Still Seek Answer: Free Will

• Thread starter Thread starter Greg_McPherran
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you Thomas,
T.A.Stobie:
Some of God’s graces for us require that we choose them.
That makes no sense because it requires grace to even choose grace. All is under God’s control.

I am open to a better explanation, but this is my understanding.

Thank You,
Greg

40.png
Greg_McPherran:
T.A.Stobie:
Some of God’s graces for us require that we choose them.
That makes no sense because it requires grace to even choose grace.
Greg, read the whole paragraph I wrote:
T.A.Stobie:
Some of God’s graces for us require that we choose them. He grants us all enough grace so that we can choose him and ask for more. We can also choose to reject him and deny the other graces.
We have enough grace to choose God, but not so much that we have no choice but to choose God, in fact, we can choose to reject God and even return some of the graces He has given us back to Him.

Hello,
T.A.Stobie:
God has limited Himself from forcing His will on us.
Then how can we be held responsible for our actions if God does not give us the grace to do His will?

Thank You,
Greg

40.png
Greg_McPherran:
Thank You Barrister,

In good humor I say:

Nonsense. God can overpower any man anytime.

Show me where I am wrong.

Greg
By reaching this conclusion, you do two things:
  1. You assign God the role of puppetteer;
  2. You render nugatory all of God’s exhortations, commands, rewards, punishments, and so on.
I picture God standing above a chess board, saying “Pawn! If you move two spaces ahead I will make you a king!” and then he physically moves the piece and takes the pawn with the bishop. Either you mock God since he’s telling us all these things in vain, knowing that it is only by Him moving the pieces that anything happens, or you mock us because any decision we make is completely useless.

God is rendered thereby a fool for having created a rational, thinking human being fully capable of free will, yet the ultimate operation and result of that free will is denied him.

Sorry, but God is no fool.

And of what purpose, then, is man? We understand that man was created to serve and worship God. Of what use is it to God to have a creature created for the purpose of worship, who is incapable of worshipping freely? Only despots and demons would force someone to kneel, and I’m unwilling to ascribe either quality to God.

So, it’s back in your court - prove to me that God is no fool.

40.png
Greg_McPherran:
Then how can we be held responsible for our actions if God does not give us the grace to do His will?
T.A.Stobie:
We have enough grace to choose God, but not so much that we have no choice but to choose God, in fact, we can choose to reject God and even return some of the graces He has given us back to Him.
We have the sufficient grace to do His will if we choose to do so.

Hello and Thank You,
T.A.Stobie:
We have enough grace to choose God, but not so much that we have no choice but to choose God
You are probing the mystery better however:

I disagree because if we choose God it can only be due to His grace and not any good that we have. Jesus said only God is good. Any choice for God or good is due to God’s grace and we can’t even choose good apart from God’s grace:

“Apart from me, you can do nothing.” - Jesus

Jesus leaves no room for our own power or will at all. Nothing is nothing. We are nothing apart from God - all is God.

Without God’s grace you cannot even choose God on your own. If a person thinks they can, then I would consider that pride.

What part of our will can choose God without his grace?

Greg

** III. ORIGINAL SIN **

Freedom put to the test

[396](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/396.htm’)😉
God created man in his image and established him in his friendship. A spiritual creature, man can live this friendship only in free submission to God. The prohibition against eating “of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil” spells this out: "for in the day that you eat of it, you shall die."276 The "tree of the knowledge of good and evil"277 symbolically evokes the insurmountable limits that man, being a creature, must freely recognize and respect with trust. Man is dependent on his Creator, and subject to the laws of creation and to the moral norms that govern the use of freedom.

Man’s first sin

[397](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/397.htm’)😉
Man, tempted by the devil, let his trust in his Creator die in his heart and, abusing his freedom, disobeyed God’s command. This is what man’s first sin consisted of.278 All subsequent sin would be disobedience toward God and lack of trust in his goodness.

[398](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/398.htm’)😉 In that sin man *preferred *himself to God and by that very act scorned him. He chose himself over and against God, against the requirements of his creaturely status and therefore against his own good. Constituted in a state of holiness, man was destined to be fully “divinized” by God in glory. Seduced by the devil, he wanted to “be like God”, but “without God, before God, and not in accordance with God”.279

399 Scripture portrays the tragic consequences of this first disobedience. Adam and Eve immediately lose the grace of original holiness.280 They become afraid of the God of whom they have conceived a distorted image - that of a God jealous of his prerogatives.281

400 The harmony in which they had found themselves, thanks to original justice, is now destroyed: the control of the soul’s spiritual faculties over the body is shattered; the union of man and woman becomes subject to tensions, their relations henceforth marked by lust and domination.282 Harmony with creation is broken: visible creation has become alien and hostile to man.283 Because of man, creation is now subject “to its bondage to decay”.284 Finally, the consequence explicitly foretold for this disobedience will come true: man will “return to the ground”,285 for out of it he was taken. Death makes its entrance into human history.286

401 After that first sin, the world is virtually inundated by sin There is Cain’s murder of his brother Abel and the universal corruption which follows in the wake of sin. Likewise, sin frequently manifests itself in the history of Israel, especially as infidelity to the God of the Covenant and as transgression of the Law of Moses. And even after Christ’s atonement, sin raises its head in countless ways among Christians.287 Scripture and the Church’s Tradition continually recall the presence and universality of sin in man’s history:

** What Revelation makes known to us is confirmed by our own experience. For when man looks into his own heart he finds that he is drawn towards what is wrong and sunk in many evils which cannot come from his good creator. Often refusing to acknowledge God as his source, man has also upset the relationship which should link him to his last end, and at the same time he has broken the right order that should reign within himself as well as between himself and other men and all creatures.288**
The consequences of Adam’s sin for humanity

All men are implicated in Adam’s sin, as St. Paul affirms: “By one man’s disobedience many (that is, all men) were made sinners”: "sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned."289 The Apostle contrasts the universality of sin and death with the universality of salvation in Christ. "Then as one man’s trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one man’s act of righteousness leads to acquittal and life for all men."290

If God does not force us then why did he make Pharaoh hard of heart, why did he **make **the Jews blind?

If God gives you some grace and you still choose wrongly, then God did not give you enough grace. It’s still under His control.

Where is that reasoning wrong?

[403](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/403.htm’)😉 Following St. Paul, the Church has always taught that the overwhelming misery which oppresses men and their inclination towards evil and death cannot be understood apart from their connection with Adam’s sin and the fact that he has transmitted to us a sin with which we are all born afflicted, a sin which is the “death of the soul”.291 Because of this certainty of faith, the Church baptizes for the remission of sins even tiny infants who have not committed personal sin.292

[404](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/404.htm’)😉 How did the sin of Adam become the sin of all his descendants? The whole human race is in Adam “as one body of one man”.293 By this “unity of the human race” all men are implicated in Adam’s sin, as all are implicated in Christ’s justice. Still, the transmission of original sin is a mystery that we cannot fully understand. But we do know by Revelation that Adam had received original holiness and justice not for himself alone, but for all human nature. By yielding to the tempter, Adam and Eve committed a personal sin, but this sin affected the human nature that they would then transmit in a fallen state.294 It is a sin which will be transmitted by propagation to all mankind, that is, by the transmission of a human nature deprived of original holiness and justice. And that is why original sin is called “sin” only in an analogical sense: it is a sin “contracted” and not “committed” - a state and not an act.

[405](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/405.htm’)😉 Although it is proper to each individual,295 original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam’s descendants. It is a deprivation of original holiness and justice, but human nature has not been totally corrupted: it is wounded in the natural powers proper to it, subject to ignorance, suffering and the dominion of death, and inclined to sin - an inclination to evil that is called concupiscence". Baptism, by imparting the life of Christ’s grace, erases original sin and turns a man back towards God, but the consequences for nature, weakened and inclined to evil, persist in man and summon him to spiritual battle.

A hard battle. . .

The doctrine of original sin, closely connected with that of redemption by Christ, provides lucid discernment of man’s situation and activity in the world. By our first parents’ sin, the devil has acquired a certain domination over man, even though man remains free. Original sin entails “captivity under the power of him who thenceforth had the power of death, that is, the devil”.298 **Ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action299 and morals. **

408 The consequences of original sin and of all men’s personal sins put the world as a whole in the sinful condition aptly described in St. John’s expression, “the sin of the world”.300 This expression can also refer to the negative influence exerted on people by communal situations and social structures that are the fruit of men’s sins.301

409 This dramatic situation of "the whole world [which] is in the power of the evil one"302 makes man’s life a battle:

The whole of man’s history has been the story of dour combat with the powers of evil, stretching, so our Lord tells us, from the very dawn of history until the last day. Finding himself in the midst of the battlefield man has to struggle to do what is right, and it is at great cost to himself, and aided by God’s grace, that he succeeds in achieving his own inner integrity.

Greg_McPherran said:
I disagree because if we choose God it can only be due to His grace and not any good that we have. Jesus said only God is good. Any choice for God or good is due to God’s grace and we can’t even choose good apart from God’s grace:

Jesus leaves no room for our own power or will at all. Nothing is nothing. We are nothing apart from God - all is God.

Without God’s grace you cannot even choose God on your own. If a person thinks they can, then I would consider that pride.

Greg

Now you’re hitting a *different * issue, and perhaps this is where the problem is occuring.

This is analogous to my example using the test question, a point to which you freely chose not to respond.

You have to agree that there’s a world of difference between God’s grace *enabling * us to make decisions and no free will to make a decision.

40.png
Greg_McPherran:
If God does not force us then why did he make Pharaoh hard of heart, why did he make the Jews blind?

If God gives you some grace and you still choose wrongly, then God did not give you enough grace. It’s still under His control.

Where is that reasoning wrong?
How did either of those two things affect their free will? They could still make decisions of their own free will.

God could strike me down. That has everything to do with my existence here on Earth, but nothing whatsoever to do with my free will.

God could make me blind. I would make different decisions (I wouldn’t go to the movies as often, for example) but my decisions would still be freely made.

40.png
Greg_McPherran:

Greg, you are mistaken here.

There is a difference between having sufficient grace to choose and superabundant grace where the choice is effectly lost.

Yes, we all, from the holiest saint to the worst sinner have grace from God. It is enough grace that we can choose for God, but also not enough grace that we can not choose against God. Even the Blessed Mother could have chosen to say no when God asked her to become the Mother of Jesus.

Do not fall into a Calvinist view that grace comes only in one flavor and form. They are many graces and many degrees of graces. Grace is not given just once at time of each being’s creation.

Without the grace of God applied at each moment, everything in this world, human, animal, plant, object, would cease to exist. This is the grace of existence.

T.A.Stobie:
Greg, you are mistaken here.

There is a difference between having sufficient grace to choose and superabundant grace where the choice is effectly lost.

Yes, we all, from the holiest saint to the worst sinner have grace from God. It is enough grace that we can choose for God, but also not enough grace that we can not choose against God. Even the Blessed Mother could have chosen to say no when God asked her to become the Mother of Jesus.

Do not fall into a Calvinist view that grace comes only in one flavor and form. They are many graces and many degrees of graces. Grace is not given just once at time of each being’s creation.

Without the grace of God applied at each moment, everything in this world, human, animal, plant, object, would cease to exist. This is the grace of existence.
Good point. Your comment on “superabundant grace” gives me a different perspective on it.

I think Greg is looking at this like an on/off switch. With Grace, the only thing we can choose is God; without it, the only thing we can choose is anything BUT God. This sets up a false premise, and, therefore, a false choice.

The truth is that God will always give us as much grace as we need, as much as we can take.

Did the saints have a superabundance of grace? Yes, and probably because they asked for it and opened their hearts to receive it.

Did the fact that they received superabundant graces remove their free will? Not at all. It’s like my example where the teacher tells the student the answer. The student KNOWS the answer is right, but is still free to choose a different answer. So, too, the saint is given the grace by God to see and know Him as well as any human being COULD know God, but no matter how compelling that picture is, the saint is still able to reject God.

The Barrister:
The truth is that God will always give us as much grace as we need, as much as we can take.
Some of these graces we have to choose to take. God does not force them upon us. We choose them and then choose to take more or choose to take no more. We can even choose to return some of them.

From what I see in Scripture, we really don’t have free will.

Phillippians 2:15: For God is the one who, for his good purpose,
works in you both to desire and to work.

God’s will - not yours.

2 Thessalonians 2:11-12: Therefore, God is sending them a deceiving power so that they may believe the lie, that all who have not believed the truth but have approved wrongdoing may be condemned.

God’s will - not yours.

2 Thessalonians 2:13-14: God chose you as the firstfruits for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in truth. To this end he has (also) called you through our gospel to possess the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God’s will - not yours.

2 Thessalonians 3:5: May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God.

1 Timothy 1:14: I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and an arrogant man, but I have been mercifully treated because I acted out of ignorance in my unbelief. Indeed, the grace of our Lord has been abundant.

God’s grace - nothing to do with Paul’s will. If God’s grace were not abundant enough, then Paul would still be in ignorance. This is God’s will and grace - nothing to do with our free will.

Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God that, although you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient from the heart to the pattern of teaching to which you were entrusted. Freed from sin, you have become slaves of righteousness.

God’s grace - not our free will.

Romans 6:22: But now that you have been freed from sin and have become slaves of God.

God’s grace - not our free will.

Romans 9:16-20:

So it depends not upon a person’s will or exertion, but upon God, who shows mercy. For the scripture says to Pharaoh, “This is why I have raised you up, to show my power through you that my name may be proclaimed throughout the earth.” Consequently, he has mercy upon whom he wills, and he hardens whom he wills. You will say to me then, “Why (then) does he still find fault? For who can oppose his will?” But who indeed are you, a human being, to talk back to God? Will what is made say to its maker,“Why have you created me so?”

he has mercy upon whom he wills, and he hardens whom he wills.

Scripture seems to make it perfectly clear we have no free will at all. It is all God’s power. Even if we reject God’s grace that is only because "he hardens whom he will".

Show me where I am wrong. I thirst for God. I thirst for understanding.

Thank You,
Greg

Hello,

Romans 9:16

So it depends not upon a person’s will or exertion,** but upon God**

Romans 9:18
he has mercy upon whom he wills, and he hardens whom he wills

Scripture seems to completely disagree with you Barrister and Thomas.

It depends not upon a person’s will.

We simply have no free will. This is the awakening from sin. This is the birth of God in us. As Jesus said: “Do not be afraid.” Don’t be afraid of truth. This is why the truth sets us free and we should tremble, because our will has nothing to do with anything. It’s only God’s will. Satan told Adam and Eve that they have a will apart from God’s this is the big lie. Don’t reject the awakening that Jesus brings. This is Satan’s lie.

Please show me where I am wrong.

Greg

Greg:

In terms of why God chooses some over others, I think that the best answer is that He does so for His own inscrutable reasons.

As you quoted, Romans 9 (excerpted):
13Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."16It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."18Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.
I think that Paul’s further exposition illustrates our proper attitude. The fact that God chooses to harden some leads naturally to the question about how a person could be held responsible. Paul does not answer this directly. He simply appeals to God’s authority and expressly says that we, as humans, are not qualified to judge God. In other words, what God does is beyond our judgment.
One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?” But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ "21Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?
This is an appeal to authority. I think it applies equally to your question about why God chooses some over others. God took the same approach with Job, to whom He never revealed His purposes.

T. More

Greg, please try to read bible verses in context. You appear to have been given a list written by someone who want to narrowly quote verses and not consider them in the full context of how they are written. This is not a Catholic view on how to interpret the bible.

For instance, 2 Thessalonians Chapter 2 is dealing with the war between God and Satan and the fact that some people will tempt you to God and some will tempt you to Satan. No where does it state which side you have to choose, but rather the effects of the choice when you have made it.

Likewise, do not add things to the scripture, no where in Paul’s writings does it state that God forced him to accept Him.

People choose to be slaves for God. I have. The Holy Father has. Many of the Saints have. It is our choice. We were not forced into it. We all had other options and could have taken our lives on very different paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back