Striving for holiness and union with God

• Thread starter Thread starter kira33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Teresa9 said:
Dearest Tru
Everyone needs like-minded people around them who can help each other grow in their spirituality, otherwise we would have the Priest come to our homes and celebrate Mass, but we don’t we all go to our Father’s house and meet together to celebrate Mass.
Dear Teresa,

Loneliness, isolation, rejection is part of our human journey. Jesus and Mary experienced the same feelings of loneliness we experience. But a servant will always get the company he needs, because the Lord is a generous master. Even when we have to walk alone… we are never really alone. When I red faithful’s post, it reminded me of the old saying: if you want a friend be one! That is why I suggested service: in service one tends to find like minded people.

40.png
tru_dvotion:
Dear Teresa,

Loneliness, isolation, rejection is part of our human journey. Jesus and Mary experienced the same feelings of loneliness we experience. But a servant will always get the company he needs, because the Lord is a generous master. Even when we have to walk alone… we are never really alone. When I red faithful’s post, it reminded me of the old saying: if you want a friend be one!
That is why I suggested service: in service one tends to find like minded people.Dearest Tru

You are very right, I agree with you. My addition was purely that if this person is already doing this and still feels they are not meeting people who are akin to her spirituality, then my suggestions may be something for her to consider.

As everything is gift from God you are right in that our friends are also gifts, but God doesn’t want us to be sad and alone, sometimes we need to experience this , yes, but God wants us to be happy and loved as well as give happiness and love, this is why He made the social aspect of life, of having friends, as Jesus Himself had friends. Everyone needs friends, especially, one special friend who understands us, one who shares our spirituality and can understand our thoughts.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
DBT:
PLEASE let’s not let this thread degrade into another battle over Centering Prayer . . . just my opinion, but this isn’t the time or place for that kind of debate.

Maybe I’m wrong but I’m seeing a certain spark in Kira’s posts . . . I’d hate to see that snuffed out over bickering.

Alan and Tru, I’ve read alot of your posts and I know where you’re both coming from. I also know your hearts are in the right place. But it also sounds like Kira really has her head on her shoulders . . . so let’s try to use this thread to encourage her 👍
I’m glad to have found that things improved on this thread as I went along !!
I’ve been trawling through this thread, thinking it is one of the most beautiful I’ve read, and getting very inspired by the balance and wisdom of the advice.
We do need to show sensitivity to new converts - as DBT is displaying here, and try not to get into bickering mode.

For some of us weaker types, negativity is highly contagious - I do so envy that earlier poster who is no longer troubled by what people think. Whew! That’ s a lofty spiritual state, IMHO. Bless you!! Pray for us all here!
I’d like to thank those who have taken the time to post at length here about their contempative experience - it really rings true to me, and I hope I have been able to benefit from it, as well as Kira33. It’s most heartening to realise that people can become contemplatives in the lay state, and it’s what I aspire to myself.

As a convert myself - Catholic for most of my life now - I do understand how you feel, Kira. It’s seems a bit odd that Catholics
tend not to talk ABOUT spiritual things, but in my experience, they are often “doers” of the Word of God, and they bear good “fruit”, but they don’t parade their good deeds or speak about them.
Also, the Catholic church has such a wide range of people at every imaginable stage of development in their relationship with God, whereas non-Catholic churches (in my experience) tend to have only the most dedicated in their ranks, and it easy to think they are a more spiritual bunch. No doubt they are. But the Catholic church is for saints and sinners, and one day you may be very grateful that there is room for all ! Not that I’m wishing you to experience serious sin - God forbid - but if you ever did/do, you’ll be SO grateful for the Sacrament of Reconciliation and the merciful embrace of our Mother, the Church!. And of course, you don’t have to be a “serious” sinner to feel this. The closer you get to God, the greater your appreciation of sin and of the mercy of God. “God be merciful to me, a sinner” is a scriptural prayer we can/should all pray.
Give yourself time to “grow into” the Church and the funny ways of Catholic folks!! It DOES take time, and you will feel pangs of nostalgia for this and that (for me, it was the “beauty” of the Anglican liturgy) for a while, but don’t let that upset you. Gradually you will be more aware of what you have gained rather than what you have lost. This is a natural, gradual process, and if it is painful, you can unite your sorrow to those of Jesus, our Saviour, and I believe you will be comforted! There’s been a lot of good advice here, so I hope you can take some of it to heart. May your Catholic journey be as rewarding as mine has been, albeit a bit up and down!. I get more grateful with each passing year.:love:
:blessyou: dear Kira33! (And peace to all here!)🙂

Kira,

Not much I can say that hasn’t already been said…I just want you to know you are not alone. I too am striving for holiness and union with God. I have been blessed to be a part of an intercessory prayer group that shares deeply these desires. Together we try to form and conform our souls to the will of God. My prayers are with you on your spiritual journey.
Jeanne

I’ve only picked this up late 10:20 est, but there have been many great posts tonite and I applaud all who have contributed. Those of you who seek a deeper spirituality should check out a local OCDS commumity, your yearning for deeper spirituality will be welcomed there, you will find souls on the same journey. There will be an organized study of the Saints of the order. Just a few words on correct terms, people meditate, God gives us contemplation, when and if He chooses.

40.png
Intercessor:
Kira,

Not much I can say that hasn’t already been said…I just want you to know you are not alone. I too am striving for holiness and union with God. I have been blessed to be a part of an intercessory prayer group that shares deeply these desires. Together we try to form and conform our souls to the will of God. My prayers are with you on your spiritual journey.
Jeanne
Together we try to form and conform our souls to the will of God.<<<
You and your prayer group have zeroed in on the absolute essential of all essentials:

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.” Matthew 7:21

Maria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back