must have self-control. It is not for everybody, but it should not be shot down as child abuse. It works when done right.
 
Much like you, it is my observation. What I see.

Again, I have yet to MEET someone that uses spanking sparingly. Everyone I know, starts spanking and somehow turns it into their discipline method. They start with only spanking on the butt and it turns into smacking the face. And yes, they claim it isn’t hitting.

From another thread, posted just a few days ago.

Oh, and add my parents to the ones that ramped it up after they started. I remember getting smacked because I told my parents that I didn’t want to move. Keep in mind, I didn’t use bad language or yell at them. But I guess by the time I was 17, they couldn’t turn me over their knee anymore.
That was my quote and I stand by it. People who haven’t been abused tend to know the difference between spanking and abuse. I think it’s good that people who can’t tell the difference, usually choose not to spank, for fear and concern that they will get carried away, as their abusers seemed to.

If you cannot tell the difference between hitting (purposeless abuse, not discipline) and spanking as a means of discipline, then, by all means, do not spank. I can, I did, and I stand by my decision to spank my son.
 
I was spanked when I did something wrong. And you know what? I never did any of those things again. Not because I was afraid, but because I learned it was wrong. Two year old children cannot comprehend what you tell them. If a two year old tries to walk across the street telling them it is dangerous will do no good. You have to spank them because then they associate walking across the street with pain, therefore they will not do it again. I think there is a difference between child abuse and discipline. You do not do it because you are angry or enjoy it, and you definitely do not overdo it. It is simply for disciplinary reasons and you must have self-control. It is not for everybody, but it should not be shot down as child abuse. It works when done right.
See I understand you feeling this way. Except the bold part.

Isn’t there a way to defend your position with out putting my position down? Do I have to be wrong for your choice to be right?
 
I was spanked when I did something wrong. And you know what? I never did any of those things again. Not because I was afraid, but because I learned it was wrong. Two year old children cannot comprehend what you tell them. If a two year old tries to walk across the street telling them it is dangerous will do no good. You have to spank them because then they associate walking across the street with pain, therefore they will not do it again. I think there is a difference between child abuse and discipline. You do not do it because you are angry or enjoy it, and you definitely do not overdo it. It is simply for disciplinary reasons and you must have self-control. It is not for everybody, but it should not be shot down as child abuse. It works when done right.
When my 2 year old son crossed the street without me (I was hooking his baby brother into the stroller and turned my back on him, never imagining that he would do such a thing), I spanked him and told him “NO!” It was less of the pain than it was the shock of getting an actual swat on the behind (I may have given him 2 swats). No, he never did anything like that again. It may have been my fault in the first place, but I also had to make sure he never got it in his mind to do that again. His brother - that particular treatment would not have worked, so I never turned my back on him.

As I have said countless times, every parent has to evaluate each child and find what works and what doesn’t. Sometimes, spanking ends the misbehavior quickly so that the parent doesn’t get MORE and MORE frustrated and angry. There can be abuse from that frustration, once the parent runs out of tools and still has misbehavior to deal with. What then?
 
See I understand you feeling this way. Except the bold part.

Isn’t there a way to defend your position with out putting my position down? Do I have to be wrong for your choice to be right?
Not at all. I’m simply saying they won’t get the message if you go “Hey, crossing the street is dangerous. You can get seriously hurt.” They just can’t comprehend it. I’m not saying spanking is the only way, but I do not know how else you would get a kid to not cross the street without disciplining them in such a way other than keeping an eye on them at all times, which is impractical and impossible.
 
When my 2 year old son crossed the street without me (I was hooking his baby brother into the stroller and turned my back on him, never imagining that he would do such a thing), I spanked him and told him “NO!” It was less of the pain than it was the shock of getting an actual swat on the behind (I may have given him 2 swats). No, he never did anything like that again. It may have been my fault in the first place, but I also had to make sure he never got it in his mind to do that again. His brother - that particular treatment would not have worked, so I never turned my back on him.

As I have said countless times, every parent has to evaluate each child and find what works and what doesn’t. Sometimes, spanking ends the misbehavior quickly so that the parent doesn’t get MORE and MORE frustrated and angry. There can be abuse from that frustration, once the parent runs out of tools and still has misbehavior to deal with. What then?
Of course. Every child is different and responds to things differently. I just do not know how else you would make sure they did not cross the street. You can’t keep an eye on them at all times. Maybe you figured out how, but I know eventually I would turn for a moment to look at something and my child would be off.
 
I believe in spanking, but in all honesty it comes down to letting your child know you don’t take any garbage from them. I see all these Yuppie parents try and punish their child, like take one example.

The parents were trying to get their kid out of the pool and the kid wouldn’t budge. The mom would say “Jr. You get out of this pool right now or you’re gonna be sorry” and of course the kid (like all kids) shook his head no and stayed in the pool. So what happened next…did mom get in the pool and dragged the kid out and gave him a good swat and shamed him for disobeying mom…nope she just stood there like a moron making empty threats like “I’m gonna tell your father”, “You’re gonna be sorry.”, “I mean it!”, “I’m not playing around…” ect ect.

The kid knew as well as I did, that the mom was being walked all over and the kid was just seeing how far he can cross the line. Kids always do that, that’s why parents fail so much, because they think the kid is stupid and will react like Pavlov’s dog to idle empty threats. I know because I was a kid. Kids always see how far they can go.
 
Of course. Every child is different and responds to things differently. I just do not know how else you would make sure they did not cross the street. You can’t keep an eye on them at all times. Maybe you figured out how, but I know eventually I would turn for a moment to look at something and my child would be off.
No, you don’t do that. What I did was keep my hand on him in situations like that. Physically not remove my hand from him. I knew that he WOULD run into the street or run away from me, etc. and I could not take that chance. You just arrange your life when you have a more intense child. There’s things I couldn’t do once he arrived and we figured out that he was one of “those” kids. Like trust that any of the lessons that his brother had absorbed without much effort, would ever get into him. 🤷

Before I had kids, I used to think parents who used the kid leashes were pathetic losers. Then I had a kid that not only needed a leash, he needed a choke chain…LOL I always tell parents who use those, if I notice them, that I totally support them. You do whatever it takes for your kids to survive.
 
That was my quote and I stand by it. People who haven’t been abused tend to know the difference between spanking and abuse. I think it’s good that people who can’t tell the difference, usually choose not to spank, for fear and concern that they will get carried away, as their abusers seemed to.

If you cannot tell the difference between hitting (purposeless abuse, not discipline) and spanking as a means of discipline, then, by all means, do not spank. I can, I did, and I stand by my decision to spank my son.
Oh, I wasn’t abused, not in the sense of the word that you mean. My parents and relatives would have said I was spanked. The general public would say I was spanked.

I don’t remember saying spanking is abuse. I have said that it is the same as hitting. I will also say that I just want to scream when my friend hits her child saying, “no hitting.” :rolleyes:
 
I am always reluctant to get involved in threads about this topic, but sometimes I just can’t help myself… It seems it is almost impossible to have a rational conversation about this. Invariably, it turns into a debate of extremes (spanking is always abusive vs. not spanking = not disciplining) and blaming Dr. Spock for the downfall of society. What drives me crazy about this is that it seems almost nobody who interjects Spock’s name into the debate has actually ever read any of his work. For the record, he did advocate not spanking, but he absolutely did not tell parents not to discipline their children. Please read some of his work before you attribute all of society’s ills to this man.

Anyhoo…

I am not a big believer in spanking myself as a parent (my children are 3.5 and 1.5 approximately) . I have seen very few parents use it in a calm, sensible, manner (although I know it’s possible). Almost everyone I know that spanks their child does so out of anger or frustration, when they have lost control of a situation and their own actions. I can make sense out of it when it’s a reaction to actual physical danger (toddler running out into the street, etc.) because a parent is replacing true physical harm with a lesser imposition of physical pain, so it seems somewhat logical to me, even if it is not a method I use.

I think it’s doubtful that occasional spanking causes any significant problems down the road. When the method is overused or used as an inconsisentent last resort of a frustrated parent, and is part of a larger family pattern of inconsistent discipline and stressed out parenting, it can be more problematic, which is possibly the reason for the outcomes they show in this study. In other words, it’s probably not the spanking itself but the frazzled families. I also don’t think lack of spanking is the cause of society’s problems. There have been many societal changes over the last 50 years, and the decline of spanking is just one of them. I would venture to say that the demise of the stable family unit has contributed far more to the “issues” you see with children and the younger generation than use/nonuse of a particular discipline method. I think lack of any form of consistent discipline is a problem in our society, and I also attribute much of that to family breakdown.

Even though I choose not to spank, I think if a parent can do so calmly as a consequence and not as a reaction of frustration, they have a right to do so and I would not question their choice, because every family and every child is different. My own husband has never spanked our kids to date, but he is less opposed to the method in general, and it is not out of the realm that he might use it at some point if he felt other methods weren’t working in a particular situation. If that were to happen, even if it’s not what I would prefer, I would defer to him and stand behind him on it because he is my husband and the children’s father, and frankly he is more tenderhearted than I am, so I have no fear that he would ever be abusive. For me personally, the only times I have ever thought about spanking my son (the older of the children) have been when I have been angry or extremely frustrated. By the time I have calmed down enough that I would not be spanking in anger, I have thought of a better way to handle the situation. It is possible to discipline without spanking.
 
I believe in spanking, but in all honesty it comes down to letting your child know you don’t take any garbage from them. I see all these Yuppie parents try and punish their child, like take one example.

The parents were trying to get their kid out of the pool and the kid wouldn’t budge. The mom would say “Jr. You get out of this pool right now or you’re gonna be sorry” and of course the kid (like all kids) shook his head no and stayed in the pool. So what happened next…did mom get in the pool and dragged the kid out and gave him a good swat and shamed him for disobeying mom…nope she just stood there like a moron making empty threats like “I’m gonna tell your father”, “You’re gonna be sorry.”, “I mean it!”, “I’m not playing around…” ect ect.

The kid knew as well as I did, that the mom was being walked all over and the kid was just seeing how far he can cross the line. Kids always do that, that’s why parents fail so much, because they think the kid is stupid and will react like Pavlov’s dog to idle empty threats. I know because I was a kid. Kids always see how far they can go.
This reminds me of a story a friend told me about a relative of hers. It was pretty much the identical scenario at a pool, kid refusing to get out. Except this mom went in the pool, got the kid out and gave her one swat on the butt. Well, when she left the pool changing rooms, there were cops and a social worker waiting for her because someone had called the police on her.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top