M
mini_me640
Guest
I personally believe they were largely revolting against abuses of authority. They took it way too far in the other direction however. Just because authority is sometimes abused doesn’t mean there is no legitimate authority. At any rate, my point is that spanking didn’t stop the generation in question from moving down the path of “social degradation” as the other poster put it, so to say that lack of spanking is the cause of said “social degradation” doesn’t really add up.Dear mini_me640,
Cordial greetings and a very good day.
It should be noted, dear friend, that many of the ‘baby boomer generation’ were in revolt against what they deemed to be the austere and hidebound ways of their parents era. They were a part of that “whole generation with a new explanation” nonsense of the 1960’s and so were in the vanguard of those pressing for radical social change and the abandonment of anything that had the slightest whiff of conventionality. Indeed, it would not be overstating things to say that they relished negating traditional values and absolutes.
Therefore, dear friend, that the baby boomer generation had been physically chastised by their parents was probably one of the factors that fuelled their determination to overthrow the traditional order by starting radical movements introducing revolutionary ideas. Obviously they would have had a revulsion against any strict discipline and traditional methods of child correction, including corporal punishment, as these would not have sat comfortably with their new-fangled opinions. Moreover, they would have also totally rejected the Christian teaching that children are born with wounded natures, disposed to wrongdoing, and thus must be rigorously corrected and kept under discipline, sometimes by means of physical chastisement when that is appropriate.
God bless.
Warmest good wishes,
Portrait
Pax
I know that you are in the UK, so our frames of reference are different, just know that I of course am particularly speaking about the USA. Everyone always throws around the idea that people don’t use spanking anymore, and yet surveys of American parents show that the large majority have/do use spanking. Additionally, the socio-economic groups that use it the most are also the ones that have the highest crime rates for juveniles and adults. So clearly spanking is not the magic bullet of discipline that fixes all of children’s and society’s ills (I’m not saying that is anything you have said, I just get that implication from various people when this topic comes up). Obviously, there are many factors to the problems of Western society and it is a gross oversimplification to blame the use or lack of a single form of discipline for “societal degradation”. I do believe that lack of parental discipline in any consistent form is a major problem in our society, but I don’t believe there is any special power to using one form over another. I think failure to establish and consistently enforce boundaries is the main issue, much of which stems from tired, guilt-ridden parents of broken families.